UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:06 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 2008 9-5 Aero Anniversary auto estate, 1998 9-3 Vert SE
Guys,

I am on my 2nd 9-5 Aero Estate. The first one was a 2005 auto estate tuned to stage 3 and running on LPG. I loved that car as it was a flying machine and I did 250K miles on it before it went to the scrappy. The big down side was the standard intercooler which is real mickey mouse engineering (most unlike Saab really) with the sides held in place with bent tabs. I kept blowing the wretched thing apart.

I know now that I should have replaced with another 2005 Aero but I was seduced by a late 2008 DE Aero auto estate, anniversary edition. I have decided that I am not going to stage 3 with this one and have limited the upgrades to a 3" downpipe, 3.5 bar fpr and a stage 1 Noobtune and std suspension. The car has now done 124k miles.

however, I am really pleased with both performance and economy, particularly on long runs. We do 450 mile journey to the in-laws in Scotland quite frequently. Now days, we tend to do the run over night to avoid the traffic etc. One of us drives and the other tends to sleep, stretched out in the back.

One recent (pre-lockdown) journey, the weather up the M5/M6/m74 was dry with virtually no wind - almost perfect conditions. The interesting thing is that the overall fuel consumption, as displayed on the SID, was 47 mpg. I must say that I was really pleased with that result as that is really diesel territory.

This was achieved by sympathetic and smooth driving (gentle acceleration, avoiding braking and setting the cruise control at an indicated 65mph.) The best I had achieved on a previous journey had been an indicated 44mpg. Of course there were the obligatory 50 mph speed limit sections but no more than normal. As result, these runs have tended to be the most stress free journeys we have had in years.

I know we don't buy and run these cars for economy but it does tend to indicate that a car that is well maintained and suitably modified car can increase the fuel efficiency quite pleasingly on such boring motorway driving. Of course, she can still pick up her skirts and shift when required.

I do wonder if I might have been able to better this if I had used 98 octane fuel, such as Shell V-power, and if I had a Do88 intercooler fitted?

Be interesting to know if anybody else managed to achieve such results?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:54 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
I think you have done really well there to get that mpg figure.
I bought a 2009 TE 2.3T auto saloon which has now done 22k miles. (Noob stage 1) She is a real drinker and is used as our summer car. We managed 37mpg indicated on a run to the south of France, but I must admit I wasn't as gentle as you, but never got above 75, tending to cruise at an indicated 72 (70 on the GPS).
I had thought about a gas conversion but I don't want to lose the spare tyre.
We do far less well round town and I try not to use it for that if I can help it. 25mpg isn't funny as an average!
I do look after my cars and your comment about maintenance is important.
I have a spare intercooler in the shed for when one of the fleet blows the bottom or an end off.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:32 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Models: enquiries@thesaabclinic.co.uk
You have done well to get that out of a 9-5 Auto.
V-Power might give you 2mpg more, thats about what i see on my 9000.

If you keep them in good condition with regular servicing and also running at constant speeds on motorways then you should always get good mpg.
I get between 40 and 41.5mpg every week, and i dont hang around either !.

With the autos. Regular fluid changes with the correct Esso 3309 / Toyota Type IV fluid for the Asin Warner gearbox will help mpg at urban speeds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:08 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 2.3t Arc Estate
That is exceptional mileage. Pre-covid I used to regularly do Edinburgh to Cambridge. In the flat shires I could get 40mpg but as soon as I got to North Allerton I would drop back to around 35mpg. For the total journey I would be pleased to get 37mpg.

9-5 2.0t Airflow
XJ6
9-5 Aero
900i

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 1:49 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 2009.5 9-5 2.3T TE St4 Auto
If you are running a stage map then really you should be running Shell 99ron as a matter of course ... what a waste otherwise!