UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:20 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:04 pm 
Active user

Just got a 2005 aero cabriolet, it is ICM 3 with nav .
The sound is awful, i expected this so I am going to replace the dash speakers with Boston S35. However I prised open the ( well actually broke :( ) the cover to the drivers door speaker to have a look and there is an original speaker in it which makes no sound at all ,same on passenger side. So im guessing i have a 7 speaker set up ?? is this correct as i cant hear a sub in the dash?...or is it some weird setup ?
Had a look under passenger seat there is no amp ? or in the boot above the DVD.

anyone got similair as i fancy sorting it at bank holiday

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 7:40 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 2006 9-3 Aero V6 Sportwagon
That should be a 7 speaker setup, I don't think you can get the ICM3 with the 4 so I'd guess your amp has failed. The head unit powers the standard 4 speakers then the extra amp powers door subs and the centre speaker.

From what Google has told me (I've got a wagon and it's under the passenger seat) the amp should be behind the rear left hand side quarter panel.

If it's the 13 speaker stereo you will have two additional bass speakers behind the rear seats.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 10:26 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9-5 2.3T Wagon, 2.0t vert,+Noob
No sub in the 7-speaker setup, but, as Jamez says, the amp for the door speakers is behind the trim to the side of the rear seats.
A failure there might well cause something of a loss of audio quality, bearing in mind the sizes of the remaining speakers!
I would imagine it sounds somewhat...thin...

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:24 am 
Active user

thanks guys :)

Yes theres thin and then theres skinny :lol:
Taken out the amp this morning , had to take back seats too :roll:
The amp itself lokks ok although one of the small caps looks as though it might have popped
with it removed the ehu amp still powers the dsahboard and rear speakers though ?

Attachments:
amp2 (2).jpg
amp2 (2).jpg [ 52.09 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]
1.JPG
1.JPG [ 41.64 KiB | Viewed 344 times ]

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 12:54 pm 
Active user

Well, as long as the optical loop is intact the amp in the dash will power the 4 tiny speakers. If you remove the amp you have to join the optical loops together.

That one you are looking at does door and centre speaker.

Unfortunately they are expensive to replace as they get blown from water damage from being under the seat in the saloon and estate so are in high demand. Mine is on the second one, I can post you the blown one if you want to try and burgle it for parts.

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 9:21 am 
UKS Addict

Jamez wrote:
Well, as long as the optical loop is intact the amp in the dash will power the 4 tiny speakers. If you remove the amp you have to join the optical loops together.

I haven't actually removed one of these amps, so not familiar with the connector layout, but if the loop has remained intact without having to take steps to loop-back the optical I/F, isn't that rather suspicious?

Beomoth - did you extract the optical cables from the plug and join them end-to-end, or just pull the plug out?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:38 am 
Active user

Hi ,

No I just removed the plug with the optical and the power wires in , it does seem a bit strange, but I have another unit coming to test today so I will see what happens :)

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:48 am 
Active user

Yeah, it is strange, hopefully it hasn't been looped out somewhere. Can you see the optical lights on the cable that goes into the amp?

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 1:38 pm 
UKS Addict

The only place that is easy to loop out is at the common optical connector H2-10 below the LH A-Pillar, but as far as I can see that would also take AMP1 and the Nav DVD out of circuit. Anything else would require some splicing or an optical cable from AMP1 to the DVD bypassing AMP2, unless some cunning tiny reflector has been attached to the AMP2 connector somehow.

Attachments:
O-BusCV.jpg
O-BusCV.jpg [ 91.25 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:34 am 
Active user

Thanks for that , I was going to have a look at that this morning.....but guess what its raining and I need the top down lol :roll:

Weather sposed to be good at w/e ....in this bloody country lol

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:51 pm 
Active user

Everyone`s advice was right :)
The previous owner had bypassed the amp as it was bust, I found the join just to the side , dejoined it and fitted to my new amp et voila full sound and 100 times better :):)

While i was at it I fitted some new 3.5 inch dash speakers and even better lol
Also fitted an external DAB aerial in place of the saab one and routed it along the existing cabling as its a convertible and the aerial is mounted on a moving part, and now DAB and perfect FM lol

However one problem ........the aerial is amplified and has a twelve volt feed, I attached it to the boot light ....DOOOOH :) as soon as the boot is shut I lose signal as that power goes off
Can anyone advise what I can use for 12v switched power.? ..the cabling is right next to the rear fusebox tucked in , im not an expert how do you get power from the fusebox ? by replicating a fuse ?

any ideas thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:05 am 
Active user

beomoth wrote:
Everyone`s advice was right :)
The previous owner had bypassed the amp as it was bust, I found the join just to the side , dejoined it and fitted to my new amp et voila full sound and 100 times better :):)

While i was at it I fitted some new 3.5 inch dash speakers and even better lol
Also fitted an external DAB aerial in place of the saab one and routed it along the existing cabling as its a convertible and the aerial is mounted on a moving part, and now DAB and perfect FM lol

However one problem ........the aerial is amplified and has a twelve volt feed, I attached it to the boot light ....DOOOOH :) as soon as the boot is shut I lose signal as that power goes off
Can anyone advise what I can use for 12v switched power.? ..the cabling is right next to the rear fusebox tucked in , im not an expert how do you get power from the fusebox ? by replicating a fuse ?

any ideas thanks

Glad we could help :)

I've not done it, but you can buy piggyback fuses that have a wire coming from them, that'd probably be the easiest option.

I've used the rear 12V plug in mine (though mine is an estate so not sure if yours will have one) for the remote feed to my amp, that works well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:19 pm 
UKS Addict

Maybe take the feed to the DAB aerial from the power to the telematics box (pin 10 on the plug, fed from fuse 19 in the boot fusebox)? Same as piggybacking but a more convenient location.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:52 pm 
Active user

Thanks , ive ordered a piggyback on ebay and will give it a try....

one more question , the satnav black box in the back seat has a sim card slot in it , I am intrigued as the shark fin has gsm and gps leads coming from it to the box. However the phone option on the ICM3 is greyed out....is this because there is no sim in the black box ?
I know the phone option would be hilariously out of date but it would be cool if all it needed was a PAYG sim chucked in the black box ...and if so where do you get the credit card holder and what size sim is it ?

thanks again :)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:04 am 
UKS Addict

The SIM would (I think) be the original credit-card sized jobbie - like the card that you have to break a standard "mini" SIM out of in order to put it in your mobile. Check the back of your drawers if you are the sort of person who keeps all the original papers and packing for your mobile, as you could, theoretically, stick a mini SIM back into the card that one came in.