UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:06 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:04 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 9-3 V6 Sportwagon Hirsch
Hi,
I'm currently looking at options to try and improve the MPG figures for my 2008 9-3 V6 with the Hirsch ECU power upgrade without changing my driving style. I'm not really one for hammering it everywhere but I do like to take advantage of the mid range torque every now and again!. For a while I have been set on converting to LPG, however Shell and BP have decided to start withdrawing LPG pumps from there forecourts due to decreasing sales and the new age of fully electric vehicles gathering pace. Shell have told me via email they are not withdrawing every LPG pump but most, so not very convenient in the long run especially as the conversion will cost around £2.5k. So it looks like my only option is now finding a remap that yields the best increased MPG figures. I know I'm only going to potentially/hopefully gain an extra couple of MPG but it would make me feel a bit better and maybe a bit more fun as well!
So any experience of better MPG figures after a stage 1 remap from the likes of Maptun or Nordic?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:29 am 
China Charger

Car Models: 2020 Leon Cupra S1
What MPG are you seeing at the moment?

98 9K 2.3
92 9k CD 18T
99 9-3 19T
00 9-5 Aero S3
96 9K Aero S3

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:16 am 
Active user

Currently for the time of the year between 25-26 and in the winter a couple less, not terrible for an auto I know but if I could squeeze out a couple more that would be good! I'm guessing more torque equals less effort to get to the desired speed? So long as the driving style does not change too much.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:13 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Simple things may help - a thorough service with correctly gapped plus won't hurt.
Check the tyre pressures regularly.
Take all the heavy stuff out of the boot.

A sports cat may give a slight improvement due to a reduction in restrictions.

For winter, you could consider a block heater run off the mains on a timer. This will reduce the time taken to come up to running temp.
The warm up section of any map will have the car running richer.

However, it's a V6, around town it will be thirsty.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:44 pm 
Active user

Thanks for the advice but the car is serviced (oil change & filter) every 5-6k miles, new plugs and coils 3 months ago, throttle body cleaned, fuel system cleaned including new fuel filter and pressure sensor and several sensors replaced/cleaned. So the car runs just perfect, just seeing if a remap will gain a couple of extra MPG's or not. Yeah I know it will be thirsty but just trying really!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:19 pm 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 9-3 Aero
I have seen a gain of around 2mpg from my manual V6 maptun stage 1 with identical driving. Mine shows around 24-25mpg most of the time, that’s being really gentle. I live in west London so traffic is always horrible. 2 mile drive to sons nursery takes 15 mins most days although with good weather it’s nicer to walk if.

Went to Shropshire few weeks back had no traffic and averaged 28mpg and I wasn’t hanging about!!!!

I do need to get packs and plugs done. Cylinder 6 has a misfire which is becoming more frequent. At first it was only in 5th or 6th gear but started in 3rd and 4th now if I floor it.