UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:44 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Models: enquiries@thesaabclinic.co.uk
So....
Im definately going ahead with a Double DIN. After much research im going to get a "Atoto A6 Pro".
Circa £280.
These have a really good Class AB amplifier section, and good customer support with regular Firmware updates.

Looking at my Single DIN slots yesterday it would appear the only headache is going to be the existing DIN slot guides.
Does anyone know how these can be removed ?
And does it require removal of the entire Facia panel ?.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:22 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Actually, just thinking. With all 3 DIN slots, and the bottom cubby removed, i could get in there with my Dremel and simply cut the bottom part away, while leaving the top guide in place.
Thats a plan !.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:11 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
You need to drill out the rivets that hold the guides to the sides of the aperture, or grind the heads off.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:10 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

OK the deed is done !. Only took about 2.5hrs.

Atoto A6 Pro. PRD model with the better Class AB Toshiba amp.
http://www.myatoto.com/index.php?m=cont ... d=15&id=51
£260 from Amazon UK.

Universal cage kit.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Steering wheel buttons kit.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

So i had to gently cut out 1 bar between the upper and middle DIN slot. I did this with a junor hacksaw blade held directly by hand.
This Bar was then glued to the bottom bar with Evostick. Thus filling the 10mm gap at the bottom of the stereo.

Metal sections for the internal slider supports cut out with my dremmel. This was really easy. Just got the dremmel inside and scored a line along the bracket. Did not have to go too deep. Then just used pliers to work half of the bracket until it snapped off.

Fitted the cage, and pushed out required tabs so it was really tight in the dash.
The Atoto head unit came with 3 different ISO harnesses. One of them was perfect for the Saab connections.
At this point the under seat Nokia amp is now disconnected as the Atoto sounds much better. It has 4x 28w RMS from its Toshiba Class AB amp.

I also have some steering wheel buttons to add. For now ive connected the module already, but not fitted the buttons yet. I have a Carlsson steering wheel to put on so will wait until thats done.

Overall super pleased !.
The stereo is really quick to use. It turns on in 2 seconds from flicking the ignition. It will stay booted-up and in standby for 1 week if left alone. After that it will shutdown fully to protect the battery. The screen is quick and fluid and google maps works a treat.
I put the GPS antenna on top of the dash.
Wired the MIC up near the map light. And left the WiFi antenna on the inside of the dash out of the way, hidden.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:42 am 
UKS Addict

Location: Lurking ........ in the Paradise that is Bournemouth
Car Models: 9000 2.3 Luxobarge Auto & Fast
Hello Paul
Much impressed by your double din project which I intend to copy in the Luxobarge, looks almost oem.
If you were planning the project now, what unit would you buy? Amazon has such a choice and am bewildered....pretty OK with the fettling to the dash, but a complete numpty with car electrics, so ease of connection is a must. Looking for Bluetooth for the phone calls/music satnav and support for a rear camera....and the SAAB logo as gui would be nice.
Any guidance gratefully received.
Kind regards

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:48 am 
UKSaabs Trader

I would go for the newer Atoto S8 series.
They are the best android units by far. Plus their support and firmware updates are really good.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:55 am 
Active user

Car Models: 9-5
Very neat job, nicely done

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:57 am 
UKS Addict

Thank you Paul
The S8 is single Din with the screen sitting proud, will need some careful measuring to ensure nothing else is covered, though it will save needing to butcher the fascia, which is probably a good thing...

Off topic: I see from another thread you have/had a scrapper. I am looking for a steering wheel squib. I have a genuine SAAB Momo steering wheel fitted (from a 900) and connect the horn using the squib, the Momo adaptor does chew up the connector after a few years resulting in odd horn beeps on full lock....needs changing

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:51 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

LoganSaab wrote:
Thank you Paul
The S8 is single Din with the screen sitting proud, will need some careful measuring to ensure nothing else is covered, though it will save needing to butcher the fascia, which is probably a good thing...

Off topic: I see from another thread you have/had a scrapper. I am looking for a steering wheel squib. I have a genuine SAAB Momo steering wheel fitted (from a 900) and connect the horn using the squib, the Momo adaptor does chew up the connector after a few years resulting in odd horn beeps on full lock....needs changing

They do offer a S8 in Double DIN 7" format as well.

Re Steering wheel, the scrapper went at 9am this morning, so its gone.
If you look on my Red beast thread in the Your Cars section. You will see the part numbers of the Non-Air bag support bracket that you need.

Actually, here you go, page 7.
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=198465&start=120

Saab part 9500513

Heres one in Italy for 46 quid. Funily enough thats where i got my one from too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264207231303 ... Sw2vJcbmuL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:53 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

LoganSaab wrote:
Thank you Paul
The S8 is single Din with the screen sitting proud,

S8 Ultra in double DIN format. If i change my A6 Pro PRB, i will go for this one.
http://www.myatoto.com/index.php?m=cont ... d=15&id=68

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:07 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

LoganSaab wrote:
Hello Paul
Much impressed by your double din project which I intend to copy in the Luxobarge, looks almost oem.
If you were planning the project now, what unit would you buy? Amazon has such a choice and am bewildered....pretty OK with the fettling to the dash, but a complete numpty with car electrics, so ease of connection is a must. Looking for Bluetooth for the phone calls/music satnav and support for a rear camera....and the SAAB logo as gui would be nice.
Any guidance gratefully received.
Kind regards

My Atoto A6 Pro PRB is running GoogleMaps for the SatNav. With a full map of the south of england download onto the internal storage. So its very quick and snappy.

And you can see here running DashCommand which gives you all kinds of live data direct from Trionic5. There are 100's of dashboard layout templates to choose from.
Plus it can do OBDII diags direct from the headunit.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:37 pm 
UKS Addict

Paul
Many thanks for the comprehensive replies and the info and link for the steering wheel.
Shows the difference between a SAAB master technician and a clumsy but enthusiastic bodger !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Finally done it and fitted.

On your recommendation purchased the Atoto S8 Premium. A bit daunting as anything electrical is a strange land and auto electrics are pure witchcraft, but the loom supplied with the kit is comphrensive and is straight plug and play (ISO A).

I have fitted the unit in the lower din slots so that the cupholder is in the top slot and no longer fouls the gear lever. I removed entirely the whole original din cage/sliders and after carefully cutting the trim centred/positioned the universal double din cage which is securely fixed and then packed the voids at the sides with hard foam to stop any potential squeaks etc. The satnav aerial is on the dash top in front of the little sun gizmo for the aircon and the WiFi and radio aerials are to the left and right (I have removed the original electric aerial because its been pita for years). I have opted for the reversing camera, but rather than remove loads of trim and struggle with routing a cable through to the hatch...have opted for a wireless sender receiver...not fitted yet, but it takes feed from the reversing light, will do that job later and can also fit the better uncracked rear panel that is stashed somewhere in my shed..and as I will be drilling and unscrewing things I might finally get around to also fitting the pristine Carlson spoiler!

I spent a couple of hours on amazon measuring up various double din trims and bought on spec a trim from an Audi and Peugeot and think a SEAT of some variety, with a bit of dremel work one will fit covering the gaps and look oem.

Usual learning curve with new kit figuring out the controls, but now have everything set up to my satisfaction. The equaliser is very clever and has excellent sound.

One snag, minor, is that there is no SAAB logo in the folder for the start screen, Atoto customer service have promised to find a solution....in the meantime I've opted for Aston Martin :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Will post some photos of the instal when I have re-aquainted myself with photo hosting....