UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat May 21, 2022 2:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year & model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Year - Car Model - Brief description of issue. FOR EXAMPLE- ''1999 9-3 - Problems starting when hot.''

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your thread title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:22 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Connected the battery, started first turn of the key, drove it home and washed off six months of accumulated barn detritus. Enjoyed the sun.

Will change the oil next weekend.

78 99 TURBO
02 9-3 Aero 'vert
04 Monaro CV8
15 Focus ST250

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:45 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-3 1.9Tid Vector Sport An.
Replaced both side light bulbs, 1 had failed, the other dim and an indicator bulb where the orange was flaking off.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:53 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
I sorted out the burnt out rear light connection on the 9-3 Carlsson.

Lack of clamping force caused the earth connection pin to melt on the right hand rear light. So I bored a hole in the bulb holder and soldered a wire to the earth network inside, then connected the new wire to the earth wire outside the holder in the loom. Hopefully only a temporary job, pending the arrival of the new holder and connector.

Pictures show the melted connector, the missing pin (only 3 of the four remain), and the repair I made.

Attachment:
IMG_4263.JPG
IMG_4263.JPG [ 92.17 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4264.JPG
IMG_4264.JPG [ 98.55 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_4273.JPG
IMG_4273.JPG [ 117.29 KiB | Viewed 474 times ]

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:28 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Last Thursday, changed the oil and filter, nothing special except that for the first time in five years the filter came out of the housing without coming to pieces. Back in October I couldn't get the same filter out at all and it did an extra six months.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:38 pm 
Saab Nut

Changed my rear discs as there was a juddering when braking. MOT tester confirmed it was the rears. I Noticed that my backing plates are shot too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:15 pm 

Car Models: Saab 93 2.0T Aero
Sanded my headlights on my 93 Aero from 800 grit through 1500, 2500, 3000, 5000 to 7000. Finished with some Meguirs headlight clarifying spray. Massive difference and worth the 2 hours rubbing!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:39 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 9000 x 3, 900 & a '75 Beetle
Watched something on youtube where they heated up some discoloured plastic trim with a heat gun and it bought it back really well - only lasts 6 months but I thought I would give it a go ...

The photos make it look like I also resprayed the doors ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:58 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 9000 x 3, 900 & a '75 Beetle
approximately 10 mins after I posted the above, I popped out to pickup some milk. Once I stopped huge amount of steam out of the edges of bonnet - The turbo is being sprayed from the block with coolant - a LOT of it. I'm thinking water return pipe, so add 3 litres of water to get me home (I love shops that stock 5 litre spring water!).

Back home, with the torch I discover it's coming out of a core plug. Not something I have spares of. Quick search online and enginecoreplugs.com has a set so order online, and they turned up today.

Radiator out, intercooler out, ac thingy out, manifold off with turbo still attached - so glad I changed all manifold bolts to copper as they are so less problematic. pop down to local motor factors for hose clips, 15w40 & antifreeze - Guess that this car hasn't had anything but water in it and this was the tiny water leak that has been baffling me for ages.

used hammer and chisel to remove old plug - changed all three at the front whilst I was there. Turbo was in excellent condition so left that as is, reassembled the lot - changed the oil & filter, filled up with antifreeze and did this all in a day - knackered but relieved I sorted it.

All this work and my dog still looks like she's judging me ...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:17 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '04 9-5 Aero est., '97 9K Aero
Sent 9-5 at 169K miles to Mann & Woodland, Hove indie, to investigate gearbox and eng. oil leaks. The box has always been a bit sooty (ooooh can I say that these days?) although now a bit damp and always with a single drip on it, but never anything on the ground beneath. I wondered whether this meant it was only leaking in motion.

The gearbox, looking toward the NSF wheel, so thats the i/board drive shaft. Oily behind it, so I reasoned the airflow blew the oil aft. The o/board drive shaft seal area has always been dry.

Attachment:
9-5 gearbox IB drive shaft leak small.jpg
9-5 gearbox IB drive shaft leak small.jpg [ 266.1 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

The oil seep is new. It has been leak-tight up to 150K miles and now gets through a litre per 6000 miles.

Attachment:
9-5 oil seep.jpg
9-5 oil seep.jpg [ 267.08 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

The distant sump bolts are wet and the stain on the sump is unlike a leaking plug. No drip beneath the plug.

I degreased the gearbox 90 miles before handing it over, to hopefully make the leak visible, but it was bone dry today. From my pics he concludes drive shaft seal. It was wet on top also, around/below where the selector rod enters the box

Attachment:
9-5 shift selector oil.jpg
9-5 shift selector oil.jpg [ 284.75 KiB | Viewed 276 times ]

Diagnosis - 1) probably the gear selector rod and i/board shaft seals, but the loss is insignificant. The gearbox oil was changed 40K miles ago, and the level is still up to the drain plug, putting that fear to rest.

2) Engine oil leak is from the rear right corner of the block, which he says is not unusual for this engine. Apparently less gasket compression in that area, because of the distance from the head bolts. The head was off 23K miles ago to extract stubborn exhaust manifold studs but he doesn't automatically attribute the seep to that.

3) For the oil loss (litre per 6K miles) he suspects the turbo (although I've never seen any smoke even when floored, at night, illuminated from behind) so I'll take my spare down so he can assess the spindle play, and I might sling that one in or perhaps get a new CHRA installed then sling it in.

Does that all seem reasonable?

4) Generally he thinks its in good shape for the mileage.

5) He thinks I'm a bit OCD.

£600 + to deal with the head gasket - I think I'll live with the seep.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:34 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
More “had done”, new front discs and pads. The left side could probably have done another 5,000 miles but a seized calliper on the right meant the outboard pad was rather thin. Had the brake fluid changed too on the basis that some would be lost in replacing the calliper.

Back brakes are good so next job will be bushes.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:19 pm 
Saab Nut

replaced the manifold / cat on my daughters aygo, it was only blowing a little bit, which is quite surprising given the metal that should have been there.
we bought a BM one for £83 with a fitting kit, and as the old one is a totoya one have been offered £80.

Attachments:
IMG_20220430_114855_939.jpg
IMG_20220430_114855_939.jpg [ 251.77 KiB | Viewed 241 times ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 9:22 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-5 SE
Washed it.

I washed it on Saturday, 'because it was filthy.
I washed it today 'because it was covered in bird droppings, I guess I picked the wrong place to park it!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:18 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Models: 9-5 Aero
Oil and filter change.
I have put in Millers CFS ester nano-tech as it wasn't eye-wateringly expensive.
I was going to do the gearbox oil, but couldn't get the fill plug off :wall: job for another day.

Fitted rainsport 5's to the rear and moved the rear wheels to the front.

Washed it as it was filthy.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:32 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9-5 2.3T Wagon, 986 Boxster
Fitted rear speakers and a Pioneer head unit to the Porsche.
MP3s - hooray!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 10:21 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '04 9-5 Aero est., '97 9K Aero
Replaced the 9-5's tailgate badge using the dental floss method. Incentive - it drew blood when I pushed the t'gate down using the palm of my hand on the badge, due to a bit of delaminated top layer.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 11:17 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
Playing with the Carlsson fuel system. Trying to eliminate the P0089 low fuel pressure warning. Fuel pressure seems fine. Pressure sensor has been changed. Currently got the fuel rail soaking in fuel system cleaner.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 8:33 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
Given the DE a service. Oil, filter, cabin filter and air filter check. Still quite clean, so didn't swap it
I had to do a set of drop links, which is a bit naff at 32,000 miles. I suppose it is down to age now, rather than mileage. Anyway, Meyles are know on, which are noticeably bigger than the factory ones. Hopefully they will last another 13 years.
I am planning on doing the drivebelt and probably gearbox oil over the summer. I think things are getting old rather than being worn out.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 2:31 pm 
Active user

Car Models: C900 T16S
Passenger window was becoming lazy so removed cleaned and lubed the mechanism and motor. The motor was the culprit, the grease was solid. Just nice to be able to strip things down and do what needs to be done.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3198 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 156, 157, 158, 159, 160