UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:34 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:24 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-3 SE
So today I continued with my install of CD changer in the 9-5, I pulled the head unit and put in the one that came with the CDC, I changed the ViN on the Tech2, and both units worked.
I divorced the head unit, I then changed the VIN back , and skipped past the screen saying about divorcing audio before changing VIN, thinking it was a generic info screen, forgetting that I needed to divorce the CDC.
I changed the VIN, and then married the head unit, and then found that the CDC did not work, and realised that I had failed to divorce it !!

So I changed VIN back the donor, and tried to divorce the CDC, but it would not do it, press the button and 5e screen does not changed. i can still divorce and marry the head unit....... so I am thinking by changing the VIN without divorcing the audio CDC has locked it up to never be usable again..... is that correct?

Many thanks for any shared experiences on this.....

+others
Had:
'75 96 V4 Jubilee
'77 96 V4 L

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:07 am 
UKS Veteran

Car Models: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon, 9000 Aero
I am sure that when i added a multi changer to my 05 9-5 i didn't need to mess with the VIN numbers. I am sure i just went through the menu and married it and it worked ok.

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:57 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 2004, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3. 200k Milestone.
Mike9000Aero wrote:
I am sure that when i added a multi changer to my 05 9-5 i didn't need to mess with the VIN numbers. I am sure i just went through the menu and married it and it worked ok.

I'd be interested if this is the case. I have a cd multi changer unit sitting in my Saab spares that wasn't divorced, I keep saying I'm going to chuck it out because it's useless but if it can be married I'll use it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:00 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Mike9000Aero wrote:

if it was divorced then that is all that is needed.
The later cars (perhaps 2006 +) do not need to have the unit divorced first , as I understand it.

+others
Had:
'75 96 V4 Jubilee
'77 96 V4 L

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:25 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 1997 9000 Aero
[quote="2v4"

if it was divorced then that is all that is needed.
The later cars (perhaps 2006 +) do not need to have the unit divorced first , as I understand it.[/quote]

I am interested to know if there is any confirmation of 2v4's understanding (that a CDC can be married to a Dame with Tech2 even without having been prior divorced).

I have in my stash a Pioneer CDC from 1999 but with no other history. Assume it was from a 9-5 of 1998-2002 MYs.
It would be good to know if I might be able to install it into a 2006-2009 Dame, before I find myself with someone armed with a Tech2.

The reason it's residing in my stash is that my understanding is that to make any use of it, I need at least the VIN of the car from which it came.

Can anybody out there make my day?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:05 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

, I was meaning that to swap a CDC from a later car to a different later car, then the divorcing does not apply, , rather than fitting an earlier unit to a later can not needing to be divorced and married.
The CDCs from earlier cars need to be divorced from their VIN before they can be married to a different VIN..... but take car, as I seem to have locked up one CDC by changing VIN before divorcing it.....

+others
Had:
'75 96 V4 Jubilee
'77 96 V4 L

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 11:56 am 
Active user

Car Models: 1997 9000 Aero
Hello 2v4,
I'm sorry that I initially misunderstood the point you were making.
But now that I re-read your first post more carefully, I realise that I will need to be extremely careful with the sequence used on the TechII.
Many thanks for your help with understanding the correct procedure.
Kind Regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 8:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 2004, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3. 200k Milestone.
2v4 wrote:
, I was meaning that to swap a CDC from a later car to a different later car, then the divorcing does not apply, , rather than fitting an earlier unit to a later can not needing to be divorced and married..

What is a later car?

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 8:07 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

'Later' cars are from 2005 on I think........ in respect of CDC marriage, but don't quote me on that, but I did read it somewhere else on here in the archives (just can't remember exactly what it said)......

I can report, that I have sourced another CDC from a 2004 car, and successfully divorced it, as I had the VIN (bought from a reputable breakers) by changing the VIN temporarily in the normal way, AFTER having divorced the existing head unit I hasten to add.
You just need to be careful and methodical when dong this and divorce every piece of Audio before changing the VIN. Tech 2 warns you whether or not they are divorced, so the only way to be certain is to check the settings first.

So all working now, and I have a spare CDC that was working until I seemed to have locked it.... any tips on how to resolve that? or is is now only good for spares?

+others
Had:
'75 96 V4 Jubilee
'77 96 V4 L