UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:06 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year & model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Year - Car Model - Brief description of issue. FOR EXAMPLE- ''1999 9-3 - Problems starting when hot.''

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your thread title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 12:47 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Its looking like I will be able to undertake replacement of the engine that's currently in my Aero. This is a good thing as its now on 227k and has a slightly unhealthy thirst for oil.

I have a replacement Engine from a 2003 2.0 to go in.
It was a very well cared for engine and only has 120k on the clock. The insides look like new 8)
It has been dry stored with oil down the bores since it was removed from the donor car. I also have the loom for it too, so things should be straightforward.........

I have a list in my head of things I will fit/change before it goes into my car....... anyone spot anything obvious that I have missed?

New clutch
New genuine slave cylinder
Braided clutch flexi hose
New oil pressure sensor
New timing chain oil seals
New crank oil seals
New oil pump O ring
New oil pick up O rings x3 (will be giving the sump a once over)
New oil cooler O rings? (Unsure whether to just unbolt the filter housing and leave it on the car?)
New cam cover gasket & bung
New serpentine belt (pulleys to be checked)
New exhaust manifold studs & gasket
New spark plugs
Remap to suit a 2.0 TD-04
New fuel filter
New air filter
Coolant thermostat

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9k, 2 x 9-5's & a Jaaag
Depends on how long you intend to keep it, but I'd be measuring the timing chain tensioner extension and giving consideration to replacing the timing and balance chains (plus associated paraphernalia) as you'd need to pull it again to do those later.

Also, maybe fit a new genuine Bosch CPS. What's the alternator like?

'04 9-5 Aero manual

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:10 pm 
Barrelling Along

It's going to sit in there whilst I rebuild the original engine with some b234 pistons and rods, so at least a few years :lol:
The 2.3 will be getting a new timing chain, guides and balance shaft delete.

The temporary 2.0 is one of the nicest I have ever seen the insides of - the tensioner has already been checked and its in fine fettle, the chain is taught and everything is a lovely golden yellow colour.

I may swap the CPS from my existing engine, as its only about 18 months old.

The alternator is in good condition and has approx 90k fewer miles than the one on the 2.3.

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 1:19 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate Noob Stg 1, Suzuki S Cross, '81 TR7 DHC
Did the 2.0 come with the turbo or are you using the Aero one? Either way the ECU might need looking at, if the 2.0 GT17 turbo a Noob Stage 1 will give a bit more performance and match it to the 2.0 engine, and if you use the Aero TD04 presumably it might need some map adjustment to suit the 2.0 engine anyway? Maybe get a spare T7 ECU and get Karl to look at it appropriately.

Assume the 2003 2.0 has the updated PCV kit fitted?

'03 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 9-3 2.0t SE Vert Auto
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 2:27 pm 
Barrelling Along

It came with a GT17, but I will be moving the TD-04 over.
You may note that I have already mentioned about a remap :wink:
I took the ECU from the donor car too.

I may be muddling the year the engine came from as it has the later breather system fitted. Ie with the annoyingly fragile red ring clips into the cobra.

Have added the thermostat I forgot to the list :bag:

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2021 4:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: sorted 9000 Aero; 9000R
engine mounts the same? Replace all if worn?