UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:01 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 6:17 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Models: 9-5 Aero (2002, manual, saloon
I left the car at Malcolm Miles for a couple of days last week for them to work their usual magic.

This is probably the most important update:

ImageViggen95 by James Vey, on Flickr

The car has done just 1600 miles in the last 12 months - 350 of those have been during the 3 weeks I've owned it!

New suspension arms left and right, although I have a photo of just the one side. Excuse the crap that's sitting on the arms - this was taken a couple of days after the work was done:

#ImageViggen94 by James Vey, on Flickr

They also fitted the new handbrake cable, so that works nicely now. No photos of that.

The engine bay was cleaned and I'd say it's come up pretty well. Needs a refurbished cam cover but I will save jobs like that until the winter months when the car isn't being used:

ImageViggen98 by James Vey, on Flickr

In other news, I booked the car in to have the bonnet resprayed (3 weeks tomorrow), so I'm really looking forward to how much of a improvement that makes. In preparation for that, I purchased a new old-stock bonnet badge from Stephen at Suffolk SAAB. Certainly not cheap, but I sent him the money at about 2pm on a Friday and the badge was in my hands by lunchtime on the Saturday.

ImageViggen96 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen97 by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:49 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Over the weekend I left the car with SAAB buddy Nick - he has all the cleaning gear, knows what he's doing and has the enthusiasm for it. The car had clearly been polished in the not too recent past, but he was confident he would be able to improve it.

This photo shows the poor condition of the bonnet and the reason for the upcoming respray. This was good for Nick as it reduced his workload - no need to touch the roof or the bonnet!

ImageViggen103 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen102 by James Vey, on Flickr

I'll let the following before, during and after photos do the talking:

ImageViggen110 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen111 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen104 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen105 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen108 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen106 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen112 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen113 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen100 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen109 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen114 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen101 by James Vey, on Flickr

Really pleased with the result. Admittedly the bodywork is far from perfect but it certainly cleans up well considering the age of it. Over the next few years (and once other jobs are done) I will throw a bit of money at the bodywork, but for now (apart from the bonnet) it's fine for me.

I drove the car home in the sunshine, roof down (obviously!), absolutely loving it. It's performing well and has a reasonably amusing turn of speed when required. That feeling of elation only lasted until the next morning however when I was greeted with this:

ImageViggen115 by James Vey, on Flickr

The offending item had since made a bid for freedom but I could see the remaining hole and it was repairable, which got done today. To add salt in the wound, the guy who did the repair to me muttered those words I did NOT want to hear: "did you know this wheel has a slight buckle in it?". He spun it up and I saw it with my own eyes. I said quite a few naughty words at that point! It balanced up fine, but I'm somewhat miffed. I need to think about my longer-term wheel strategy for this car. It'll probably be something along the lines of putting some mint Viggen "softies" into storage and running some Hirsch rims instead.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:44 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

I treated myself to a Viggen brochure - something that might be quite nice to flick through in years to come:

ImageViggen116 by James Vey, on Flickr

This weekend I took the rear lights out in a bid to clear out some of the green smeg that had collected over the years. Some of the nooks and crannies are accessible with an old toothbrush and/or a pin, but some of it seems to be unreachable. I've certainly improved it at least. It's the sort of thing that you keep noticing once you see it for the first time.

Obviously these are some "before" pictures to show you the sort of thing I'm talking about:

ImageViggen117 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen118 by James Vey, on Flickr

Whilst the lights were out I wiped the area in which they live:

ImageViggen119 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen120 by James Vey, on Flickr

The recess around the key hole was a good collector of dirt but was easily cleanable with a damp cotton bud:

ImageViggen121 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen122 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen123 by James Vey, on Flickr

The final part of this update is that I've dropped the car off to my local trusted paintshop for a bonnet respray. He might do the tops of the wings (at slightly extra cost). To be honest I don't care how he gets there, as long as it looks pukka when I get it back in a few days. As you can see, it really is flat as a pancake:

ImageViggen124 by James Vey, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:46 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: GM900
like a different car when its clean, top job on this

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:09 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 2007 Derv Dame Vector Sport
This is going to be factory fresh in a few days. Lovely.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:02 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

I got the car back from the paintshop today. I'm pleased with how it's turned out. The guy is going to send me some progress photos, so if they materialise I will add them to this thread.

The bonnet is now in keeping with the rest of the car, and I'm glad I splashed out on the NOS bonnet badge:

ImageViggen125 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen126 by James Vey, on Flickr

ImageViggen127 by James Vey, on Flickr

My next job will likely be cleaning and conditioning the leather that I haven't touched yet and replacing the headlights for ones without the broken legs.

On a completely random note, I keep thinking that I need a Viggen-related plate on it, either V16xxx, V19xxx or one of the Irish jobbies such as VIGxxxx, but I think the Irish ones always look like someone is just trying to hide the age of the thing it's bolted to.