UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 8:02 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Saab 9-5 Aero 2004
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:00 pm 
Active user

Afternoon.

In the process of buying a 2004 9-5 Aero estate that has been fettled by Abbott Racing.

I’m awaiting the original Reg number to come back from a private plate, so as to enquire to Abbott Racing about what is modified on the car from their records to let me get accurate insurance.

Buying off someone trustworthy, but he doesn’t know exactly what mods are on the car as insurance wise he’s always been on trade insurance due to being a mechanic.
He was told it was running circa 300bhp (no dyno sheet as far as I’m aware) but believes it to be a “stage” 2 upgrade from Abbott.

Items we know it has are the Abbott Delivery pipe, Full Abbott exhaust including downpipe. Some kinds of intake with a washable filter.
Possible parts are Uprated Intercooler, and possible upgraded Turbo (zero ideas on whether it’s hybrid, or what, may not even have been touched)

I can’t seem to find any details as to what Abbott consider their “Stages” of power upgrades so just asking to see if anyone would know what’s likely to have been fitted for the circa 300bhp figure. I’ve put a couple of pictures on, but took several attempts so no idea what quality it’s going to be!
Attachment:
F19D9230-2E5C-4C2D-8FED-E0F0EAE84BC2.jpeg
F19D9230-2E5C-4C2D-8FED-E0F0EAE84BC2.jpeg [ 133.06 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Attachment:
E265997D-B5C5-4F8C-B673-05F3005906DC.jpeg
E265997D-B5C5-4F8C-B673-05F3005906DC.jpeg [ 124.03 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

Post subject: Re: Saab 9-5 Aero 2004
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:44 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: Boring VW Golf
As far as I remember Abbott Racing did a couple of Packages called "Delta and Gamma" rather than calling them numbered stages of tune.

As for what Hardware is included, My friend bought a 9-5 Aero Estate which had an identical package to yours from Abbotts and I would imagine that the 300BHP Package would have their Full Turbo Back Exhaust, Delivery Pipe, Intake/Cobra Pipe, ITG Air Filter & Intercooler and Abbotts in house Software to suit Which is shocking by the way.

I owned a 9-3 Viggen in 2014 which had the lower spec Abbott Package which consisted of Full Turbo Back Exhaust & ITG Panel Filter with a 280BHP Abbott Map.

Which one is Gamma and which one is Delta I don't know and looking on the Abbott Racing Website they seem to have dropped the Packages now but still sell all the Hardware.

Sadly, Abbott Racings Software is not great at all and they tend to push things a bit far on the Software side, Lots of Boost, No extra Fuel and bad Ignition Maps. On both my Saab Viggen and my Friends 9-5 Aero we found when doing live logging via T7 Suite things get hot really quickly after a couple of Full Throttle Runs in 3rd/4th Gear.

They also like to encrypt the Files on the ECU so you cannot see what they have actually adjusted, I can tell you though that what we found when logging was that normally when Cylinder temps rise Trionic 7 can sense this through the DI Pack and Spark Plug Temps and after so many cycles the ECU will begin to pull the Ignition Timing to prevent Pre-Ignition and Melting a Piston...Abbotts Software had not disabled but reduced the sensitivity of this safety parameter within the ECU so rather than the ECU pulling the Ignition Timing after lets say 4 Cycles it would allow 15 Cycles before intervening Just an example which is not a good idea.

To go beyond 270-280BHP Safely on a B235R Engine you need more Fuel. Maptun know this and that is why they advise fitting a 3.5 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator as part of their Stage 3 Package! Abbott never offered this or included this in their packages.

So my advice would be, If you buy the Car. Go through it all with a fine toothcomb. Check all the usual items that can cause Trionic 7 Cars grief such as Sump Drop, Latest revision PCV, Major Service, All APC and Vac Lines.

Then Buy a Genuine Bosch 3.5 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator and speak to Saabnoob about getting a proper Stage 3 Map on there, The Car will not only drive much better but also you have piece of mind that the Software will be spot on and Safe.

Just to add both My Viggen and my Friends 9-5 Aero both had the Abbott Software removed and went for a decent Map afterword's, The Difference was like night and day.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:11 pm 
Active user

Thank you for the detailed response! It certainly sounds likely that it has one of those packages.
I will look into the 3.5bar FPR, already aware of the man in Nottingham for mapping as my dad’s been on here for years and had his Viggen mapped there too.
Doesn’t surprise me the maps aren’t the best, Abbott are very similar to K-tec in the Renault market who know what they’re doing, and on about parts wise but their mapping for a fair while was very much about headline figures and not about making sure everything worked together well!

In terms of what you mentioned with encryption of the ecu files. Will this cause an issue going to noob tune, as I know of several friends in the non Saab world that have had issues with locked Ecus before? I know a little, so may have got the wrong end of the stick from them!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:27 pm 
Saab Nut

tallisan wrote:
Thank you for the detailed response! It certainly sounds likely that it has one of those packages.
I will look into the 3.5bar FPR, already aware of the man in Nottingham for mapping as my dad’s been on here for years and had his Viggen mapped there too.
Doesn’t surprise me the maps aren’t the best, Abbott are very similar to K-tec in the Renault market who know what they’re doing, and on about parts wise but their mapping for a fair while was very much about headline figures and not about making sure everything worked together well!

In terms of what you mentioned with encryption of the ecu files. Will this cause an issue going to noob tune, as I know of several friends in the non Saab world that have had issues with locked Ecus before? I know a little, so may have got the wrong end of the stick from them!

Thanks!

No worries at all,

To be fair I do like some of the Abbott Racing products but some parts like their Uprated Intake which replaces the Standard Cobra is just a total rip off, Its shiny so adds bling but it still steps down to a really narrow and restrictive Elbow as it enters the Turbo just as the original Saab item does so doesn't really offer anything in terms of a Performance Increase.

The Abbott Delivery Pipe again adds bling but the stock Plastic Intake will support over 350BHP no problems.

People love them though and pay Abbott a fortune for the privilege :lol:

Regarding the ECU it won't be a problem at all, Karl will be able to Flash a Stock 9-5 Aero Base File onto your ECU to overwrite the Abbott File and then Remap it to Stage 3 from there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:10 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 2004, 9-5 Aero, Noob 3. 200k Milestone.
Another recommendation here for Karl at Noobtune, he has absolutely logged the nuts off his 9-5 tune to make sure it works AND is safe. It also improves MPG. You can't go wrong with it. The Abbot offering is, to be frank, a lash-up, Bonelorry has highlighted all the weak points in their tune and I'm also led to believe that they (or did) solder a resistor into the ECU to trick it........
Just be aware that the upgraded, 3.5 bar FPR is a compromise and will soon be overrun if you go higher than Stage 3.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9k, 2 x 9-5's & a Jaaag
As above, Karl's stuff is highly recommended. Sounds like the car might already have most of the hardware fitted (intercooler is especially good at stage 3 or beyond). As Eselar mentioned, 3.5 Bar FPR is supposedly a bit of a bodge, the "correct" method is to fit bigger injectors meaning you can retain the 3.0 Bar FPR. However, I'm running stage 3 on mine and don't intend to go past that (maybe 3+ on my new 9-5 when I transfer the parts over) as apparently you need to start swapping pistons and the like to go beyond stage 3+ (circa 300BHP).

Sump drop is still possibly worth doing, however PCV should be irrelevant on a 2004MY (or later) 9-5, they should have the newer breather system which has the additional connection into the engine block from the oil trap. Also easily identified by the fact that the PCV connection between oil trap and cobra pipe is plastic rather than a metal pipe to end of cam cover and a rubber hose between there and the oil trap. I can see the plastic pipe running along the end of the cam cover, Abbots have bodged it into the cobra pipe.

'10 9-5 2.3T Turbo Edition

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:51 pm 
Saab Nut

Just to add, I agree with the above regarding the 3.5 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator. It would be better than what you currently have but in an ideal world some Larger Injectors such as Bosch Green Giants to give more Headroom and keep your Fuel Pressure at 3 Bar. This keeps the OEM Fuel Pump happier.

I ran Stage 3+ 300BHP/450NM with a 3.5 Bar Fuel Pressure Regulator with no issues at all but I had no intentions of going any further.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:01 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Models: One or two...
Abbotts - great hardware, crap software. Get Karl to work his magic on the map for you.

That car has both their delivery pipe and cobra, so it's clearly had some useful work. Intercooler is easy to check - just have a look under the bumper.

the Abbott packages Alpha/Beta/Gamma etc - Alpha was just a map, Beta a "stage 2" remap with cat-back, Gamma was their "stage 3" incl full exhaust and I think the IC. Delta was all the bolt on bits. But once again, their software really is very crude and, having done it once, i wouldn't spend my money on their mapping again.

96V4s

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 9:19 pm 
Active user

Now I’ve got hold of the car, it seems like it is basically an Abbott “ beta” pack. Basically got the shiny bits on top, and a cat back. The Down pipe And cat don't look to be 3” to me. I intend to investigate further. It does go well enough, but have already noticed some uneven acceleration where it seems to pull hard, drop back a bit then pull again. Definitely needs a proper map on it from my limited experience!

Needs some TLC, only time will tell whether it’s a keeper!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 5:44 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9k, 2 x 9-5's & a Jaaag
Mine running a stage 3 nap used to do that until I fitted the do88 intercooler …

'10 9-5 2.3T Turbo Edition