UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:36 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Ceramic coating
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:43 am 
Active user

Car Models: 9-3 Convertible 2007 V6T
Anyone splurged on a ceramic coating for their SAAB?

Just wondered on costs and procedure.

33000 miles March 2021

Post subject: Re: Ceramic coating
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:59 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: ‘05 9-5 Linear Sport Est Auto (now sold), Mercedes GLC 250d
Just had a quote of just over £300 from a company in Norwich for a Mercedes GLC. They would want the car for a couple of days as it couldn’t get wet until the ceramic had cured.

I had a car done some years ago with IIRC Autoglym wax and that was very good for cleaning and shedding water afterwards, the ceramic is apparently much better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:01 am 
Active user

Car Models: 9-3 Convertible 2007 V6T
bpetersb wrote:
Just had a quote of just over £300 from a company in Norwich for a Mercedes GLC. They would want the car for a couple of days as it couldn’t get wet until the ceramic had cured.

I had a car done some years ago with IIRC Autoglym wax and that was very good for cleaning and shedding water afterwards.

That seems really cheap! Really cheap. From what I can see it is a day or 2's job. Paint correction is key first, then the application. I have a 2007 Vert with only 33000 miles, bodywork is pretty excellent, but this may be a good idea I am thinking.

33000 miles March 2021

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:05 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: ‘05 9-5 Linear Sport Est Auto (now sold), Mercedes GLC 250d
I am thinking forward for when I am in Greece, we often get layers of Saharan dust covering the cars and the ability to just hose it off and leave it to dry would be wonderful

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:43 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: SAAB 95 AERO HOT AUTO ESTATE
I have used Poorboys ceramic on the winter wheels of the saloon and wagon. Both are really easy to clean, i'm contemplating doing the panels on the saloon in Summer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:00 pm 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 9-5 Aero
I had a tanzanite blue BMW ceramic coated. It was a company car and paid for by the dealer after the car was delivered brand new covered in swirl marks.
Price was £400ish a couple of years ago including single stage correction to remove the swirls. The coating was by Kamikaze.

Based on my experience, I would not recommend it. Especially if you haver a dark car and live near a city. It looked great freshly cleaned but within 24 hours the city dust seemed to be attracted to the coating and would leave spotted dust prints all over the car. I was forever spraying it down with a quick detailer.

I much prefer the look of carnauba or a hybrid sealant and don't mind applying it twice a year. I would spend the money on a one or two stage detail. I'm using Fusso Coat at the moment and Bilt Hamber Double Speed wax.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:35 am 
Active user

Ceramic coating works really well if the car is correctly prepared and applied by someone who knows what they are doing.
You need to fully decontaminate the surface of the car:
pre wash/snow foam
hand wash
tar and glue remover
fallout/traffic film remover
clay bar all painted surfaces
remove any paint defects using between a 1 and 4 stage cut and polish (anything left could be visible under the ceramic)
use strong pre cleaner or surface preparation cleaner to make sure the surface is free of any oils or grease

Only then do you want to apply the ceramic using the technique as provided my the coating manufacturer, remembering to follow the curing times.

The rubbish that car dealers put on their cars is barely a ceramic coating and is just applied by their cleaners with no proper preparation done to the paint, sealing in the swirls, factory polishing holograms, wash marring and any contaminants for the 6 months to a year that the thin, single coat of ceramic would last. It would be a better use of people's money to contact a good professional detailer and speak to them about getting a proper job done, then you are looking at 5 years of ceramic protection!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:46 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 2005 9-5 2.3T Vector Sport
"If it comes in a plastic bottle, it's not a ceramic coating"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWwR984Fnpo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:03 pm 
Active user

Yep mine was done by highly regarded detailer. (Paid for by the dealer) It was a two day job including the stage 1 detail. Also car was brand new.
Some manufacturers paintwork is notoriously bad out of the factory.
Wouldn’t do it again on a dark car. Money is better spent on paint correction and a high quality wax.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:13 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 900 SE Stage 3
The key benefit to a ceramic coat is how long it lasts compared to other coatings. It still needs reapplying just a bit further down the road compared with other sealants and waxes. It still offers no significant protection improvement vs a wax as you can still get scratches, swirl marks and stone chips. If you want to avoid these problems you need paint protection film. (PPF)

I have considered the more home user friendly ceramic based coatings like Gyeon Can Coat, Tac Systems Moonlight, Gtechniq C1 or C2 and Koch Chemie S0 02 but I remember how much wax I already have and need to use up first. Plus my 27 year old paint is a bit battered even though I have machine polished it. (too many years out in the street and nearly 200k miles) Mine has been getting a coat of collinite 467S for years, but I've changed over to Soft99 Fusso coat recently to see how it compares.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:19 pm 
Active user

I've switched to Soft99 recently and really like it as a Hybrid wax. Its also High temperature so is great for wheels and painted areas under the engine bay.
Bilt Hamber Double Speed is good too.