UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:04 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year & model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Year - Car Model - Brief description of issue. FOR EXAMPLE- ''1999 9-3 - Problems starting when hot.''

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your thread title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:33 am 
China Charger

Car Models: 2020 Leon Cupra S1
munchcorp wrote:
The wife's vert has passed with no advisories. I had replaced the rear discs and pads prior to the test, to ensure the tester didn't repeat the last two tests advisories of corroded but not weakened discs. It has only done 1100 miles in the last two years.
I have no video for you this time filathome. I am sorry and have expressed our collective dissatisfaction to the garage.
Sadly, it now needs to be sold.

This just isn't good enough. Can you supply some contact details for the garage so I can contact them directly. I'm sure they'll up their game then. Great news on the pass though.

98 9K 2.3
92 9k CD 18T
99 9-3 19T
00 9-5 Aero S3
96 9K Aero S3

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:41 am 
China Charger

Magrew wrote:
I have always tried to keep a decent gap between the different cars in my fleet but this year due to a new purchase and winter work on the convertible I took the very crazy decision to put three cars in for mot on the same day. :shock:

What could possibly go wrong?

So the first car presented passed, my newly purchased NG, not a clean pass though, an advisory on a rear bush. I had checked them and couldn't see any problem or hear any issue other than a knock from a badly fitted spring which I had resolved before the test. Anyway no big issue, I will now check under load and see if that identifies the issue.

The second failed, my XJ, I had replaced all the flexi brake hoses with new before the test and replaced a rear caliper because the handbrake mechanism had sheared on its pivot. There was one issue, for some reason the new banjo bolts had coarse rather then fine threads so I reused the banjos and washers. I had also replaced a track rod end. The failure was for a leak at the nearside caliper banjo. I'm guessing the reused washer didn't seat properly at the spec torque value. I nipped it up a quarter turn and retest resulted in a clean sheet.

The third one was the project convertible, this car wasn't really supposed to be in my collection, I have already sold it once and after that gentleman had a summers fun with it he returned it back to me for free!!!! I took that as a sign from the Saab gods that this car was now under my care. Anyway after a good few weeks of cutting out corrosion, welding in patches, cleaning treating and undersealing the underside. Then tackling the issue that had secured its return to me, a persistent abs warning on the dash. It required a new sensor on the nearside, for those that don't know that requires an engine bay fuse fusebox removal, and a thorough check on all other matters the car was ready for the mot. It failed!!! What? How? Only my black saloon had received more attention prior to an mot. The failure, nearside headlight not working. Phew, no big problem, just change the bulb. I wish, bulb still inoperative, it had been working the day before the mot though, had me a little baffled. I checked the fuses, all good. Then I thought maybe the fuse box removal had dislodged a wire. Multimeter across the terminals confirmed no power. I popped out the fusebox internals but all looked good. So working towards the switch, I switched around all the grey relays, no change. Then focused on the orange control relay, bingo! Problem solved. Luckily I had a spare in my 9000 bits box. Represented the car, missed my calendar date so it had another full test yesterday. A pass with 3 advisories, two for coated brake pipes, that is the fresh underseal, I never masked off the brake pipes. The other was for a fluctuating brake, this will just be because the brakes haven't been properly cleaned off since standing. Pleased with that. :D

Thanks for sharing this detailed recollection and many congratulations on the treble pass.

98 9K 2.3
92 9k CD 18T
99 9-3 19T
00 9-5 Aero S3
96 9K Aero S3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:34 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9-5 2.3T Wagon, 2.0t vert,+Noob
'vert just got failed for :
1) Excessive handbrake travel (I have no idea what is acceptable - to my mind the 9-3 handbrake always comes up too far!)
2) Central exhaust hanger bar actually detached from pipe!! Never seen THAT before! Being welded back on...
3) Airbag light....Hang on...it was fine when I left it for testing. "Yeah..odd...it was OK when we drove it into the test bay, then the tester got in and moved the seat all the way forward 'cos he's so short, and it came on..".
D'oh! Sensor plug!!

(Edit : They fiddled with the wiring, the airbag light went out, passed the test...then came on again when I collected the car....)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:35 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 2009 9-3 Convertible
Mine passed the other day no advisories.

Not bad I suppose for an oldish Saab.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:52 am 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
After some sackings at the garage after the last fiasco when they didn't provide a video, they have for this one.
https://video.citnow.com/vx_vtkbhdKN
A pass for the 9-5 saloon, with no advisories. I am getting good at this!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:53 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 9-5 aero HOT
My 95 sailed through it's MOT last month as per the year before.
Well I say sailed, to get it through emissions my man gave it a good revving whilst it was sat there in park.
Now I wish I'd said move it to neutral but hey what harm can be done right?

So about 3hours later the engine died. No compression cylinder 3.
I put it down to coincidence, but nothing kicks you in the teeth more than passing the MOT and blowing the engine on the same day.

5 weeks later and it's back on the road after a lot of hours here and there between life & starting a new job, swapping the engine out and learning that for me at least, saabs are not quite as lego as the stuff I'm used to working on. - throwing in 16mm and 18mm just to mess with me
Takes me back to my first engine swap which took a marathon 30hrs+ over two days for two guys with no knowledge at the time.
On those same cars now I can do it in 3hrs on my own. The saab both reminded and schooled me. :lol:

Now it's out of the way I have a back log of other cars needing an MOT and a "funny" story to tell my MOT man.
And it wont take as long next time...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:11 pm 
China Charger

95dave wrote:
My 95 sailed through it's MOT last month as per the year before.
Well I say sailed, to get it through emissions my man gave it a good revving whilst it was sat there in park.
Now I wish I'd said move it to neutral but hey what harm can be done right?

So about 3hours later the engine died. No compression cylinder 3.
I put it down to coincidence, but nothing kicks you in the teeth more than passing the MOT and blowing the engine on the same day.

5 weeks later and it's back on the road after a lot of hours here and there between life & starting a new job, swapping the engine out and learning that for me at least, saabs are not quite as lego as the stuff I'm used to working on. - throwing in 16mm and 18mm just to mess with me
Takes me back to my first engine swap which took a marathon 30hrs+ over two days for two guys with no knowledge at the time.
On those same cars now I can do it in 3hrs on my own. The saab both reminded and schooled me. :lol:

Now it's out of the way I have a back log of other cars needing an MOT and a "funny" story to tell my MOT man.
And it wont take as long next time...

Sailing!!!! Sounds like you're flying lad. Bravo.

munchcorp wrote:
After some sackings at the garage after the last fiasco when they didn't provide a video, they have for this one.
https://video.citnow.com/vx_vtkbhdKN
A pass for the 9-5 saloon, with no advisories. I am getting good at this!

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Congrats on the excellent video and the pass.

Ibsaab333 wrote:
Mine passed the other day no advisories.

Not bad I suppose for an oldish Saab.

There's many a good tune played on an old fiddle Sir. Well done on the MOT pass and clean sheet.

98 9K 2.3
92 9k CD 18T
99 9-3 19T
00 9-5 Aero S3
96 9K Aero S3

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 1:35 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9-5 2.3T Wagon, 2.0t vert,+Noob
Wagon got its new ticket yesterday with a couple of advisories - surface corrosion on front suspension arms and inside edge feathering on N/S/F tyre - which is, in any case, due for changing soon.
Odd wear pattern on that tyre which manages somehow to exhibit under- and over-inflation symptoms simultaneously, whilst the O/S/F is dead regular.
Time for a full alignment check when the next front boots go on, I guess! (unless it's something to do with me lighting up the traction warning when pulling on to the main drag...people come over the nearside blind crest at rather more than the posted 50mph limit rather too often)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:02 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 2005 9-5 Aero
My boxer Alfa 145 failed on rear brake imbalance, handbrake efficiency, a CV boot and some welding. Could be worse but the welding was a surprise. Rear brakes not so much, it's been standing since about November and the rear brakes aren't the best to start with on these.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '04 9-5 Aero est., '97 9K Aero
The 9000 passed with a clean sheet today. The guy said one could eat one's breakfast off it. Credit to the last owner - I haven't had to do much to it, I just continue the fastidious care.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9k, 2 x 9-5's & a Jaaag
Nearly 8 months after failing its' MOT in October last year - mostly due to a dire handbrake test result - the 9000 finally passed today. Only two advisories regarding tire wear on the inner edge of the front tyres, but I'll get the tracking checked before replacing the tyres - they're close to needing replacing anyway :-)

Seems it was mostly a case of adjusting the handbrake calliper, the Haynes advice of turn until it locks then back off 1/2 a turn is not the correct way to do it. Turn until it locks then back off until the brake disc can turn ... which may only be 1/4 of a turn!

'10 9-5 2.3T Turbo Edition

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:53 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: Saab 9-5 Aero
Mine just flew through its mot. Not even any advisories :D

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:14 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 2005 9-5 Aero
lancer778544 wrote:
My boxer Alfa 145 failed on rear brake imbalance, handbrake efficiency, a CV boot and some welding. Could be worse but the welding was a surprise. Rear brakes not so much, it's been standing since about November and the rear brakes aren't the best to start with on these.

Passed this morning. New CV boot, new brake proportioning valve and rear caliper and some welding.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 373 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19