UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:56 pm 
Saab Nut

Turning my attention to the seats now on my rescue Aero. In farly good condition, no holes or tears but plenty of scuff marks, particularly the drivers bolster, I also have a black stain about the size of a 50p.I thought it may be tar/bitumen but nothing touches it. I have tried IPA (the cleaner not the beer)/ meths/ nail varnish remover/ dab of carb cleaner-nothing touches it. Thought may be old chewing gum but WD 40 did nothing. Seems to be in the fabric somehow so only thing is leave it or cover with dye.
Problem is the sticker is missing from the rear door shut panel with the trim/paint codes but pretty sure it is Midnight Blue (257) and Dover Grey (L35). Amazingly Orio cannot confirm from the VIN. Can anyone confirm from the photos that it is Dover Grey.
I will give them the Giptone cleaner and conditioner treatment before applyng the dye. Having trouble finding the dye in the Scuffmaster range but I have found it on ''Removed at users request'' site. Is it ok to go with this? Anyone used it ? Any advice gratefully received,

[url]ImageImage[/url]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:40 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate Noob Stg 1, Suzuki S Cross, '81 TR7 DHC
Not used ''Removed at users request'' stuff but he seems to have good reports. Not keen on Gliptone dyes, bought some Sand Beige for the OG9-3 to smarten the drivers seat but it was a completely different colour to the existing so had to do the whole seat and the passenger one as well and hope it did not show too much against the rear seats. It does!

'03 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 9-3 2.0t SE Vert Auto
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:27 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: sorted 9000 Aero; 9000R
There's only three seat choices for leather 9k Aeros, and that is not rocky black, should narrow it down a bit.

Steve has been renovating Saabs for decades and selling seat dye a long time, know numerous people used his version with great results, his general knowledge of Saabs is vast and due to various unfortunate affairs long ago he is no longer allowed on here to share same.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:31 pm 
Saab Nut

Bought a small bottle Dover Grey dye from ''Removed at users request''. It seems an excellent match

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:08 pm 
Saab Nut

All the seats have , except the drivers, come up very well with Gliptone cleaner and conditioner. The odd little mark was touched in with ''Removed at users request'' Dye and very happy with the result. The drivers seat is another story. No tears but the usual scuff marks particularly on the outside bolster. In fact pretty standard wear. The stitching is coming apart on the seat bottom, which is an easy fix, more troublesome is the piping is broken in 2 places.
Spoke to my local trimmer. He can "freshen " it. If he does it I am not to touch it other than vacuum it. Certainly not feed the leathe because the dye wont take. In his view applying dye with a sponge will give streaky mismatched finish. He would airbrush the whole seat for a uniform finish. He would mask off the inserts but would have to unpick the panels to insert new piping. Subsequent spraying would colour the stiching. Were it not for the piping issue I would probably go for spot sponge application of the dye but the broken piping is on the offside and very visible (to me anyway) with the door open. I am inclined to give the job to the trimmer and go with a full respray on the seat. What do folks think? It's in for a penny, in for a pound on this rescue now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:39 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: sorted 9000 Aero; 9000R
9kAero are suberb seats, has to be worth doing it right. I have Rocky black with purple stiching and have had endless compliments on them, your two tone seats look even better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:57 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
razani67 wrote:
All the seats have , except the drivers, come up very well with Gliptone cleaner and conditioner. The odd little mark was touched in with ''Removed at users request'' Dye and very happy with the result. The drivers seat is another story. No tears but the usual scuff marks particularly on the outside bolster. In fact pretty standard wear. The stitching is coming apart on the seat bottom, which is an easy fix, more troublesome is the piping is broken in 2 places.
Spoke to my local trimmer. He can "freshen " it. If he does it I am not to touch it other than vacuum it. Certainly not feed the leathe because the dye wont take. In his view applying dye with a sponge will give streaky mismatched finish. He would airbrush the whole seat for a uniform finish. He would mask off the inserts but would have to unpick the panels to insert new piping. Subsequent spraying would colour the stiching. Were it not for the piping issue I would probably go for spot sponge application of the dye but the broken piping is on the offside and very visible (to me anyway) with the door open. I am inclined to give the job to the trimmer and go with a full respray on the seat. What do folks think? It's in for a penny, in for a pound on this rescue now.

Hi Roger, I recently had a merc seat bolster replaced at Leather Car Seat Repairs West Midlands (link below), they were featured on a Wheeler Dealers episode when MB had some Porsche seats repaired. To replace the bolster completely on the Merc it was £150 which is not cheap but against a complete replacement skin it has to be worthwhile, I am pleased with the result (see photo). I guess there must be some upholstery places near you too, so maybe worth going that little extra to get your piping fixed, to maintain your normally high standard :wink:

Top bolster (backrest part)

ImageUntitled by Mike, on Flickr

https://leathercarseatrepairswestmidlands.com

MY98 9-5 SE 2.3 LPT
MY97 Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:01 pm 
Saab Nut

Thanks for that heads up Mike. I'll get in touch for a quote.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:08 pm 
Saab Nut

The driver's seat is a bit scruffy underneath and I want to clean it up if it's going back in my nice clean interior.. I can't really get in there with that big plastic plate in the way and I cant see how to remove it. I have marked the tab in top right that has a slot cut in it.I can turn the tab until it comes up against a raised stop but it wont drop down. I assumed the plate would drop down and unhook from the left. Anyone dismantled and can advise?
[url]Image[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:00 pm 
UKS Addict

Which plastic plate are we talking about Roger, I have just stripped two seats so I should be able to guide you here if I can determine what you are trying to do ...

MY98 9-5 SE 2.3 LPT
MY97 Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:01 pm 
UKS Addict

masonmjs wrote:
Which plastic plate are we talking about Roger, I have just stripped two seats so I should be able to guide you here if I can determine what you are trying to do ...

Is it the side plate (like the panel the memory switch assembly fits into) or the plastic strip on the top of the runner part ?

MY98 9-5 SE 2.3 LPT
MY97 Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:14 pm 
Saab Nut

It's that black square thing right in the middle of the photo. The red arrow is pointing to the rotatable tab in one corner.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:05 am 
UKS Addict

Ah sorry, I didn't spot the red tick, that's the memory CU, I will take a look at mine and get back to you, I have the rails off the seat frame so access is much easier, I'll send you a photo.

MY98 9-5 SE 2.3 LPT
MY97 Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:24 pm 
Saab Nut

Got it down.Yes, it hinges at the left amd you can see you need to twist that toggle to align with the slot. What I hadn't spotted is you need to press in the side of the plastic box to allow the bottom to drop down. I now need to remove the foam cushion. This is not easy. You need to free the wiring harness from the seat heater way back to the connector under the seat front. It involves removing some terminals from the connector cos the 8-pin connector also has terminals for the seat operation which is a separate sub harness.. There will be a short delay as I dont have the correct terminal tool but I can see where to go now.[url]Image[/url]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:34 am 
UKS Addict

I spotted the wiring issue where the seat heater part connector has other wiring from the harness that goes through the seat carriage, I just snipped off two wires from that 8-way connector to allow it to be detached from the rest of the seat wiring. I believe they are just earths and are easily spliced later on if you are re-using the seat, it's not typically your way of doing things but it gets the job done and is probably easier than fiddling about with the connector ultimately.

You seat actually looks pretty clean Roger, was it like that to begin with or is this after some cleaning already ?

The seat pads (and leathers in you case) are not too easy to remove, I only had one seat squab which had leather on, all of the rest of the cushions were just bare foam on the pair I have here. The leathers have small hooks which attach to the spring frame at around six or 8 points (need to check that) and the seat back cushion tends to stick itself to the frame at the shoulders. I'm not sure why you want to remove the cushions but if it is not strictly necessary I would leave well alone, they don't come off without a fight !

Seat squab leather attachment points : (ignore the bit to the extreme left, that's a leather glove :D )

ImageUntitled by Mike, on Flickr

MY98 9-5 SE 2.3 LPT
MY97 Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Hi Roger, I thought you might want to see more photos of the seats in pieces so I have copied the link to my Flickr album here, hopefully it will be helpful to you and others ....

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmV958ZL

MY98 9-5 SE 2.3 LPT
MY97 Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:11 pm 
Saab Nut

Thanks for that Mike. I doubt I will dismantle to the extent you have. I just want to facilitate cleaning the undercarriage. I have now dismantled the connectors from the 8 pin terminal and removed the seat cushion with its wiring intact. The chair is very mucky under the cushoin and one of the crosswires is broken. I guess a blob of weld will sort that. Not fully decided where I go from here. The seat cover is already away for a little restitching. The thing bugging me is the broken piping on one side of the back rest. Assuming I have new piping that means removing the back cover and giving it the trimmer. He will unstitch the panels, insert the piping and restitch. The piping will then need dyeing. To do that properly the cover will have to go back on to stretch then spray-the whole seat- with an airbrush. An option may be to insert one or two new panels before dyeing but not strictly necessary. I'll have to think about all this. In the meantime my rescue Aero is temporarily fitted with a full elecric driver's seat salvaged from my scrapped cde.
[url]ImagevImageImageImage[/url]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:40 pm 
Saab Nut

I have the seat frame on the bench and want to test the functions by wiring direct to a 12v battery. Under the seat is a 3 pin and 8 pin connector. It is the 3 pin that powers the seat functions. The 3 wires are red/red & white/ black (earth). I want to power the seat and test via the switch pack on the side of the seat. How to I connect to the battery, just red and black and ignore the r/w? Do I need to take any precautions such as in line fuse etc?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:38 am 
UKS Addict

Hi Roger, do you have the electrical workshop manual for this car, if not let me know and I will send you a PDF copy. The seat control module appears to have two +ve supplies, one via Fuse 25 (drivers side) and one via Fuse 7, oddly enough there is no mention of the seat motor supply in the description for this fuse. There is also a connection on the control module to a door switch (item 54) on the pillar which I believe supplies an earth when the door is open. My understanding is that the seats can be adjusted with a front door open and the ignition switch off, or with the ignition switch on and doors either open or closed.

Drivers seat :

So in your position I would try two separate ways,
Method 1 - connect +ve supply to red/wh on H3-11, pin 2 and the -ve to black wire on H3-11, 1 and then try operating the seats via the switch controls and/or the memory switches.
Method 2 - connect +ve to red H3-11, pin 3 and -ve to black H3-11, pin 1 and to H8-3, pin 8 to -ve supply to simulate the door switches.

Passenger seat :

On the passenger seat there is very little information in the wiring diagrams, there are no position sensors in the seat apparently (they are not mentioned in the description) so it seems you just move the seat with the switches until you reach the mechanical stop. I would try the same method (as above) for the passenger side but remember that the door switch connection will be coming to H8-2, pin8 (earth for relay 447 coil).

I must admit to being a little confused by the electrical diagrams for the passenger side, they mention relay 446 but there are in fact two relays (446 and 447). reading the description, relay 446 is supposed to enable movement of the seats with the ignition switch off but according to the diagram relay 446 requires both supplies, one via F26 and the other via F7, (not - as it appears to be on the diagrams). If you look at relay 447 it takes both the coil and the contact supplies from F26 so that could work independently of F7. I believe that the normal operation is via relay 446/F7 which is supplied via the ignition switch, and alternative operation is via relay 447/F26 which is directly from the battery.

MY98 9-5 SE 2.3 LPT
MY97 Merc SL500 (oops)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:35 pm 
Saab Nut

Thanks Mike. I have the correct manual with the wiring diagrams but find it hard to decipher. I felt sure someone on here must have bench tested the seat and could put me right quickly so i'm a little surprised but perhaps if anyone did it was many years back now. Anyway I have done it now. Jump the red and red/white together to +ve and obviously black to -ve. You can then operate the seat from the switch pack.
There is a Youtube video on dismantling and testing a 1994 9000 seat in which the guy tests it on the bench from a battery. Annoyingly the connections are out of frame so it was useless for me other than showing it was easy to bench test so I persevered