UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

The place for you to start a thread about and show us your car.

(Please stick to one thread, rather than starting several threads for the same vehicle).

Your Cars is the place for telling us about your new cars, minor upgrades and mini projects.
Full on restorations & major rebuilds should be posted in Restorations & Major Projects.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:13 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: Boring VW Golf
old cabbie 1945 wrote:
Looks nice, useful thing to own. Bet it will not be unused for long....

Hopefully, Been on the hunt for something for a few Months now but as yet nothing has taken my eye. Also its not really possible to view anything at the moment and although Bike Dealers will do a Click & Delivery Service with Video Walkrounds etc I am reluctant to take the Salesman's word for it that a Bike is immaculate when it probably is far from it.

I would want an agreement up front that when the Bike is delivered if it isn't as described I can reject it no quibble.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:43 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: GSXR1000 K2,250 Nighthawk Aero vert gone
[/quote]

Hopefully, Been on the hunt for something for a few Months now but as yet nothing has taken my eye. Also its not really possible to view anything at the moment and although Bike Dealers will do a Click & Delivery Service with Video Walkrounds etc I am reluctant to take the Salesman's word for it that a Bike is immaculate when it probably is far from it.

I would want an agreement up front that when the Bike is delivered if it isn't as described I can reject it no quibble.[/quote]

Quite agree a video can still hide a multitude of sins. Not least whether a bike is straight. You can only really look at headstock, lock stops and chassis rails with your own eyes to make a judgement. I also like to take a good torch to pick up defects behind panels but I guess I am usually looking at older bikes than you are thinking of buying.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:04 pm 
UKS Addict

Looking forward to tomorrow. It is going to be warmer, we need a little shopping for essentials like milk and bread so it will be a perfect excuse to take the bike. Hurrah! Cannot wait.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:16 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 99L, 9000cse, Panda, Octavia estate and far too many 9-5s.
old cabbie 1945 wrote:
Looking forward to tomorrow. It is going to be warmer, we need a little shopping for essentials like milk and bread so it will be a perfect excuse to take the bike. Hurrah! Cannot wait.

Report back tomorrow with no damage. You best be ok too. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:24 pm 
UKS Addict

Good little trip to the Supermarket. It is amazing what you can carry in tank bag and and a small rucksack. Nice little 20 mile round trip on the Honda, trying out my clutch adjustment which seems good. Will investigate high tick over, currently just under 2000rpm. Sticking cable perhaps?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:44 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 99L, 9000cse, Panda, Octavia estate and far too many 9-5s.
As you are older than I am, though not by much, I think you may know the trick to trickle 3in1 down the cable by making at funnel at the top end. IIRC it was out of plasticine but who has that know. I'm sure a "cone" from plastic wrapping with the tip cut off will do just as well. There could be all sorts of crud from the past decades. Although I seem to recollect some cables having a nylon sheath so it wasn't metal on metal (Italian in my experience). The other thing, according to my little grey cells is to make sure the slider actually hits the bottom of its travel in the carb. I did this with my fingertips on the carb as to me that was a more reliable method. Even with two carbs and two fingers.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 pm 
Saab Nut

Bought another BMW S1000R Sport this Afternoon :lol:

Yes I know I have had a few over the Years :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:29 am 
UKS Addict

DeeDub8 wrote:
As you are older than I am, though not by much, I think you may know the trick to trickle 3in1 down the cable by making at funnel at the top end. IIRC it was out of plasticine but who has that know. I'm sure a "cone" from plastic wrapping with the tip cut off will do just as well. There could be all sorts of crud from the past decades. Although I seem to recollect some cables having a nylon sheath so it wasn't metal on metal (Italian in my experience). The other thing, according to my little grey cells is to make sure the slider actually hits the bottom of its travel in the carb. I did this with my fingertips on the carb as to me that was a more reliable method. Even with two carbs and two fingers.

Glad you enjoyed the trip.

Sorted the tick over thanks. Seemed to be a combination of a twisted cable return spring and possibly the cable itself being dry and sticking. According to Haynes the tick over for the 250 is surprisingly high, 1400rpm + or -100rpm. Seems to be around 1350 now which is fine.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:35 am 
UKS Addict

bonelorry wrote:

Well third time lucky with the S1000R Simon! Assuming you have still got it. :) I still think your Hayabusa, it was spot on.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:57 pm 
Saab Nut

old cabbie 1945 wrote:
bonelorry wrote:

Well third time lucky with the S1000R Simon! Assuming you have still got it. :) I still think your Hayabusa, it was spot on.

Fingers crossed, Its a 7 Month Old Bike that has done just 500 Miles and from a BMW Dealer so I am hoping it should be!

With the New Model coming out this Summer a lot of Dealers are selling off their Ex-Demonstrator Bikes and they are superb value for Money, Although I did look at about 5 of them around the UK I wasn't happy with any of them so declined.

The Bike I have bought was owned by BMW UK but it was a Managers Personal Bike so is well specced, Registered June 2020 so under Manufacturers Warranty until June 2023, Had its Running in Service in October 2020 at 500 Miles and has not been ridden since so is an Immaculate example. Even better was that I paid the same price for it as what the Ex-Demonstrators are advertised for.

The Hayabusa, It was a nice Bike but I was never impressed with the Handling. Infact I had 2 occasions when I was pressing on a twisty section of Road and ended up out of the seat when it put up a protest to changing direction too quickly, I wouldn't mind but I was doing over 100MPH both times.

Quick as you like in a straight line, Super Stable at Speed but I found the limitations of the Chassis when trying to ride it like a 1000CC Sports Bike. The OEM Brakes where not Great either which is why a swapped the Fluid and fitted some SBS Sintereds.

I don't regret Buying the Hayabusa and I although I wouldn't buy another Gen 2 Bike I would certainly consider One of the New Gen 3 Hayabusa's that have just been released this Year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:05 pm 
UKS Addict

The BMW sounds good as near as possible to a new bike should be good...and a keeper although if you ride often on the far side you may rue the lack of fairing?

Regarding the Hayabusa I understand what you are saying but not experienced it. I do not have access to modern 1000cc bikes like the zx10 you owned. My GSXR is probably closer to the Hayabusa it needs plenty of muscle to change direction quickly.

I am disappointed with the new Hayabusa. It looks better and I like the pipes but it is basically a very old design. It should be 40kg lighter with an an over bored and lightly turbo'd GSXR 1000 engine producing around 240 rwhp. Suzuki are losing the plot with larger sports bikes. Not enough investment. The cutting edge is now with Germany and Italy. Even the new Fireblade is I believe a disappointment on the road, too race focussed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:00 am 
Saab Nut

old cabbie 1945 wrote:
The BMW sounds good as near as possible to a new bike should be good...and a keeper although if you ride often on the far side you may rue the lack of fairing?

Regarding the Hayabusa I understand what you are saying but not experienced it. I do not have access to modern 1000cc bikes like the zx10 you owned. My GSXR is probably closer to the Hayabusa it needs plenty of muscle to change direction quickly.

I am disappointed with the new Hayabusa. It looks better and I like the pipes but it is basically a very old design. It should be 40kg lighter with an an over bored and lightly turbo'd GSXR 1000 engine producing around 240 rwhp. Suzuki are losing the plot with larger sports bikes. Not enough investment. The cutting edge is now with Germany and Italy. Even the new Fireblade is I believe a disappointment on the road, too race focussed.

To be fair I don't do many long distance journeys on the Bike to worry about the lack of Full Fairing, However from what I remember when I owned my previous S1000R's in that they are still quite Aerodynamic and still have Half the Upper Fairing. Infact the latest S1000RR doesn't have what I would traditionally class as a Full Fairing and has gaps all over the place with Frame and Engine Exposed but that is the way they seem to be going.

Taller Riders can have issues with Wind buffeting especially above 100MPH as the OEM Screen is tiny and not really upto the Job, Wunderlich do a Sports Screen which is supposed to be the best and is the one I will be going for when the Bike arrives.

With regards to the Hayabusa I had, If your GSXR1000 is anything like my Dads 1999 4XV R1 or my old 1999 Fireblade then yes they can take a bit of man handling but would run rings around the Hayabusa in the Twisties. That said the Hayabusa is not really built for its agility so perhaps I expected too much from it.

I agree with your regarding the 2021 Hayabusa, They could have done a lot more with it but they decided to stick with the tried and tested formula and improved on it. I actually think with the Electronics, Better Brakes and all the other improvements the new Hayabusa will be a quicker Bike than the last Generation in the real world. On Paper they are a little bit down on BHP/Torque due to Euro 5 Emissions and that is what a lot of current Hayabusa Owners are disappointed with as they see it as a step backwards but with a Full Exhaust and a Remap it should be 200RWHP Bike all day long.

My mates H2 which is 235RWHP is basically unusable on the Road, He only ever uses 60-70% of its Full Performance and tends to short shift around 8000RPM which according to his Dyno plot is about 160RWHP. The rest is just for willy waving.

Infact on the Roads we ride on I have no trouble keeping up with the H2 on my previous BMW S1000R Sport, Long stretches of Road and Motorways forget it he is gone but I would rather have a good all rounder personally.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:13 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Models: 96 V4, 9-3
Another S1000R! You must like them Bonelorry. Hope it is spotless and works out for you, great fun, lucky guy. Agree what you say about the Busa, how did they get that through through Euro 5 but they had to drop the ZZR! I am also after a BMW and an ex demo but a GS Adventure this time after I sold my GS last year.

Due to recent lung/heart damage from my work which has changed my life, outlook and what I can and cannot do I am selling my boat (and even considering selling my 96 ). I have been considering the ZZR1400 again as you can get a really nice one for about 9-10k or try and stretch further for a 2020 GSA with 1-2000 miles on the clock for 15k ish which would be a dream. I would love the ZZR, especially its engine, build quality and reliability over the poor reliability of the BM (even lower than Harley's now) the recall list is endless with continuous penny pinching parts like the dropping of the front Brembos for Hayes brakes which are now on recall through leaks! BUT I know the ZZR would be so uncomfortable on a long ride, it would give my wrists grief after an hour and 3 hours on it would be hard work. The GS is so comfortable and safe as you can see over cars/hedges and your night trying to peer upwards with your head tilted down, it is easier for me to look left and right also and you don,t have to hold your head up, it is more more fun around bends than the ZZR also. Amazing how flippeable they are... something to do with low down weight but also the force of the cylinders going side to side? The cantilever suspension as well as forks is soooo nice around country lane bumps and it all makes it such a nice thing to ride. I can use it for all sorts things also where as the ZZR is a bit limiting. It would be nice to have both but hey you can,t have everything... unless I sell my 96 Hmmm. Bikes are so much easier to maintain, no rust, no rare parts to source etc etc. I should sell it really but you get a lot of car for your money, Its just ongoing hassle and cost which I cannot really do these days.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:33 am 
Saab Nut

Zagato wrote:
Another S1000R! You must like them Bonelorry. Hope it is spotless and works out for you, great fun, lucky guy. Agree what you say about the Busa, how did they get that through through Euro 5 but they had to drop the ZZR! I am also after a BMW and an ex demo but a GS Adventure this time after I sold my GS last year.

Due to recent lung/heart damage from my work which has changed my life, outlook and what I can and cannot do I am selling my boat (and even considering selling my 96 ). I have been considering the ZZR1400 again as you can get a really nice one for about 9-10k or try and stretch further for a 2020 GSA with 1-2000 miles on the clock for 15k ish which would be a dream. I would love the ZZR, especially its engine, build quality and reliability over the poor reliability of the BM (even lower than Harley's now) the recall list is endless with continuous penny pinching parts like the dropping of the front Brembos for Hayes brakes which are now on recall through leaks! BUT I know the ZZR would be so uncomfortable on a long ride, it would give my wrists grief after an hour and 3 hours on it would be hard work. The GS is so comfortable and safe as you can see over cars/hedges and your night trying to peer upwards with your head tilted down, it is easier for me to look left and right also and you don,t have to hold your head up, it is more more fun around bends than the ZZR also. Amazing how flippeable they are... something to do with low down weight but also the force of the cylinders going side to side? The cantilever suspension as well as forks is soooo nice around country lane bumps and it all makes it such a nice thing to ride. I can use it for all sorts things also where as the ZZR is a bit limiting. It would be nice to have both but hey you can,t have everything... unless I sell my 96 Hmmm. Bikes are so much easier to maintain, no rust, no rare parts to source etc etc. I should sell it really but you get a lot of car for your money, Its just ongoing hassle and cost which I cannot really do these days.

Firstly I am sorry to hear of your recent Health issues :( Hope you are doing OK!

With regards to the Kawasaki ZZR1400, They are supposed to be superb Bikes and better than the Hayabusa in terms of Performance, Build Quality and Handling.

I really considered getting a ZZR myself this time around and I actually enquired about a couple of 2017 Performance Sport Models but talked myself out of it for the simple reason I wanted something fun, nimble & agile and there is no getting around the fact that the ZZR is a big Bike. Not that its a Negative towards the Bike as I do like my bigger stuff having owned a ZX12R & Hayabusa in the past but it wouldn't ultimately offer what I want from a Bike this time around.

That said I will definitely own a ZZR1400 at some point in the future as I have to try one.

I hear what you are saying about long distance comfort on the ZZR but you can get some quality Bar-Risers for them which make a big difference and you don't need to modify any of the Brake Lines etc. One of the Bikes I enquired about had some fitted and they looked OEM to be honest.

Onto the S1000R Sport, I know I have had a few before and I haven't had the best of experiences with Bad Dealerships and Reliability issues. That said for me anyway I was blown away when I rode them. If I wanted a Super-Naked Bike I was a little limited because I don't like the Yamaha MT10 apart from the noise the Crossplane Engine makes, I wouldn't touch an Aprilia or Ducati with a Barge Pole, The Suzuki GSX1000 is built down to a budget and they have terrible fuelling, The Kawasaki Z1000 and H2 Z do nothing for me either.

I also considered the fully faired S1000RR Sport because for the budget I wanted to spend I could get a 2017/2018 Gen 3 Bike but I sensibly decided against it as I really don't think I would be able to ride it as quickly and as comfortably as the Flat Barred S1000R Sport. As much as I love Full on Sports Bikes I do get pins and needles in my hands and cramp in my upper legs after 100 Miles or so which can spoil the experience.

Older Sports Bikes such as my old 1999 Fireblade was really roomy and comfortable, The Pegs not too high and the Clip ons nice and High. On the Modern stuff unless you are 10 Stone they can get a little cramped...I will still end up owning another modern 1000CC Sports Bike though in the future :lol: :loco:

Let us know how you get on with your hunt for an Ex-Demo GS, I can Highly recommend Williams Motorrad in Manchester which is where my latest Bike is from. Also Sycamore Motorrad in Peterborough, Vertu Motorrad in Sunderland and LLoyd Motorrad in Carlise have all been very helpful during my search and made distance buying a simple and much easier process.

I am not the easiest of Customers as I am really particular when it comes to Condition and ask for a lot of Detail, Videos and HD Images but they have all been obliging.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:44 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Thanks Bonelorry, yes the ZZR is VERY heavy and probably too similar to my FJR, sod to get around B road bends but I would still like one just for the looks of the thing. Riding the old Thunderace for a year was an eye opener, sooo light, like a push bike, so easy to manoeuvre, you could mess about mid bend even but not on the FJR and probably ZZR you had to get a bend right and you were stuck with that line. Horrible thing to ride, even the reviews at the time said one hour was max on it before everything ached. I'm am not sure lowered pegs and bar risers would be enough for me but some say it works fine. I have clients around all the time and I would feel a bit deflated opening up the garage door to a GS :roll: but a ZZR would be another matter :lol:

Yes like your choice of bike, googled it last night. Also more info on the BMW, Hayes brakes. Australia and USA maybe Europe are doing recalls and replacing them with smaller poxy Brembos as they are cheap. We don,t even have a recall to check them. Your bike and other models came up as a USA recall if it is a 2020 model, worth checking. Hopefully you have branded Brembos not BMW written on them... ce of an oil leak apparently, loads riding around on BMW labelled Hayes brakes however with no problems...when do you get yours, we need pics :D

Oh yes, thanks for the tip, Manchester has a 2020 in at the moment at a good price, it is all at least 1K more down here. I need to sell my boat first....

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:34 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

It seems to me the BMW dealership prices on some of the GS,s have gone down by £500-1000 in the last week. Is this because of the new registrations or new time of year when prices drop or is it a sales figure quoter push? I could only find one at 15.5K but there are a few now...

I know the bottom end went up during the first lockdown by 1K on the GS1150 and 2005 GS. They were £3500 now at £4500. Guess who sold at £3500 but I bought for that so no problem, just bad timing.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:48 pm 
Saab Nut

Zagato wrote:
Thanks Bonelorry, yes the ZZR is VERY heavy and probably too similar to my FJR, sod to get around B road bends but I would still like one just for the looks of the thing. Riding the old Thunderace for a year was an eye opener, sooo light, like a push bike, so easy to manoeuvre, you could mess about mid bend even but not on the FJR and probably ZZR you had to get a bend right and you were stuck with that line. Horrible thing to ride, even the reviews at the time said one hour was max on it before everything ached. I'm am not sure lowered pegs and bar risers would be enough for me but some say it works fine. I have clients around all the time and I would feel a bit deflated opening up the garage door to a GS :roll: but a ZZR would be another matter :lol:

Yes like your choice of bike, googled it last night. Also more info on the BMW, Hayes brakes. Australia and USA maybe Europe are doing recalls and replacing them with smaller poxy Brembos as they are cheap. We don,t even have a recall to check them. Your bike and other models came up as a USA recall if it is a 2020 model, worth checking. Hopefully you have branded Brembos not BMW written on them... ce of an oil leak apparently, loads riding around on BMW labelled Hayes brakes however with no problems...when do you get yours, we need pics :D

Oh yes, thanks for the tip, Manchester has a 2020 in at the moment at a good price, it is all at least 1K more down here. I need to sell my boat first....

My bike is actually the Gen 2 2017-2020 Model so has the proper Brembos fitted which BMW have used now for around 10 Years on the S1000RR and S1000R. I know the Newer Gen 3 S1000RR and the some other Models have the Black Calipers with BMW written on them made by Hayes, Interesting to hear they are having issues with them!

Zagato wrote:
It seems to me the BMW dealership prices on some of the GS,s have gone down by £500-1000 in the last week. Is this because of the new registrations or new time of year when prices drop or is it a sales figure quoter push? I could only find one at 15.5K but there are a few now...

I know the bottom end went up during the first lockdown by 1K on the GS1150 and 2005 GS. They were £3500 now at £4500. Guess who sold at £3500 but I bought for that so no problem, just bad timing.

A couple of reasons the prices have dropped, New Registrations are due out and they have a lot of Ex-Demonstrator Bikes that they never advertised due to the Lock downs.

They also get a lot of Bikes that have been on PCP for 2-3 Years and have now been returned which they couldn't sell Last Year due to restrictions.

One of the Ex-Demo S1000R Sports I was looking at was £10495 and had been for a Month or so, They reduced it to £9790 which is when I enquired about the Bike but it wasn't tidy enough to tempt me.

Another identical Bike was up at £10600 and a 70 Plate, Again though it was Ex-Demo and had spent all its life sat on the Forecourt and used in the worst of Weathers. My OCD just wont allow me to buy a Sportsbike that gets used through Winter. The Salesman actually said that as they had been so quiet he would get it professionally valeted and if price was the issue he would do it for £10000. I wasn't even interested in the Bike and was offered a £600 reduction to get a Sale!

So some of the BMW Dealerships are doing some very good deals at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:45 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

The USA have a BMW recall site which are swapping out fuel pumps, brakes etc. The UK just ignore it :lol: looked at yours in the showroom, very nice 8)

Visited a BMW dealership today to make a decision wether to sell my car to get me up to 15-16k for a GS but came away realising, they ain't worth the money so I am going to keep my 96 which has a far greater value than 7k for me and will look at ZZR,s or another GS around the 10K figure. I would jump at the ZZR but I know the riding position is going to be too low down for me. I don,t really want anything else, most other bikes are too small and I don,t want a Versys, old Tenere or Triumph Explorer. The Multistradas are too unreliable so there is not much choice. Hard life ain't it :lol: lost three stone since this thread started so will go and sit on a ZZR once again. I could own one and flog if it not, do a Bonelorry on it :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:22 pm 
Saab Nut

Zagato wrote:
I could own one and flog if it not, do a Bonelorry on it :wink:

:lol:

Mine gets delivered Tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:52 pm 
UKS Addict

Hope the delivery went well. Pictures soon?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1483 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next