UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 96TT/900S Cabrio/9-3SW Aero
Apologies if this is in the wrong thread - Mods please move as appropriate. I'm looking to buy a "genuine" Tech II, so am looking for advice from current owners/users as to the one to get (primarily for my 2010 TTiD 180 SW but there are other "modern Saab" owners in the village who might like me to check things out for them).
There are several being offered on eBay and other sites - which one is the most reliable & easy to use? I guess they're all basically the same technology but are they manufactured by different companies? Many seem to come from the Far East (China). Are there any other keywords to search with apart from "Tech II" or "Tech2"?
Thanks in anticipation.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:14 am 
Active user

Car Models: Any 9-3
Hi when you say genuine Tech2 do you mean a genuine one from China.

As I recall real Tech2s were around £2500 back in the day.

I have one from overseas if you are looking info.

Regards Gary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 am 
UKS Veteran

Car Models: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
Finding a genuine GM one might be tricky and as said expensive.
I have a clone which i bought from China some years back and touch wood has been fine. Some have had some issues but can be repaired if needed.

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:24 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
I have a clone. It generally works. I’ve had it for six years. I had to do a repair last month when a capacitor burnt out. It works with PCMCIA cards. I had to replace the original a couple of years ago. But that’s all.

You can also get some software called “Global TIS” on the laptop to add extra features like “security access”. You will probably need that for a 2010 car, if you want to do more than read error codes. We have a 2010 Carlson and security access if you want to change the logic of the door locks, keys, etc.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:37 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
They can be a bit hit and miss. Mine is a clone but I got it from a reputable seller (who sadly doesn't sell them anymore, because he was decent!). My only issue in 5 years was a dodgy plug, which he swapped out. Apparently that is a common issue and a cheap fix.
I think Saabnoob Karl had to buy two to get one which worked, but he only spent about the same as I did on my one.
As for the 2010 car, we have a 2010 MY 9-3 and I use Global TIS which is available in many places, and that works perfectly. I recommend a second PCCard so that you can keep the version for your car on one and swap versions for other people. The only problems I ever have are with getting security access, but if I reflash the card that always solves them.
Have you got a laptop with a proper serial port? I had problems connecting to the PC with a USB to serial adapter, but I know others have success. I do run XP on my laptop, but there are guides to use Win7 and even 10 if you are patient.
I would say pop over to Ferndown, but the current climate prohibits that. I can certainly recommend software that works on XP if you PM me.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:54 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 96TT/900S Cabrio/9-3SW Aero
Many thanks for your responses - useful information. I've also had responses to much the same question on the SOC FB page, some of them mentioning "eSID2" if I don't want to go the whole hog with a Tech II. That can do most of the diagnostics and I can get to Tommy in Yeovil if I need anything re-programmed with Tech II.