UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 23, 2022 9:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Fix/upgrade 9-5 turbo?
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:37 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-5 SE
Not really sure which section to post this in, but here goes...

I have a factory standard '03 9-5 2.3turbo, manual, non-aero.
It's putting smoke and oil out of the exhaust when I give it much on the accelerator.
So presumably, gone turbo oil seals?

I like the idea of upgrading when something needs replacing, but pennies are reasonably tight, especially at the moment.
In a perfect world I'd love to build a B235 block and (aero) head, with b234 internals, decomp plate, short nosed TD04-19T and king cobra, a DO88 intercooler, sports cat, 3" full stainless exhaust.
Sadly, I don't think I can afford all (any) of that.

So, a TD04-15T from a pre-edna aero in place of the standard snail is probably more realistic. But exactly what would I need to change, and what remains unchanged?
Oil and water pipes to the turbo?
Do I need to change the injectors?
Does it need to be chipped/remaped?
Anything else?

What kind of ball park increase in bhp might be on the cards?

Or should I replace the turbo like for like (and at some point maybe get a Noobtune stage1), especially given the cost of living crisis, fuel prices, and at work we've just been told not to expect a pay rise any time soon.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:29 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Before making the shopping list, I would also suggest performing a compression test on the cylinders.
9-5's can get smokey if the valve stem seals wear...... this can then cause piston rings to not seal correctly.
The other source can be failed one way valves in the breather system.

If the figures are OK, then a td-04 is a good upgrade - it's a stronger, longer living turbo.
I think the oil and water lines don't need to be changed, but seem to remember different banjo bolts are required.
There is a braided Teflon set of lines from kinugawa that is a worthwhile option to consider.

The TD-04 turbo will fit to the existing cobra and downpipe as a bolt on, no mods necessary.

You will need a remap, but the injectors can be left well alone.
With the standard downpipe, I think you can take it as far as 265bhp, beyond that needs a 3" exhaust.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:47 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I mentioned this at work, a number of my colleagues told me to keep it standard, all of them mentioned insurance, all of them pointed out the price of fuel, I very nearly cracked under the pressure.

I don't have a compression tester, but a mate of mine has. He's been promising to dig it out to test the Saab for a while now. Perhaps I'll have to see how he's getting along. Not actually 'nag' him of course, honest.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 99L, 9000cse, Panda, Octavia estate and far too many 9-5s.
Ignore the naysayers at work. Should you end up going for a TD04 you could be very surprised at how little it affects your insurance. I rang mine before I did the upgrade on one of the fleet. The regular operator passed me back to the line manager and I explained it was a Saab turbo from the Aero and it was either £15 or free. It was a while ago.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:01 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I've just been offered a standard turbo for the cost of the postage, and there's an outside possibility I may end up being able to collect it in person, if the gods align and the stars are smiling on me, etc... fingers (and everything else) crossed.

It'll get it back on the road, and I can save up some pennies for the brakes, pads, wheels, tyres, braided lines, etc, to go with a turbo upgrade.

As a shot to medium term fix, this looks sensible. (if not very all out balls to the wall heroic*)

*I can dream.