UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Please start your project threads in ''Your Cars''. If you feel your project falls within the criteria of a Major Restoration or Project please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team. If deemed suitable it will then be moved from ''Your Cars'' to this forum. This forum is now closed to direct entries, anyone can post on threads that are already present and those moved into this forum, but they cannot start a new thread.

Post subject: Re: Reliant Fox A80CJR
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:57 am 
Arkwright.

Car Models: 99 Turbo, 9-5 Turbo Edition, Jaguar XF Sportbrake, FIAT 500 TwinAir
Doive wrote:
Espin99 wrote:
Just noted one of these coming up for auction.

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic ... x-pick-up/

Excellent, I recognise that car from various classic car shows, well known in Reliant circles. Although I'd be amazed if it makes that estimate - one recently sold, that had been one owner from new, then lived in a museum for nigh on 20 years, then fully recommissioned for sale. It was immaculate inside and out, and yet only made £1,800.

I quite like it and its in the best colour, hence why it caught my eye :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:06 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: Saab 99 T16 project
I've just found this thread. What an effort you're putting in, 10/10, subscribed :D

1970 2dr 99
1962 96

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:56 am 
Arkwright.

Espin99 wrote:
Doive wrote:
Espin99 wrote:
Just noted one of these coming up for auction.

https://angliacarauctions.co.uk/classic ... x-pick-up/

Excellent, I recognise that car from various classic car shows, well known in Reliant circles. Although I'd be amazed if it makes that estimate - one recently sold, that had been one owner from new, then lived in a museum for nigh on 20 years, then fully recommissioned for sale. It was immaculate inside and out, and yet only made £1,800.

I quite like it and its in the best colour, hence why it caught my eye :D

For info the hammer dropped on the yellow one for £5500 :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:14 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 95, 99, 900, 9000, 93, Sonett
Wow! That's an astonishing price for a Fox. Perhaps there is hope that we might get back some of our expenditure, if we ever sell it...!

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:35 am 
Arkwright.

I must say I was somewhat surprised after you said you had not seen one fetch more than £1800.

It did look very nice though and sounded nice as it drove into the auction bay.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Progress on the Fox has been at a standstill over the summer, as I was concentrating on getting our long stalled 99 project finished while the weather was favourable, and then found some hidden corrosion on our 95 V4 that needed attended to. Now that's done and access to the garage has been cleared, I was able to get the Fox wheeled out into daylight again, all rubbed down and the panels cleaned, the spray booth swept out and tidied up, then wheeled back in and prepped for paint. One other consideration is that the DeLorean is up for MoT at the end of January, and I want to get it down from storage prior to that, to attend to an ever growing list of jobs it will need for the MoT & general maintenance, for which I'll need the garage that is presently full of Fox and spray booth. The DeLorean has had no use at all this year because of the whole Covid situation & no classic car shows, but it really doesn't like standing about.

Painting is probably my least favourite activity when it comes to car restoration / improvement, I've only really done it before on a partial basis with spray cans, a panel or two at a time, and the finish has been average at best. To paint an entire bodyshell has been somewhat daunting, but have finally decided to bite the bullet and get on with it. Preparation and masking up seems to take weeks of work - I think I spent six hours prepping and masking, then a full two hours spraying primer. Kept mixing small batches of primer and laying thinnish coats, but by the time it was all done everywhere had at least two coats of primer.

ImageImage

Started at the back of the load bed, sprayed in round the inner arches and load area, then worked my way up around the inside of the B-pillars, around the roof, then down the inside of the A-pillars. Once that had tacked off a bit, moved back again and started the door shuts, tailgate shuts, then moved on to the exterior, again starting at the rear. This primer is lovely stuff, goes on with a nice even finish, and etches well to the fibreglass.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

The finished article looks fairly good, I just hope the colour coats go as well as the primer has done...!

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:35 am 
UKS Addict

First colour coat applied late last night, then left overnight with a small fan heater running in the garage to help the paint set, and to prevent bloom.

Unmasked it this morning and reversed out of the garage when the sun weakly limped above the horizon at about 9.30am, in the vain hope of attracting whatever warmth was available to help the paint harden off. All in all I'm fairly pleased with it, there's a few obvious bits that need more paint or that I missed entirely - it's so hard to see in the booth once I've been spraying for a while, particularly with this Cromadex, it seems to really atomise well and creates a red cloud everywhere. This coat was only ever intended to be a lightish dust coat, once hardened off I'll cut it back and then go for another colour coat.

ImageImage
ImageImage

I was fearful that there would be lots of dust everywhere under the paint, and that the airborne spray would settle on the panels and cause orange peel, but in all honesty it doesn't look too bad. It's certainly an eye catching colour...!

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:54 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 96 V4, 99, C900, C900 Vert
Looking good Doive, impressive. :P

C900S LPT Vert 1993

"We are one, we are SAAB"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:12 pm 
Arkwright.

Well doe :D

Looking forward to further progress reports.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:02 pm 
Shotgun

Car Models: 9-5 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
When you take a look back to see how it all began,....

And then, where you've brought it to so far,.....

You're certainly doing a fantastic job!!

I can't think when I last saw one of these on the road. It'll certainly be a very rare sight when finished, surely? 8)

Talking of rare, what happened to the Chevette? I've only just noticed it's not listed in your signature :oops: ( :cry: I have something of an affinity with them, being my first car after passing my test).

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
theres one round here ive tried to buy it = nope
they have a few odd things has one of these too always chuckle when i see them
http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2018/04 ... -show.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:47 am 
UKS Addict

Shalien wrote:
I can't think when I last saw one of these on the road. It'll certainly be a very rare sight when finished, surely? 8)

Talking of rare, what happened to the Chevette? I've only just noticed it's not listed in your signature :oops: ( :cry: I have something of an affinity with them, being my first car after passing my test).

It certainly will be a rare sight, I only know of a handful of others presently in a roadworthy condition across the whole UK. Production numbers vary - some suggest 600ish were built, of which survivors must be in the low double figures. Strange really, it's a fibreglass body over a galvanised chassis with a strong little engine, so in theory they should last forever. Only parts that corrode are the mild steel suspension and brake components - and of course the rollover hoop!

Ah the Chevette. Well, she's been waiting patiently in the restoration queue since 2009, getting overtaken by all and sundry unfortunately. This photo is from 2013, but she is largely unchanged, save for sitting outside for most of the last five years as the 900, 99, 95, Bug, DeLorean, Sonett, and now Fox have all received attention before her. Most unfair. I occasionally ponder over whether to sell her or not, as they are worth good money these days in any condition, but then realise I have a real sentimental attachment to these cars. Having spent the last 7 years welding up increasingly rusty Saabs, the extent of corrosion this car has seems somewhat mild! I have a complete genuine GM front panel and pair of wings to go on. Would love to just get it into the garage, strip it down, get it on a spit, and get on with it. With a fresh battery she never fails to fire up, even after 11 years off the road with zero maintenance. Superb little car.

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Weather forecast for today and the coming weekend didn't look too promising, with a cold front and heavy snow predicted. Sure enough we woke this morning to about 3 inches of snow and a bitter easterly wind. Cold and damp are the enemy of spray painting, and I wanted to get another coat of paint on the doors, as they had been sitting since early this year after rubbing them back for a final coat. Last night was cold but still and dry, so reversed the Fox out of the booth and fired up the little heater in the booth to try and get it up to a reasonable temperature. This Cromadex & thinners ideally needs 15-20C to flash off and harden, so my plan was to get somewhere close to the lower end of that if possible, spray the panels and let them flash off, then transfer them into the relative warmth of the house.

All went broadly as planned, took the doors out of the house as late as I could to keep them warm, panel wiped them down & tack ragged, and sprayed 3 light coats rather than one heavy coat, to try and give the paint a chance to tack off between coats & avoid runs and wrinkles. Seemed to work as I only had one run where I dusted over a little extra to cover a blemish, so I'm happy with that. Even with an hour in the booth and the little heater doing it's best they were still tacky to the touch, so very carefully and cautiously transferred them upstairs to the spare front bedroom - it's nice and warm in there, and they won't be disturbed by marauding house chickens. Will leave them there for a week or two before thinking about rubbing back.

ImageImage

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 5:45 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
Your determination is admirable. I hope it pays off.

I have been considering the jump from aerosol to home spraying but my thoughts were that without a heated booth it would be a summer only opportunity in glorious Scotland. Even then you would be picking your days. You sir are proving me to be a coward.

9-5 2.0t Airflow
XJ6
9-5 Aero
900i

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:49 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 11 cars
Magrew wrote:

I have been considering the jump from aerosol to home spraying but my thoughts were that without a heated booth it would be a summer only opportunity in glorious Scotland. Even then you would be picking your days. You sir are proving me to be a coward.

I have to agree with you Stewart.... you are a coward :lol:

Good job there Dave..
I seem to be losing garage space where I keep a few cars so looks like I might need to get rid of 2 900's and a 96..

Saabocus
Astra GTC
4 x Saab 96
2 x C900
B5 Quattro

RX8 B204

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:19 pm 
UKS Addict

Magrew wrote:

You certainly do have to pick your days, as I found out to my cost shortly after you posted the above statement.

Given the relative success with the doors, I thought it may have been feasible to give the whole car a second coat of red, but knew I would have to get the temperature in the booth up as high as possible, so excavated another bigger space heater from the motorbike shed and set that to work as well in the booth. Masked up the bodyshell and waited. Six hours(!) later the temperature of the surfaces was 12-15C, so I thought "yep let's go for it"...

Suited up, panel wiped & tack ragged the body, mixed the paint and set to spraying. First light coat went on fine, looked good, second light coat did the same. Waited a few minutes. Third light coat followed, and I thought "this is looking fine" - complacency comes before a fall, it was obviously too cold and damp for the volatiles to get away from the surface of the paint quickly enough, and the fresh paint started to react with the layer underneath in places, bubbling up like a cauliflower and wrinkling on the roof. Oh dear. Stopped spraying and turned the big heater on again, went back in an hour and some areas were still tacky - that's how damp it was. Left it for 24 hours to flash off with the heat still going, then went in to assess the damage. All the upper surfaces showed evidence of reaction, but the lower parts of the body were fine - obviously the heat was circulating well at a low level. Annoyed with myself, I closed the booth up and turned off the heat, and left it for the best part of four weeks over Christmas to fully harden off.

Dragged it out from it's slumbers just after new year thinking I'd have to take it right back to primer in lots of places to remove the reacted paint, so set to work with 500 grit pads wet, then went over that with 1000 grit pads to key the surface. Ended up going through in less places than I expected, but it's still frustrating, although it has taught me an important lesson about adequate heating & ventilation provision for spraying. When a paint manufacturer recommends 15-20C, they aren't just doing so for a giggle.

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:13 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
Sorry to see this development, not a disaster though, only a set back.

This hasn't helped me overcome my cowardice.

9-5 2.0t Airflow
XJ6
9-5 Aero
900i

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:10 pm 
UKS Addict

Magrew wrote:
Sorry to see this development, not a disaster though, only a set back.

This hasn't helped me overcome my cowardice.

As Clarkson might say, what's the worst that can happen?

I'm still glad I had a go in less than perfect conditions - every mistake gives a chance to learn and develop techniques, and know better for next time. Unfortunately this also means I'll need to wait until springtime probably before making a further attempt.

MY83 99GL
MY89 900i S
MY96 9000 Aero
MY02 93 2.2 TiD x2