UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:18 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:03 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '07 9-3ss Aero
keeny wrote:
Sounds like you need 3 sets of wheels and tyres Dan , winter , summer , and track day
Phil

Got winters Phil, which I don't intend on pushing hard, but they're a few year old now so if I only get this winter before they run out then I really won't mind.
I contemplated track tyres for the summer wheels as they don't do many miles, but, is there a good wet track tyre with xl and speed rating, in 225/45/18, given the lack of sunshine, and grey sky that we brits are plagued with?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: og aero,Viggen,TTID wagon
Dan I would have track day tyres for track days only as they are best for that purpose only

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 10:16 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '07 9-3ss Aero
keeny wrote:
Dan I would have track day tyres for track days only as they are best for that purpose only

Understood thanks Phil, I know there's some really chubby good tyres out there that can be both, but from what I see the tread patterns just can't deal with the wet, I've been expecting a bit much of the design basically. I'll stick with the rainsports for now, they really are rather great, can feel the ReAxs working at times, never felt it on the 2.0L but can on this.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:18 pm 
T5 Cartographer

Car Models: '59 2.8 XWD '55 Diesel SW
Most of the tyres under discussion here are road tyres with a track bias.

I've been quite taken with the grip yielded from the Pirelli RS5 rally tyres I've run. Massively strong sidewalls in comparison to road tyres, so you're talking about going out with sub 20psi in them (not that you'd know to look, the walls are that solid) and within a lap or so you're up into the 30s and grip is phenomenal. One did get shredded by the gravel on the track at Blyton which I wasn't too pleased with.

The Kuhmo Ecsta CO3s and Hankook z209 look interesting also.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:04 pm 
Saab Nut

I would just get a few extra wheels and only use them on the track. We use Dunlop rally tyres on the c900 rally car.
dry and warm = X08 front (hard), X12 rear (med)
Damp and or very cold = X12 front/ X22 rear (soft)

On the Sunbeam rwd its the other way round, but we use Khumo (they last better than Dunlops so I have been told)
on a front wheel drive the khumo v's Dunlop as below:-

K11 = X22 Soft
K21 = X12
K50 = X08

K60 = X04
K90 = X02 very hard

Just to note we killed a 9-3 204 yesterday at blyton due to oil starvation on the long double apex loop on the far left of the circuit and that was on budget road tyres in about 7 deg outside temp. Just a Note to help people keep an eye on their oil through there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:14 pm 
Saab Nut

We also get cast off tyres from Slicks in Sheffield, worth a call as the top guys trade them for new rubber and the is plenty of life left. For the wet we would cut the two sets X22 and X12, taking the outer wiggles to the outside of the tyre on the inner and outer shoulders and make a central radial groove so the inner wiggles feed into it. If its a monsoon we have some expensive Michellin wets, but it needs to be standing water for them to go on.
If you are getting graining you are a compound two soft. On the Talbot it grains k21's on the rear after abut 6 miles and the grip totally goes along with high tyre wear.