UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:23 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:02 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: ‘05 9-5 Linear Sport Est Auto (now sold), Mercedes GLC 250d
Can anyone explain what the criteria is for ‘view new posts’?

Yesterday morning someone posted an add for an item for sale and it is still showing as I write this post. 13 hours after that post I posted an item and that post has not appeared in new posts, it was approved by a mod just before midnight last night.

I put the same items up for sale a month or two ago and they never appeared in new posts at all, just in parts for sale.

So it appears some sale items have additional exposure through ‘view new posts’ whilst others do not. How is it worked out?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 6:56 am 
Arkwright.

Car Models: 1981 99 Turbo & 1981 C900 T8 + Jaguar XF 250 S/brake & FIAT 500 TwinAir
Post moved to FAQ & Forum Admin etc…

“View new posts” works from midnight to midnight.
So a new post in the morning will remain in there for longer than one posted just before midnight on any given day.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:51 pm 
Saab Nut

Espin99T wrote:
Post moved to FAQ & Forum Admin etc…

“View new posts” works from midnight to midnight.
So a new post in the morning will remain in there for longer than one posted just before midnight on any given day.

So by approving my post five minutes before midnight the mod has effectively added it to new posts for just five minutes before it dropped off! Not very fair surely?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:13 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Models: 1981 99 Turbo & 1981 C900 T8 + Jaguar XF 250 S/brake & FIAT 500 TwinAir
So what your saying is the moderator who cleared the post approval list when they they were able, should not have done so?

Looking at the time (22:42) you posted even if it had been approved straight away it would have only been in “New Posts” for just over an hour.

Hardly the fault of the moderator that you chose to post so late in the evening yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:42 pm 
Shotgun

Car Models: 9-5 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
Personally, I navigate the forum by visiting the sections of interest to me. As such, I will always see which topics have been added or responded to since my last visit.

With regards to post approvals, I too "clear" the queue as and when I get a chance, and certainly not by any clock. During the week (work nights) it would normally be just before I shut the PC down for the night (likely around 23:00-23:30hrs. At the weekend it can be anything up to 01:30hrs.

To be frank, I certainly won't be changing how I offer/give my time freely to support UKSaabs Forum because it doesn't suit how someone (and/or others) choose to view/navigate the forum?

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:15 pm 
Saab Nut

Perhaps then I could suggest that where there is any sort of cut off it is shown in the ‘rules’ above the section. In the GM parts for sale it only mentions a 30 day auto prune.

An advertiser could then at least ‘try’ to time their sales post in order to maximise exposure.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:44 pm 
Shotgun

Car Models: 9-5 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
I'm sorry to say but that is a somewhat pointless theory given that sales posts are subject to Moderation, for various reasons. Given that we all give our time freely, and when we can, a post may sit in the moderation queue for an indeterminate period of time, subject to the life all us moderators have outside of the internet/forum. :lol:

den bara markerar sitt territorium

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:49 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
bpetersb wrote:
Perhaps then I could suggest that where there is any sort of cut off it is shown in the ‘rules’ above the section. In the GM parts for sale it only mentions a 30 day auto prune.

An advertiser could then at least ‘try’ to time their sales post in order to maximise exposure.

This may be a valid point for a sales outlet where sellers pay fees to have their adverts hosted in places with salaried staff administering the process......

Given adverts here are allowed free of charge, to remain in place for 30 days and/or be updated as many times as the OP wishes, all done by volunteers in their spare time..... It is hardly fair to expect parity.

I didn't even know about the 24h for new posts bit.
If you have a specific grievance with this, why not ask nicely if the software allows the time frame to be adjusted?

If you wish for maximum advertising exposure, I would suggest also submitting adverts on other forums and/or selling sites.