UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:21 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:05 am 
UKS Addict

Location: REMAINING UNFAITHFUL TO FACTORY STANDARD SPECIFICATIONS SINCE 1988
Car Models: OLD SAABS,VOLVOS&VW...
AND OF COURSE,UNDER THE BONNET,AND IN THE BOOT,THAT ADDITION/ADAPTION OF MERCEDES 'SLK' SUPERCHARGER'S,TO REPLACE THE AGEING ORIGINAL 'SPRINTEX' UNITS....

ALL THE PIPEWORK,AND MACHINING,HAS BEEN DONE BY HIMSELF,APART FROM BESPOKE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY'S MACHINED FOR THE SUPERCHARGER DRIVEBELTS,WHICH THE 'DIAMETERS' HAD TO BE CALCULATED,FOR OPTIMUM 'BOOST CHARACTERISTSICS'.....

PIPEWORK,WAS ALL PAINSTAKINGLY CONSTRUCTED BY HAND,THEN SEN'T OFF TO THE 'ALLOY WELDERS'....

SOMEWHAT MODIFIED 'VW GTI' K-JETRONIC ORIGINAL SPEC UNIT'S,WITH THE WARM UP REGULATOR DISMEMBERED,AND NOW FITTED,WITH AN ADJUSTABLE SCREW,FOR CONTROL PRESSURE ALTERATION'S....FOR ADEQUATE FUELLING,WITH THE SUPERCHARGERS.

THIS IS ALL,STILL VERY MUCH IN DEVELOPMENT,BUT THE CAR IS UP&RUNNING...AND LARGER K-JETRONIC,FUEL DISTRIBUTION UNIT'S,ARE ON THE CARD'S MAYBE FROM THE LARGER ENGINED VOLVO'S,OR SAAB 900 TURBO ETC...

AT THE MOMENT,THE SUPERCHARGER UNIT'S ARE RUNNING AROUND 6 PSI BOOST,WITH THE 'BLOW OFF' PURELY,A PIECE OF STAINLESS TUBING,THAT FIT'S INTO A PIECE OF SILICONE HOSE,WHICH OF COURSE,CAN BE MACHINED IN DIAMETER,TO CONTROL BOOST 'BLOW OFF'....

OF NOTE? WAS OUR DISCUSSION THAT WITH THE 'VW GTI' INLET MANIFOLD,THE 'COLD' START' VALVE,IS ACTUALLY IN THE 'WRONG END' (SEEN MOUNTED OFFSIDE FRONT IN PHOTO,CLICK TO ENLARGE) FOR IT TO BE ACTUALLY USED,AS A 'FIFTH INJECTOR',IN MUCH THE SAME WAY,I HAVE ADAPTED IT(SWITCHED)INTO THE CLARION 99 TURBO/K900....?

WITH THE 'VW GTI' INLET MANIFOLD,THE 'SUPERCHARGED BOOST',WOULD SIMPLY 'BLOW' THE COLD START VALVE OUT,LIKE A CANDLE.....IN IT'S CURRENT 'FACTORY' MOUNTING LOCATION,AT THE OPPOSITE END OF THE MANIFOLD?

SO, THAT'S ANOTHER AVENUE,FOR EXPLORATION,IN RE-LOCATING &UTILISING WHAT WE ALREADY HAVE,REGARDS K-JET,TO BETTER USE...AND ESSENTIALLY 'FOOLING' THE ENGINE,INTO THINKING IT HAS ADEQUATE FUELLING,FOR MORE POWER...

Attachments:
DSC_5128.JPG
DSC_5128.JPG [ 422.14 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]
DSC_5129.JPG
DSC_5129.JPG [ 405.42 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]
DSC_5130.JPG
DSC_5130.JPG [ 380.09 KiB | Viewed 405 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 8:24 am 
UKS Addict

BIGGER CALIPER'S ARE FITTED UP FRONT,WITH THE ORIGNAL FRONT 'GTI SPEC' CALIPER'S NOW FITTED ON THE REAR.....

CURRENTLY THE CAR IS RUNNING 'TWIN' MASTER CYLINDERS(ONE FOR FRONT,ONE FOR REAR)LOCATED DIRECTLY,IN FRONT OF THE BRAKE PEDAL ON A BALANCE BAR SET -UP,BUT THE FRONT BRAKES,ARE NOT GETTING ENOUGH ON THE PEDAL,TO OPTIMISE 'STOPPING POWER'....?

IF YOU CAN REMEMBER BACK? THE ORIGINAL MK1 'GOLF GTI' I THINK,AT THE TIME? WAS SLATED ,FOR IT'S INADEQUATE STOPPING ABILITY,IN RHD FORM,AS THERE WAS NO ROOM,FOR A BRAKE SERVO? AS THE CAR,WAS BUILT FOR THE 'RHD' MARKET.....AS AN 'AFTERTHOUGHT'.

WHILST CROUCHED DOWN,INTO THE DRIVER'S SIDE FOOTWELL,OF THE TWIN-ENGINED SCIROCCO...... I NOTICE 'EVERYTHING' ABOUT THIS CAR,IS BESPOKE.
AS WE DISCUSSED THIS ISSUE,ABOUT 'LACK OF PEDAL' FEEL...? MAYBE ACCENTUATED,WITH THE BIGGER FRONT CALIPERS,AND AN AGEING LEG(NOW 70 YEARS OLD)THAT MAYBE, CANNOT EXERT AS MUCH PEDAL PRESSURE,THESE DAYS?

SIMULATANEUOSLY..........WE BOTH CAME OUT WITH 'FIT A SERVO'...WAS THE,MAYBE THE ANSWER?,BUT HOW AND WHERE,IN JUST ANOTHER DEVELOPMENT,ALONG THE WAY....

'BILSTEINS' ARE FITTED ALL AROUND,WITH MODIFIED ORIGINAL 'UPRIGHTS' ON THE REAR,ALONG WITH A SHORTENED ROSE-JOINTED STEERING ARM,TO KEEP THE REAR 'TRACK' IN ORDER....

A BAFFLED,ALLOY FUEL TANK,FIT'S JUST IN FRONT OF THE REAR ENGINE.....

TYRE'S FITTED ARE CURRENTLY NANKANG NS-2R'S 205 50 15,WHICH PROVIDE LITTLE GRIP, UNTIL THEY ARE WARM....AND THEN STICK LIKE THAT STUFF,TO A BLANKET...

Attachments:
DSC_5125.JPG
DSC_5125.JPG [ 374.03 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]
DSC_5124.JPG
DSC_5124.JPG [ 388.29 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]
DSC_5119.JPG
DSC_5119.JPG [ 387.93 KiB | Viewed 403 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:02 am 
UKS Addict

SO,HOW EXACTLY DID I END UP SPENDING THE EVENING,TALKING TO AN OLD BLOKE......ABOUT BUILDING,COMPETING AND DEVELOPING COMPETITION CAR'S...?

WELL,INEVITABLY? IT ALL CAME DOWN,TO THE 'CHANCE' THAT I HAD A COUPLE OF CLOSE RATIO 020 'VW GTI' GEARBOX FOR SALE,WHICH I HAD ACQUIRED,A GOOD FEW YEARS AGO......?

I HAVE OWNED SEVERAL SCIROCCO'S IN ME TIME....A MK1 1600 GLS,MK2 1600 GL,AND THEN FINALLY A SCIROCCO 1.8GTI,ALONG WITH COUNTLESS OTHER MAKES AND MODELS...THROUGHOUT THE YEARS.

THE REAR GEARBOX,IN THIS TWIN-ENGINED CAR,RUN'S AN 'LSD'......THE FRONT CURRENTLY, DOES NOT. A FEW WEEK'S BACK,THIS IS WHAT HAPPENED TO THE FRONT GEARBOX....WHILST 'TESTING'.
THE PLANET GEAR'S,ARE THE WEAKEST POINT......ALTHOUGH THE LATER CAR'S HAD LARGER PLANET GEARS.(AND EVERYBODY THINK'S 'SAAB' GEARBOXES,ARE THE ONLY ONE'S WITH ISSUE'S). THERE,WAS AN EARLY VW GENUINE MOTORSPORT DIFF,HANDED TO ME 'OFF' THE SHELF, WHICH WAS CRUDE AS HELL,BUT DID THE JOB BACK THEN....

A MODERN TYPE 'LSD',IS ON THE CARD'S FOR THE FRONT GEARBOX,BUT FOR THE FORESEAABLE FUTURE...?

CURRENTLY 'MY' GEARBOXES,ARE BEING PULLED TO BIT'S TO MAKE ONE 'STANDARD' GOOD GEARBOX,WITH THE RIGHT RATIO'S? TO TAKE AS A 'SPARE' FOR 'GOODWOOD'.

WHY? WELL,IF YOU ARE GOING DOWN TO THE 'GOODWOOD' FESTIVAL OF SPEED' THIS YEAR? THIS MACHINE,WILL HOPEFULLY,BE IN ACTION ON THE 'RALLY' STAGE....

AND,YOU MIGHT JUST WITNESS A 70 YEAR OLD BLOKE BEHIND THE WHEEL? OR CHANGING A GEARBOX? HE RECKONS,AN HOUR AND HALF,NOW AT HIS AGE.... :loco: :wall: :haynes:

OH, AND 'THIS' IS HIS OTHER CAR.....HE BUILT, FROM AN ORIGINAL TIRED BODYSHELL......WHICH TURNED OUT TO BE ONE OF THE ORIGNAL WORK'S CAR'S.

REPLICATED IN IT'S ORIGINAL LIVERY,AND COLOURS,AS TO THE PHOTOGRAPH,ON THE WALL,BACK IN THE DAY,FROM THE LATE SEVENTIE'S.....IT'S TUCKED AWAY,IN THE BACK OF THE WORKSHOP.

NOW DIDN'T 'BLOMQVIST',GET OFFERED A DRIVE IN ONE OF THESE.......?

HE WAS CONSIDERED AT THE TIME,IN THE LATE SEVENTIE'S BY MANY FACTORY TEAM'S,TO BE A 'FRONT WHEEL DRIVE EXPONENT' ONLY?

AND THEN 'DES O' DELL',OFFERED HIM A DRIVE,IN A TALBOT SUNBEAM LOTUS....? WE,ALL KNOW WHERE THAT LED...

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IrCuER8KDk

BUT, BACK TO THE 'LOTUS SUNBEAM,AT THE BACK OF WORKSHOPS....

AS A KID, WOULD I EVER HAVE DREAMED,THAT I WOULD EVER,GET TO STAND NEXT TO,AND 'MEET' SOME OF THESE SUCH INSPIRATIONAL CHARACTERS....? OR HAVE,JUST A LITTLE IN COMMON....?

AS THE EVENING'S DISCUSSION'S CAME TO A CLOSE......AND ALL THOSE YEAR'S EXPERIENCE,THAT HAVE BEEN SPENT TOILING AWAY,ON THESE SELF-BUILT CAR'S?

I NOTED,WE WERE STOOD....'SIMILALRY' IN AN EXTENDED 'CHICKEN SHED' :D EXCEPT,HE HAS BEEN DOING IT TWENTY YEARS MORE THAN ME...AND STILL 'MAKING IT HAPPEN'....

Attachments:
DSC_5131.JPG
DSC_5131.JPG [ 405.11 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]
DSC_5132.JPG
DSC_5132.JPG [ 399.09 KiB | Viewed 392 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:20 am 
UKS Addict

OK CHAPS,GOOD MORNING.. THE LAST FEW WEEKS, HAVE BEEN VERY BUSY AS USUAL....

BETWEEN ACQUIRING MORE PARTS AND WHEELS, A TRIP WAS MADE DOWN TO 'BEAULIEU' FOR THE 2ND LARGEST AUTOJUMBLE IN EUROPE(ALLEGEDLY) AS IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN SOMETHING ON THE 'TO DO' LIST?

BESIDES AN AWFUL LOT OF WALKING AROUND,AMONGST A LOT OF BELGIANS,GERMANS AND FRENCH.....AND A 600 MILE ROUND TRIP!! THE ONLY THING I BOUGHT ALL DAY,WAS AN ICE CREAM!!

HOWEVER,I DID SPY A RATHER NICE SET OF COMPOMOTIVE 7J 15 INCH 'MINILITE' STYLE ALLOYS,IN A 114.3 PCD WHICH WERE 'NOS' SHOD WITH A BRAND NEW SET OF BRDIGESTONE 205 55 15 TYRES.....EARLIER THAT WEEK,ON EBAY.

THESE WERE DULY COLLECTED BY A VERY GOOD FRIEND OF MINE,FROM NEAR LONDON.

I HAD CHANCE TO TRIAL FIT THEM,ON THE K900 ONE EVENING,AS THEY ARE ACTUALLY DESTINED FOR THE 'CLARION 99 TURBO'? AFTER SOME CALCULATIONS,IT WAS ASSUMED,THAT THESE WHEELS SHOULD GIVE A SLIGHTLY WIDER TRACK,JUST OVER AN INCH EITHER SIDE...ENOUGH TO FILL THE ORIGINAL 'SPORT&RALLY' WHEEL ARCHES....?

Attachments:
DSC_5227.JPG
DSC_5227.JPG [ 404.72 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]
DSC_5230.JPG
DSC_5230.JPG [ 391.57 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]
DSC_5232.JPG
DSC_5232.JPG [ 374.05 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 10:23 am 
UKS Addict

BUT THEN,I ALSO REMEMBERED :roll: ,I HAVE A SET OF THE 1989 'T8 SPECIAL' PLASTIC WHEEL ARCH EXTENSIONS,THAT WILL GO STRAIGHT ON THE K900,SHOULD I WISH TO UTILISE THESE 'COMPOMOTIVES'.... :wink:

IT WILL BE INTERSTING TO SEE,HOW THE 'EXTRA' TRACK,WORKS ON THE 'TRACK'.....

Attachments:
DSC_5234.JPG
DSC_5234.JPG [ 410.16 KiB | Viewed 328 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:05 am 
UKS Addict

MEANWHILE,I HAD ACQUIRED A 'SHORT' ENGINE FROM 'DR.ROCK UKS' IN AUTUMN LAST YEAR?

THIS WAS INDEED,A CURIOUS PURCHASE,WITH 'NEW' TURBO PISTONS FITTED,BUT A VERY LATE '84 BLOCK,WITH THE STARTER MOTOR LOCATED UNDER THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD.
BY DE-CODING THE ENGINE NUMBER,IT WOULD APPEAR TO BE A VERY EARLY T16S MOTOR....

NOW,TO UTILISE THIS BLOCK (CR 9.0 TO 1) IN THE K900 WHICH IS CURRENTLY USING THE ORIGNAL B201 (CR 8.5 TO 1) I FIRST NEED TO GET RID OF THE EARLIER TYPE CRANKSHAFT AND OIL PUMP DRIVE.

IF YOU REMEMBER BACK,THIS WAS AN INHERENT ISSUE IN OIL PUMP FAILURE,SOME TWENTY YEARS OR MORE BACK,WHEN I FIRST FITTED A FULLY TUNED 'RALLY' EARLY B201 ENGINE,INTO MY WHITE SAAB 99 EMS...

THE OIL PUMP DRIVE ITSELF,ON THE EARLY B201 ENGINES,IS VIA 2 'FLATS' MACHINED ONTO THE LOWER CRANK SPROCKET. THIS DESIGN,HAS A DEGREE OF 'INTEGRATED' BACKLASH,FROM THESE 'FLATS' ON THE SPROCKET ONTO THE CORRESPONDING 'FLATS' MACHINED INTO THE OIL PUMP DRIVE...

THE DESIGN IS SUCH,THAT THE TIMING COVER,OIL PUMP DRIVE,AND CRANK SPROCKET ARE ALL BESPOKE TO THE EARLY B201(AROUND 1981-84) THE 'ISSUE' HERE,WAS THAT THE OIL PUMP DRIVE 'SHATTERED' SCORING THE TIMING COVER,ON THE 'RALLY' ENGINE. THIS ORIGINAL DESIGN ALSO LED,TO POOR OIL PRESSURE EVEN ON THE STANDRAD 99/900 RANGE,SO ANY CAR FROM THAT ERA,SHOULD REALLY BE CONSIDERED VERY CAREFULLY,AS REGARDS ENGINE MECHANCIALS....

THIS DESIGN OF EARLY OIL PUMP 'SELF-DESTRUCTED' 3 TIMES,WITHIN THE SPACE OF A YEAR,TWICE WHILST COMETING ON EVENT'S,AND ONCE DURING TESTING.....SOMETHING 'HAD' TO BE DONE!!

Attachments:
Picture0093.jpg
Picture0093.jpg [ 47.33 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]
ORIGINAL SAAB SPORT AND RALLY MANIFOLD.jpg
ORIGINAL SAAB SPORT AND RALLY MANIFOLD.jpg [ 71.49 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]
Picture0091.jpg
Picture0091.jpg [ 63.63 KiB | Viewed 316 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:14 am 
UKS Addict

SO,TO REPEAT EXACTLY THE 'SOLUTION' FROM OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO? FIRST OF ALL,I MUST REMOVE THE 'NEW' T16S PISTONS.....

THEN REMOVE THE ORIGINAL, EARLY TYPE B201 CRANKSHAFT WHICH IS ACTUALLY UP FOR SALE ON 'UKS' CURRENTLY.
IT APPEARS TO HAVE NEVER BEEN RUN,IN THIS FRESHLY REBUILT ENGINE,OF MANY ,MANY YEARS AGO...

INDEED,YOU CAN SEE THE BLOCK WATERWAYS,ARE PERFECT,AND HAVE NO CORROSION ISSUES WHATSOVER. ONE OF THE BENEFITS,OF AN ENGINE BLOCK BEING SAT OUT THE CAR,RATHER THEN A POTENTIAL 'BARN FIND' FULL OF RUSTY WATER&CO-AGULATED ANTI-FREEEZE....

YOU CAN ALSO TELL A B201 EARLY BLOCK(THIS ONE WAS MISSING IT'S ALLOY END COVERS)FROM THE POSITION,OF THE TURBO OIL DRAIN,IN THIS CASE...SO I KNEW IT 'WAS' A 'STARTER MOTOR UNDER THE EXHAUST' BLOCK.....

OK,SO NOW WE HAVE A BARE BLOCK....WHICH ALL NEEDS CLEANING UP,AFTER SITTING AROUND,GATHERING DUST ALL THOSE YEARS...

Attachments:
DSC_5183.JPG
DSC_5183.JPG [ 386.99 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]
DSC_5184.JPG
DSC_5184.JPG [ 390.98 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]
DSC_5188.JPG
DSC_5188.JPG [ 400.14 KiB | Viewed 315 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:33 am 
UKS Addict

PICTURED BELOW....NEXT UP,WAS TO REMOVE A CRANK,FROM A DONOR '87 B201 MOTOR,AND MEASURE IT UP....WHICH I HAD IN ONE OF THE CHICKEN SHEDS...

THIS CRANKSHAFT WILL REPLACE THE 1984 ONE,IN THAT 'EARLY' T16S BLOCK... :idea: BUT,I WILL ALSO NEED THE ACCOMPANYING TIMING COVER,OIL PUMP,DRIVE SPROCKET (8V SPROCKET,NOT 16V AS DIFFERING NUMBERS TEETH)....

ON THIS PARTICULAR '87 'DONOR B201' ENGINE,THE OIL PUMP DRIVE,HAD SUFFERED 'PICK UP' FROM A FOREIGN OBJECT,WHICH HAD SCORED THE ALLOY TIMING CASING,AND DAMAGED THE OIL PUMP.....BUT,I HAVE PLENTY MORE 'NOS' ETC.....

SO EVEN ON THE LATER DESIGN,IT IS IMPERITAVE TO INSPECT THE OIL PUMP,ON STRIP DOWN,AS UNFORTUNATELY?ALTHOUGH THE LATER DESIGN SOLVE'S THE ISSUE OF THE OIL PUMP SHATTERING AT HIGHER REVS,IT STILL HAS THE 'ACHILLES HEEL' OF ESSENTIALLY THE TIMING COVER,OIL PUMP CASTING,AND DRIVE GEARS ALL FORMING ONE LARGE COMPONENT....

THE CRANK HOWEVER ITSELF,WOULD APPEAR TO BE PERFECT..... :wink:

THE FINAL PIECE OF THE JIGSAW,WAS NEEDING AN ALLOY FRONT COVER FOR THE EARLY T16S BLOCK,WHICH INDEED LOCATES THE STARTER MOTOR UNDER THE EXHAUST. 'STEVE' AT MALBRAD,TO THE RESCUE ONCE AGAIN... :wink:

ON THESE EARLY BLOCKS,THE ACTUAL CAST IRON CASTING,WILL NOT ALLOW THE FITTING OF THE STARTER MOTOR ON TOP,EVEN IF YOU TRY TO UTILISE THE LATER ALLOY COVER !!

Attachments:
DSC_5152.JPG
DSC_5152.JPG [ 385.54 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]
DSC_5151.JPG
DSC_5151.JPG [ 376.83 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]
DSC_5150.JPG
DSC_5150.JPG [ 402.14 KiB | Viewed 314 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 11:54 am 
UKS Addict

NOW REMEMBER THAT SAAB 900 TURBO,THAT DONATED MANY BODY PARTS,TO THE K900 RESSURECTION? FORMELY OF 'DEEVEE UKS'?

WELL, 12 MONTHS BACK,I TOOK THE LIBERTY OF REMOVING THE REAR TIMING COVER,AND OIL PUMP FROM IT'S ENGINE.....SO NOW WE HAVE ALL,THE NECESSARY BITS AND PIECES,AND NUTS AND BOLTS....TO BUILD? AS THIS EARLY T16S BLOCK,CAME WITH NOTHING,BUT CRANK AND PISTONS :wink:

ONE EARLY T16S BLOCK,WITH 'NEW' PISTONS...IS NOW GETTING A 1987 CRANKSHAFT,OIL PUMP,DRIVE SPROCKET AND TIMING COVER....

NOW, HOW WILL A CR OF 9.0 TO 1 ,FARE IN A B201 ENGINE? WELL FIRST OF ALL,WE WILL NEED SOME MORE CALCULATIONS,TO SEE EXCATLY WHAT THE COMPRESSION RATIO WILL BE? UTILISING T16S PISTONS,WITH A B201 HEAD....

ONE THING IS FOR SURE,THE ORIGINAL STOCK ENGINE AIN'T GONNA LAST FOREVER,SO IT PAY'S TO HAVE A 'SPARE' READY TO DROP IN.....EVEN,IF IT WILL BE RATHER A 'PARTS' BIN SPECIAL !

NOW,I HAVE ALSO TAKEN THE LIBERTY OF ACQUIRING AN ADDITIONAL B201 INJECTION HEAD,THIS DOES 'NOT' HAVE THE SODIUM COOLED VALAVES FITTED! AND AS SUCH BEING INJECTION,SHOULD HAVE NICE TIGHT EXHAUST VALVE GUIDES....

THIS 'HEAD' IS DESTINED FOR 'PORTING AND FLOWING' WITH JUST STANDARD VALVE SIZES....
AT THIS RATE WE SHOULD BE HITTING JUST UNDER 200 BHP,ON A 'STOCK' B201 8V TURBO,ON K-JETRONIC....

BUT,THIS ALL TAKES TIME......

FOR NOW,WE HAVE AROUND 6 WEEKS,UNTIL THE NEXT 'HILLCLIMB' AT 'BARBON' ON THE BORDER OF THE LAKE DISTRICT,AND I HAVE GOT SOME T16S VENTED BRAKES TO FIT.... :corn:

Attachments:
DSC_5236.JPG
DSC_5236.JPG [ 395.11 KiB | Viewed 310 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:33 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
An excellent read as ever BIRDIE 8)

Regarding the brake upgrade - had you considered using a set of 9000 front calipers?
They are a step up again over the T16 items.

If you chose not to, is that because of the added size and increase in unsprung & rotational mass (thus an impact on acceleration and handling) wasn't worth the increase in brake performance they would give?

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 7:40 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
I have a feeling that the 9000 calipers are not an easy upgrade for a front handbrake 900, which this will be if it has the 114 PCD.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 9:21 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

I remember some early B202 block assy's being punted around many many years ago. Allegedly these were brand new, off the production line components (not reconditioned). Apparently they were left over from the Formula 3 project. I think some of them passed through the hands of Abbott Racing at some point. Perhaps this is what you've got?

You don't need to change the crankshaft to use the improved oil pump drive. The early oil pump drive was discontinued on '82 model year cars and Saab had a service campaign to upgrade earlier cars to the later drive. New lower timing sprocket and oil pump gears are all that are needed. '85 on cars are different again. So parts from an '83 or '84 engine will give you the reliable oil pump drive and you can use your new crankshaft. No B202 engines had the early 'flank' drive that you refer to.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:04 am 
UKS Addict

99 Pete wrote:
I remember some early B202 block assy's being punted around many many years ago. Allegedly these were brand new, off the production line components (not reconditioned). Apparently they were left over from the Formula 3 project. I think some of them passed through the hands of Abbott Racing at some point. Perhaps this is what you've got?

You don't need to change the crankshaft to use the improved oil pump drive. The early oil pump drive was discontinued on '82 model year cars and Saab had a service campaign to upgrade earlier cars to the later drive. New lower timing sprocket and oil pump gears are all that are needed. '85 on cars are different again. So parts from an '83 or '84 engine will give you the reliable oil pump drive and you can use your new crankshaft. No B202 engines had the early 'flank' drive that you refer to.

MORNING PETE,

THERE ARE INHERENT ISSUES WITH THE EARLY TYPE CRANKSHAFT,WITH THE LENGTH OF THE 'WOODRUFF' KEY.IT IS SIGNIFICANTLY LONGER,THAN ON THE '87 B201 CRANKSHAFT.

THIS CAUSES NO END OF MIS-MATCHING,WITH SPROCKET LENGTH,THE TYPE/LENGTH OF THE 'NOSE' OF CRANKSHAFT PULLEY DRIVE,AND EVEN DOWN TO THE CRANKSHAFT PULLEY BOLT BEING A DIFFERING THREAD ,BETWEEN EARLY AND LATER CRANKS.

THE OIL PUMP DRIVE AND COG SYSTEM WAS RE-DESIGNED AT LEAST 3 TIMES TO MY KNOWLEDGE,AND 'POSSIBLY' THE CORRESPONDING TIMING COVER.....

ON A '99' WITH BULKHEAD CLEARANCE ISSUE'S,THIS CAN BE A NIGHTMARE....THE K900 LESS SO...

AS I COMPLETED THIS MODIFICATION,WITH THE LATER TYPE 87-88 CRANKSHAFT,OIL PUMP,TIMING COVER,AND RE-MACHINED 900 CLASSIC CRANKSHAFT PULLEY OVER TWENTY YEARS AGO,INTO A VERY EARLY B201 SHORT ENGINE,ON A FULLY BLOWN 'RALLY' ENGINE....WHICH THEN COMPLETED EVERY RALLY,SPRINT&HILLCLIMB THEREAFTER,THAT I ENTERED!!
THEN I CAN SAFELY SAY THAT 'RELIABILITY' WAS THEN 'NOT' AN ISSUE.

THIS CAR(99 EMS) IS STILL USED TO THIS DAY,SOME TWENTY YEARS LATER,BY THE 'CLERK OF THE COURSE' ON THE 'ISLE OF MAN',AS THE 'STAGE OPENING CAR' :wink: WHOM IS IN FACT,A LONG SERVING SAAB 'MASTER TECHNICIAN' HIMSELF.

BEAR IN MIND THAT THIS(CURIOUS) 'SHORT' B201 ENGINE IN QUESTION(PICTURED ABOVE),CAME FROM 'FINLAND' ORIGINALLY,AND WAS PART OF A BUNDLE THAT CAME WITH A VERY EARLY T16S CAR,THAT CAME FROM THAT REGION,TO THE 'UK' MANY, MANY YEARS AGO.....?

AS SUCH,WE CANNOT SAY IF THIS PARTICULAR ENGINE,WAS BUILT UP FROM PARTS......(WHICH I SUSPECT? MAYBE HE WAS A 'SAAB' EMPLOYEE AT THE FACTORY?) AS IT ALSO CAME WITH A B234/B212 HEAD,BUT NOT ACTUALLY 'FITTED'.... :wink:

OF COURSE 'SAAB' DID HAVE VARIOUS CAMPAIGNS,BACK IN THE EARLY EIGHTIES,ABOUT THE NEW 'B201' ENGINE,ONE BEING THE SIMPLY AWFUL TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER ARRANGEMENT. 'MOST' CARS WERE DEALT WITH? BUT I HAVE HAD ONE(EARLY 900) THAT WASN'T ..... :shock:

BEING,THAT BACK IN THE DAY? 'PARTS' AVAILABILTY FROM 'SAAB' WAS NOT AN ISSUE? THEN YES, AN OIL PUMP 'UPGRADE', TO MAYBE THEIR 'EVO 2' TYPE OIL PUMP MAY HAVE BEEN THE 'SERVICE BULLETIN' GENERAL CONSENSUS.

NOWADAYS,PARTS(ESPECIALLY NOS) AVAILABILTY IS SOMEWHAT 'SPORADIC' TO SAY THE LEAST.....

MAYBE I WILL FIND SOME OF THE MORE, ELUSIVE PART'S IN SWEDEN,IN A FEW WEEKS TIME.....?

EITHER WAY,EVERY EARLY '81-'84 B201 99/900ENGINE I HAVE STRIPPED(AND THATS A LOT!!) WITH WHICHEVER 'EARLY' OIL PUMP DESIGN FITTED, HAVE HAD SIGNIFICANT WEAR,ON THE BIG-END BEARINGS BY 100K MILES......WITH THE WHITE METAL GONE,AND THE UNDERLYING COPPER,BEGINNING TO SHOW THROUGH ON THE 'SHELL BEARINGS'...

BEING THAT THESE ENGINES,WERE ALL IN EARLY 'ROAD-GOING' B201 CARS 99/900,THEN THERE WAS OBVIOUSLY A 'DESIGN' ISSUE HERE...

I 'EVEN' UTILISED AN EARLY B201 ENGINE,THAT HAD BEEN RE-MANUFACTURED BY 'VALMET FINLAND' IN THE 99 RALLY CAR INITIALLY,AND THE OIL/PUMP BIG-END'S SOON GAVE WAY ON THAT TOO!!

HOWEVER,SOME FORTY PLUS YEARS LATER....AND HAVING DEALT WITH THIS VERY ISSUE,IN MINUTE DETAIL,WITH AN EARLY B201, IN A HIGH-REVVING COMPETITION ENVIRONMENT? THEN THE SOLUTION,WAS MERELY,TO RELIEVE A '1987' 900 B201 OF IT'S ROTATING PARTS,TO PUT AN 'END' TO A PROBLEM.....

THE 'COST',WAS JUST MY TIME.....THE 'SOLUTION' OF COURSE,WELL?

''It has been said that an engineer is a man who can do for ten shillings what any fool can do for a pound; if that be so, we were certainly engineers.“

NONETHELESS PETE,THE 'UKS FORUM' IS A PLATFORM TO 'MAYBE' SHARE KNOWLEDGE &EXPERIENCE......? :wink:

SO ANY 'VALUABLE' INPUT,IS WELCOMED...INTERESTING,ABOUT THE 'FORMULA 3' PROJECT ENGINES!!

THIS 'DONOR '87' B201 ENGINE INCIDENTALLY(SAT FOR YEARS IN CHICKEN SHED)THAT IS SURRENDERING IT'S CRANKSHAFT,FOR MY 'EARLY B201 'SHORT ENGINE 'PROJECT?

WELL,THE RODS AND PISTON'S,FROM THAT VERY ENGINE,ALSO NOW RESIDE IN ANOTHER 99GL......WHICH WAS SUBSEQUENTLY 'TURBOCHARGED' WITH ANOTHER '89 B201 T8 ENGINE I HAD REBUILT,MAYBE TEN YEARS AGO...? WITH JUST THE SHELL BEARINGS,AND TIMING CHAIN/GUIDES REPLACED,AS A MATTER OF COURSE.

THAT ENGINE,HAS ALSO RAN PERFECTLY, BEING UTTERLY RELIABLE 'EVERYDAY' TRANSPORT,COMPLETE WITH A LARGE BORE SIDE-EXIT EXHAUST....THE CAR ITSELF,IS NOW WELL OVER 200,000 MILES,BUT IS DOES HAVE THE 'LATER' TYPE OIL PUMP.......

INDEED,I WAS SAT IN THE PASSENGER SEAT OF IT, JUST THIS VERY SUNDAY....TRUNDLING THROUGH 'CLOCAENOG FOREST'....AND THE SURROUNDING RURAL ROADS. IT STILL GOES LIKE STINK....!!

SO WHY DID,IT NEED PISTONS AND RODS?

WELL? NOT EVEN A 'SAAB' B201,CANNOT COMPRESS 'RIVER FLOOD WATER'........REGARDLESS OF 'COMPRESSION RATIO'

'THAT' CAR SUFFERED A BENT ROD(PICTURED).....OR TWO

BUT,WITH 2ND HAND PISTONS AND RODS(FROM MY DONOR '87 B201)TO FILL THE CYLINDERS....? AND A LITTLE TIME AND EFFORT,IT WAS SOON BACK ON THE ROAD....AT LITTLE(GASKET SET)FINANCIAL COST. :wink:

Attachments:
IMG-20210227-WA0001A.jpg
IMG-20210227-WA0001A.jpg [ 55.06 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]
61295987_2073261692980069_893788307819855872_n.jpg
61295987_2073261692980069_893788307819855872_n.jpg [ 53.79 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]
isleofman15-10.jpg
isleofman15-10.jpg [ 70.96 KiB | Viewed 254 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:07 am 
UKS Addict

beardydave wrote:
I have a feeling that the 9000 calipers are not an easy upgrade for a front handbrake 900, which this will be if it has the 114 PCD.

MORNING BEARDYDAVE&MCVITIES,

YEP IT IS STILL 114.3 PCD.....FRONT HANDBRAKE. IF YOU REMEMBER,A FEW MONTHS BACK,I HAVE COMPLETELY REFURBISHED A SET OF THE FRONT HUBS,FLANGES,BEARINGS FOR AN EARLY 'T16S' VENTED DISC SET UP,PICTURED BELOW....

FINDING TIME,TO FIT THEM,IS THE CURRENT ISSUE. SUMMER,IS ALWAYS A VERY BUSY TIME REGARDS THE 'MOTORSPORT' SEASON...AND 'ENJOYING' THE K900,RATHER THAN WORKING ON IT...

I HAVE HAD HOWEVER, SOME COMMENT,OUTSIDE OF THE 'FORUM'?

''SOMETIMES....THAT IS IS DIFFICULT TO KEEP UP WITH ALL YOUR PROJECTS......''

HMMM,APOLOGIES FOR THAT.....I TRY TO KEEP THE V3(VERGELTUNGSWAFFE) 96 THREAD SEPERATE,AND ALSO THE 'DEVILS PLAYGROUND' PIKES PEAK 1976 99 COMBI-COUPE SPEARATE AS WELL,BUT SOMETIMES STUFF DOES 'OVERLAP'.

LIKELY THE 'DEVILS PLAYGROUND BUILD' COMBI-COUPE WILL BE RUNNING THE LATER 900 '108 PCD' WHEEL/AXLE SET UP,WHICH WILL ALLOW THE FITMENT OF THE BIGGER 9000(FRONT) BRAKES,AND ALSO A 9000(TRIONIC) WIRING LOOM,WHICH IS ALL SAT HERE IN BOXES,READY TO GO ON...(PARTS BIN TIME,AGAIN...)

BUT ,THATS 'JUST' ABOUT TO GET MAYBE? JUST A LITTLE MORE INTERESTING :corn: :loco:

RIGHTO THE 'CLASSIC TOURING CARS' ARE ON AT 'OULTON PARK' TODAY?....... TIME TO GO AND WALK THE PADDOCK,SEE IF I CAN 'PINCH' ANY POTENTIAL 'IMAGINEERING' IDEA'S,FROM ALL THOSE YEARS AGO.....

Attachments:
DSC_4831.JPG
DSC_4831.JPG [ 405.3 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]
DSC_4805.JPG
DSC_4805.JPG [ 395.98 KiB | Viewed 213 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:49 am 
UKS Addict

MORNING CHAPS,
OK,SO THE OLD K900 IS PLODDING ALONG JUST FINE.....AND ENJOYING THE RECENT GOOD WEATHER,WITH(MANUAL) SUNROOF OPEN ETC.....

SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE NOTICED THERE WAS A 'SAAB' FESTIVAL ON IN SWEDEN,A FEW WEEK'S BACK?

SO,IT WAS TIME TO HEAD OVER TO SWEDEN(BY PLANE,TO NORWAY FIRST 'GARDERMOEN') TO EXPERIENCE,THE 'SOMMAR',BUT RATHER FURTHER NORTH THAN 'TROLLHATTAN' ITSELF....?

INDEED 'VARMLAND'....

WE HAVE BEEN TRAVELLING TO VARIOUS PART'S OF SWEDEN,MANY TIME'S NOW OVER THE PAST FIFTEEN YEAR'S......AND HAVE COME TO MEET, SOME VERY DIVERSE INDIVIDUAL'S INDEED ALONG THE WAY...

WE WERE WELCOMED BACK ONCE AGAIN,TO A TINY VILLAGE NESTLED IN THE FOREST,JUST TO THE WEST OF THE REGION OF 'VARMLAND'? AS THERE WAS 'SOMETHING' GOING ON NEARBY,THAT JUST 'HAPPENED' TO COINCIDE WITH THE 'SAAB' FESTIVAL WEEKEND,WHILST WE OVER THERE...?

THE POPULATION IN THIS REGION,IS FAR LESS THAN YOU MAY HAVE EXPERIENCED IN THE SOUTH OF SWEDEN. LESS OF THEM SPEAK ENGLISH,ESPECIALLY THE OLDER GENERATION.LIFE MOVE'S AT A VERY SLOW PACE,YOU CAN TRAVEL FOR HOURS,WITHOUT SEEING ANOTHER VEHICLE..........

TOWN'S,AS YOU GO NORTH ARE SMALL,AND VERY FEW OF THEM.....

VILLAGE'S HAVE A VERY SMALL SHOP,IF YOU ARE LUCKY.....

IT IS EXTREMELY RUSTIC OUT HERE,THERE ARE NO RESTARAUNT'S OR PUB'S....THOSE THAT 'ARE' IN THE TOWNS,ONLY OPEN FOR LUNCHTIME........SO UNLESS,YOU ARE STAYING IN A 'HOTEL', YOU REALLY NEED TO CONSIDER YOUR ACCOMODATION 'VERY' CAREFULLY....

BUT THEN,THAT IS EXACTLY THE THE 'APPEAL'.... :wink: :corn:

Attachments:
DSC_5392.JPG
DSC_5392.JPG [ 410.75 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]
DSC_5394.JPG
DSC_5394.JPG [ 395.91 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]
DSC_5410A.jpg
DSC_5410A.jpg [ 416.72 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:05 am 
UKS Addict

'ARVIKA' VARMLAND IS 'PER EKLUNDS' HOME TOWN.....

THE SERVICE AREA FOR THE RALLY START,WAS IN THE LOCAL 'FOLKETS PARK'...

YOU MAY NOTICE A LACK OF MK2 ESCORT ENTRANT'S? DUE TO THE FACT THERE WERE 'NONE AT ALL' !

MOSTLY THE VOLVO 940/960 WAS PREVALENT,AS THE 'CLUBMANS' RALLY CAR....

THESE ARE RATHER LARGE AND HEAVY FOR A RALLY CAR,BUT I SUPPOSE THE VOLVO 242 IS ALSO BECOMING QUITE 'RARE' NOW EVEN IN SWEDEN,SO AMONST AN ENTRY LIST OF 86 CAR'S.......MAYBE 3-4 OF THE VOLVO 240 FAMILY WERE PRESENT.
(CLICK TO ENLARGE PHOTOS)

Attachments:
DSC_5428A.jpg
DSC_5428A.jpg [ 445.1 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
DSC_5426A.jpg
DSC_5426A.jpg [ 446.01 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
DSC_5425A.jpg
DSC_5425A.jpg [ 416.29 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:22 am 
UKS Addict

THIS WAS THE THIRD ROUND OF THE SWEDISH RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP,SO HAD ATTARACTED THE USUAL SMATTERING OF FIESTA WRC&SKODA FABIA WORKS PREPARED CARS FOR THE TOP TEN,WITH AN EX- SKODA OCTAVIA WRC IN THERE AS WELL,FOLLOWED BY A HANDFUL OF MISTUBISHI EVO AND SUBARU IMPREZA.......

THE REMAINING 40 ODD 'CLUBMAN' CARS BEING THE VOLVO'S AND JUST TWO SAAB'S......A 9-3 SPORT SALOON,AND A 9-3 HATCHBACK POWERED WITH A V6...AND THESE WERE THE RALLY CAR'S WE HAD REALLY COME TO SEE...

THE EVENT START,WOULD BE IN THE ARVIKA TOWN SQUARE (OR TORGET),EARLY ON FRIDAY EVENING....BEFORE HEADING OFF INTO THE LOCAL FOREST.

EARLIER THAT DAY,WE HAD VISITED THE LOCAL 'TURSIT BYRU' AND MANAGED TO ACQUIRE THE LAST 'RALLY PROGRAMME' BOOKLET FOR THE EVENT? IN THERE WERE MAPS,AND DIAGRAMS FOR THE 12 OR SO STAGES OVER THE FRIDAY EVENING,AND SATURDAY DAY TIME....

'EKLUNDS' RAC RALLY LIVERIED INTEGRALE,BEING ON DISPLAY ALONG WITH 'LATE EVENING OPENING' OF THE TOWN'S SHOP'S......

AS YOU CAN SEE,EVEN FOR SUCH A 'BIG' EVENT IN THE TOWN, THE SPARSELY POPULATED SURROUNDING'S MEANT IS WAS HARDLY A 'CRUSH',TO WALK AROUND.....

Attachments:
DSC_5427A.jpg
DSC_5427A.jpg [ 425.73 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]
DSC_5429A.jpg
DSC_5429A.jpg [ 449.78 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]
DSC_5433A.jpg
DSC_5433A.jpg [ 455.59 KiB | Viewed 98 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:53 am 
UKS Addict

THE 'FOREST' ROADS BEING USED FOR THE EVENT,ARE ACTUAL 'ROADS' BETWIXT THE MORE REMOTE VILLAGES&DESTINATIONS.....UP HERE,YOU CAN QUITE EASILY FIND YOURSELF IN THE 'MIDDLE OF NOWHERE' AS THE 'SATNAV' DIRECT'S YOU ALONG THE 'FASTEST' ROUTE......WHICH IT IS!! JUST LINED WITH TREE'S AND DITCHES DOWN BOTH SIDES OF THE SINGLE TRACK ROAD!! 'PASSING PLACES' DENOTED IN THE FORM OF A SIGNPOST, WITH A LARGE CAPITAL 'M',ON A SQUARE BLUE BACKGROUND.....

AS SUCH THEY ARE ALSO 'ACCESS' ROADS FOR PEOPLE'S HOUSE'S,AND IN REGULAR EVERYDAY USE,FOR NATIVE SWEDE'S TO GET TO WORK ETC.....

AS WE HAD A FEW HOURS 'FREE' ON THE FRIDAY AFTERNOON,WE CHOSE TO DRIVE A FEW OF THE SELECTED STAGES,TO SEE WHERE WOULD BE BEST FOR 'SPECTATING' LATER THAT EVENING.THE 'STAGES' HAD ALREADY BEEN SET-UP WITH THE ARROWS AND BOARDS IN PLACE......

THIS BEING MY SECOND VISIT TO SCANDINVIA THIS YEAR,AND OBTAINING A 'HIRE CAR' BOTH TIMES? BOTH OF THESE HAVE NOW BEEN 'HYBRID-POWERED'.......PART MOTOR-PART PETROL......WHICH OVER THESE VAST UNDULATING REMOTE AREA'S,REALLY COME INTO THEIR OWN.

THINK ABOUT THE CONCEPT OF 'SAABS FREEWHEEL' ALL THOSE YEARS AGO,AND THIS IS THE MODERN DAY EVOLUTION....

OVER SEVERAL VISIT'S TO THE 'WINTER RALLY SWEDEN' PREVIOUSLY,THERE HAVE BEEN VARIOUS 'STANDS' THERE PROMOTING DIFFERING VEHICLES AND THE NEW TECHNOLOGY SURROUNDING THEM.'TOYOTA' OF WHICH WE DRIVING THIS TIME,WERE INVESTING FAR MORE IMPETUS IN A 'HYDROGEN' POWERED TEST VEHICLE,A FEW YEARS AGO....RATHER THAN ANY FULLY ELECTRIC POTENTIAL 'SOLUTION',FOR THE INFRASTRUCTURE SURROUNDING US,IN THAT PARTICULAR LOCATION.
THE 'E.V' CONCEPT SIMPLY DOES NOT WORK,IN THE GEOGRAPHY .....THE DISTANCES NEEDED TO TRAVEL ARE TOO FAR,AND THE WEATHER CONDITIONS,BETWIXT WINTER AND SUMMER TOO EXTREME... AND 'CHARGING STATIONS' TOO REMOTE.

MAYBE WE CAN SEE NOW JUSY WHY? SO MANY MOTOR MANUFACTURER'S HAVE UTILISED LOCATIONS FURTHER NORTH IN SWEDEN SUCH AS 'ARJEPLOG' FOR EXTENSIVE 'WINTER TESTING',TO SEE HOW THE COLD AFFECT'S THIS NEW GROUND-BREAKING TECHNOLOGY,WITH SUCH EXTREME'S OF TEMPERATURE......

INDEED,AS WE PARKED UP FOR ONE OF THE MORNING STAGE'S A 'TEST VEHICLE' OF SOME KIND PULLED UP BEHIND US....

BUT BACK TO FRIDAY EVENING,AROUND 19.48.......AND THE SWEDISH SUNSHINE,IN THE 'VARMLAND' FOREST.JUST BEFORE THE FIRST CAR CAME THROUGH...

Attachments:
DSC_5435A.jpg
DSC_5435A.jpg [ 400.28 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]
DSC_5459A.jpg
DSC_5459A.jpg [ 439.58 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]
DSC_5458A.jpg
DSC_5458A.jpg [ 451.47 KiB | Viewed 97 times ]

ENJOY IT.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:06 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab 900 and 99
A few pics from SS1 on Friday evening.
The Evo IX finished 2nd in the 4WD class and 13th overall, most of the time it appeared to be sideways and very well driven.

Volvo 242.

Opel Astra GSi 16v, later to retire, mechanical.

Lancer EVO 6 TME red
Lancer EVO 6 TME black
GR Yaris 21 Red

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:12 am 
UKS Addict

THE STAGES THEMSELVES,WERE INCREDIBLY FAST AND FLOWING.....

MOSQUITO'S CAN BE A PROBLEM,AT THIS TIME OF THE DAY IN THE STILL SUMMER AIR,AS THEY PARTICULARLY SEEM TO LIKE HANGING AROUND UNDER THE SHADE IN THE TREE'S.....
MANY YEAR'S AGO, WE CAME ACROSS A PRODUCT IN SWEDEN KNOWN AS 'MYGG',IN A PUMP SPRAY.....WHICH REPELS THE LITTLE *(()*&!!,SO THIS TIME WE WERE LEFT ALONE...TO ENJOY THE ACTION 8) .

HERE IN THE UK,THE USE OF 'HAY BALES' IN FRONT OF LARGE INANIMATE OBJECTS IS THE USUAL SIGN OF A 'CAUTION' BOARD,AMIDST YOUR STAGE 'PACENOTES'?
SO,WE WERE A LITTLE CONFUSED AT FIRST? WHEN DRIVING THE 'STAGES' A LITTLE EARLIER TO FIND HUGE SHEETS OF 6X4 PLYWOOD,SUPPORTED BY WOODEN STAKES ON THE OUTSIDE OF SOME OF THE BENDS.....BUT NO 'HAY BALES'?
SURELY THAT CAN'T BE THE BEST EFFORT OF THE LOCAL RESIDENT'S/SVERIGE MOTOR CLUB,TO TRY AND STOP AN OVER-EXUBERANT COMPETITOR TO COME CRASHING THROUGH YOUR FRONT LAWN?

IT WAS ONLY THEN,WE REALISED THE BOARDS ARE THERE,TO STOP FLYING STONES GOING THROUGH RESIDENTIAL WINDOWS :shock: :lol: :loco: ,AS THE FOREST ROAD'S PASS JUST METRES,FROM SOME OF THE WOODEN HOUSES.....

JUST BY COINCIDENCE,THE FRIDAY NIGHT STAGE 'FINISH' WAS JUST 500 YARDS FROM OUR ACCOMODATION...

7 YEARS AGO,WAS WHEN WE FIRST MET THE DELIGHTFUL RETIRED LADY, BACK THEN? IT WAS IN THE 'DEPTHS' OF THE SWEDISH WINTER,AFTER A DAY OF TRUDGING THROUGH THE DEEP FEBRUARY SNOW FOR THE 'RALLY SVERIGE'....AND WE NEEDED SOME 'LAST MINUTE' OVERNIGHT ACCOMODATION.

SHE SUPPLIED US WITH BED,BREAKFAST AND 3 COURSE EVENING MEAL....WITH COFFEE TO FOLLOW SAT IN FRONT OF THE 'LOG BURNER',AND 'THE' MOST DIVERSE CONVERSATION,AS SHE IS ACTUALLY A WORDLY-WISE 'DUTCH' NATIONAL,WHOM MOVED TO 'VARMLAND' SOME 12 YEARS AGO,TO ENJOY HER RETIREMENT.
SHE CAN SPEAK RATHER GOOD ENGLISH,AND ALMOST 'FLUENT' IN SWEDISH........

FOR ME,IN PARTICULAR....THIS WAS AN INCREDIBLE DISCOVERY,TO FIND SOMEONE,WHOM HAD CHOSEN TO ACTUALLY COME AND LIVE IN 'SVERIGE',GO THROUGH THE PROCESS OF BUYING A HOUSE, AND THEIR EXPERIENCES OF THE SWEDISH CULTURE&ADMINISTRATION ALONG THE WAY.......

WE HAVE MIXED CONVERSATION,IN WHAT I REFER TO AS 'SWINGLISH'.....? I GET TO LEARN A LITTLE MORE OF THE LANGUAGE,AND SHE GET'S TO PRACTICE HER ENGLISH. :lol:

'HEATING' FOR THE HOUSE COMES FROM A HOLE, BORED DEEP INTO THE UNDERLYING ROCK,SOME 200 METRES OR SO,WHICH IS THEN DISTRIBUTED VIA A 'HEAT PUMP' AROUND THE VARIOUS ROOMS,OF THE HOUSE....
INITIALLY QUITE COSTLY TO INSTALL(AROUND £10,000 JUST TO BORE THE HOLE) THIS COST IS RECOVERED,YEAR UPON YEAR,AS ELECTRICITY(ALTHOUGH CHEAPER IN SWEDEN THE FURTHER NORTH YOU GO)IS STILL VERY EXPENSIVE.

SINCE THEN,WE HAVE BEEN BACK TO STAY WITH HER,MAYBE 9 OR 10 TIMES ? SUCH IS THE TRANQUILTY,AND NATURAL SURROUNDING'S.....WITH FRESH VEGETABLES GROWN IN HER GARDEN,AND HOME-MADE JAMS TO GO WITH MORNING PANCAKES,AND FREE-RANGE EGGS,AS THE CHICKENS ROAM AROUND AT THE BOTTOM OF THE GARDEN...
IT IS NOT UNCOMMON FOR HER TO HAVE MOOSE AND DEER,NIBBLING AT THE FRUIT TREE'S,IN THE GARDEN...

IN THOSE 7 YEARS,SINCE WE FIRST MET? WE WERE STILL THE ONLY PEOPLE FROM THE 'UK' TO VISIT,SUCH IS THE REMOTENESS OF THE LOCATION,UNTIL LAST WEEK,WHEN TWO ENGLISH BIKER'S HAD RIDDEN ACROSS EUROPE TO STAY WITH HER....ON THEIR WAY NORTH, TO THE TOP OF NORWAY.

I HAD ASKED,IF IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR OUR 3 COURSE FRIDAY EVENING MEAL,TO BE TAKEN AT 18.00? SUCH THAT WE COULD 'WORK IT OFF' TREKKING UPHILL INTO THE FOREST....TO WATCH THE 'NIGHT STAGE' OF THE RALLY.

INCIDENTALLY,WE HAD STARTED THE SAME DAY(FRIDAY) AT 05.30 AM,WITH AN EARLY BREAKFAST.....AND HEADED OVER TO SANDEFJORD,NORWAY TO SEE SOME FRIENDS. THIS INVOLVED A 3.5 HOUR TRIP(ONE WAY),WHICH ALTHOUGH ONLY 120 MILES IN DISTANCE(ONE WAY) MEANS THAT YOU ARE TRAVERSING MEANDERING EMPTY FOREST ROADS,ALBEIT ON TARMAC,FOR A THIRD OF THE JOURNEY......THE ROADS DO OPEN UP,AND THE NOMINAL SPEED LIMIT'S INCREASE,AS YOU GET NEARER THE BORDER,ALONG WITH HAVING TO CROSS THE 'OSLO FJORD' BY FERRY.

THE COST OF THE FERRY CROSSING IS AROUND £18(ONE WAY),AND TAKES JUST 25 MINUTES. THERE IS NO NEED TO BOOK,AS SEVERAL FERRY'S RUN IN ROTATION,SO YOU NO MORE THAN A TEN MINUTE WAIT AT THE HARBOUR.BUT THEY DO STOP RUNNING JUST BEFORE MIDNIGHT,AND START ONCE AGAIN EARLY MORNING. THEY ALSO RUN THROUGH THE WINTER...

IT MAKES THE TRANSITION, ACROSS THE 'OSLO FJORD' A MUCH MORE PLEASANT&FASTER EXPERIENCE,THAN DRIVING UP,AND AROUND THROUGH 'OSLO' ITSELF....?

THE 'BORDER CONTROL' ACROSS SWEDEN/NORWAY IS SIMPLY DRIVEN THROUGH,AT A VERY SLOW PACE.....IN ALL THESE YEARS,WE HAVE NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH IT.

IN FACT, THIS MEANT THAT WE WERE BACK IN 'ARVIKA' TOWN SQUARE(VARMLAND),FOR THE RALLY START, BY 16.30 THE VERY SAME DAY....

ANYHOW,THERE I GO RAMBLING AGAIN....

IT HAS BEEN A LONG,BUT ENJOYABLE DAY......THROUGHOUT TWO COUNTRIES,TOPPED OFF WITH THE 'RALLY' ACTION LATE INTO THE SUMMER EVENING.

A FEW MORE PICS OF THE FRIDAY NIGHT STAGE....WITH SOME OF THE BIG VOLVO'S COMING THROUGH,AT INCREDIBLE PACE AND SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE ANGLES,WITH JUST RWD...

THE LAST CAR CAME THROUGH JUST BEFORE 10 PM.....A SAAB 9-3 V6,AND WE JOINED A MASS OF SPECTATOR'S WHOM MUST HAVE BEEN HIDING IN THE TREE'S? RATHER A SURREAL EXPERIENCE,AS A 'WILD FRIDAY NIGHT' HAD COME AND GONE,IN THE MIDDLE OF NOWHERE....

TIME FOR BED.....
(CLICK TO ENLARGE PHOTOS)

Attachments:
DSC_5423A.jpg
DSC_5423A.jpg [ 395.99 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]
DSC_5437.JPG
DSC_5437.JPG [ 386.05 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]
DSC_5446.JPG
DSC_5446.JPG [ 405.09 KiB | Viewed 32 times ]

ENJOY IT.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 371 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next