UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2021 7:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Trying to sort the dash on my rescue project. Radio comes up with 4 dashes. Press and hold band button and get Code In.Input code from the document wallet and.....nada. Back to 4 dashes. tried again same result. I suspect the head is not the original and the code in the documents is therefore irrelevant, so i'm stuck. Is there any way of reading and/or resetting the code in the head or is it essentially scrap?

Last edited by razani67 on Thu Oct 14, 2021 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:01 am 
UKS Veteran

Car Models: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon, 9000 Aero
Saab used to assist with this at one time - worth ringing a good Saab indy to see if they can find or have access to these records - doubtful but worth a call? Maybe a call to Clarion?

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm 
Saab Nut

Had a bit of luck. Pulled the radio head and the serial no. did not match the one on the blue radio card with the documents, so it was a replacement. Scratched into the casing was another 4 digit no. Tried that and.... nothing. Left radio switched on for a couple of hours and went back. It works now. Now the aerial has stopped working...... I'll check that out tomorrow.
Still like to know if it's possible to recover/reset the code though.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:11 am 
Saab Nut

Radio now working. Car did not have a cd but fitted one from my stock and that works fine. Trouble now is the aerial does not work. I rebuilt it some months ago with a new rack and was very pleased with how smoothly it operated but now I can't get it to work. Other than the co-ax there are just 2 wires to the aerial, a red and green. I have checked the connector and have a permanent 12v on the red and a switched 12v on the green with ignition and radio switched on. I think this is correct so I am getting power to the aerial and the wiring is ok.. I suspect that little black box on the side of the mast (relay?) but it doesn't look easily removable. I will check the 2 small earth connections on the mast which is a bit of a flakey design but if anyone has any ideas and would like to comment, much appreciated as always

EDIT; It was that earth connection to the mast. It's a shoddy affair most unlike Saab. It is a small screw that goes through the plastic sleeve at the bottom of the mast. It needs to be an exact length to make contact but is threaded in the plastic so cant take too much torque. Tightened up 1/2 turn and ok. I'll look at making a more secure earth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:52 pm 
Saab Nut

All sorted now. The earthing screw is that little one now pinning the 2 red terminals ( right of the motor casing ) on the earth wire I rigged up. The mast is earthed under the jubilee clip with the other end finishing in a terminal at the earthing screw. Then rigged up another earth from there to the oem chassis earth under the n/s rear light cluster. I also put a piece of Al bottle top at the bottom of the hole for that pesky earthing screw so belt and bracers. Note that earth screw earths the motor to the mast via a short connecting strap.
Having cleaned and rebuilt the aerial with a galvanised support plate I was not best pleased when it failed but a simple fix really. A bit of a bodge but far better than the oem attempt.
[url]vImage[/url]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:14 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 1997 9000 Aero
Hello Roger,
Can I ask what is best to do with the clear plastic drain hose?
When I removed my unit, the drain hose was just dangling loose in the chasm between the lower panels of the rear quarter. (As you had found in an earlier post, I recall).
There are two drain holes in that lower bodywork. One takes the drain hose from the box under the rear air vent, with a chunky grommet.
But (at least in my 1997 car) there is no grommet on the second hole and it appears not-easy to guide the clear plastic hose from the aerial motor unit into it.
Thankyou for any advice.
With Kind Regards,
Mark

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:57 pm 
Saab Nut

You have 2 holes in the side plate. One takes the drain from the rear vent collector, the other takes the drain from the sunroof. If you dont have a sunroof there should be a blanking grommet. The drain from the aerial just empties into the space. There is no provision for it to poke outside. At least that is the case on my cars but I can't swear that the sideplates are not oem, It is a known rust area and many 9000 have now had a new plate welded in.