UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:24 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year & model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Year - Car Model - Brief description of issue. FOR EXAMPLE- ''1999 9-3 - Problems starting when hot.''

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your thread title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:29 pm 
Active user

Car Models: SAAB 9-3 2006 TID LINEAR SPORT
Hi, I was changing the rear discs/pads, all was well until one of the anti rattle springs snapped flush with the caliper. I've tried copious amounts of penetrating oil, loctite freeze/release, blowtorch, can't shift the broken stubs. Is a missing spring an MOT failure?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:55 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 2007 9³ Tid vert 2000 9³ noob vert
GOOD NEWS
The hole which the spring is stuck, goes though to the other side
which is then easy to knock out with a punch.

BAD NEWS
The rear caliper is a bugger to get off (well it was for me)

Re the mot i don't know but its only a rattle/sound issue then it should pass?

Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:08 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: Saab 9-3 1.8t Vector Sport
A broken spring is a fail. Getting the caliper off shouldn't be tricky if it's just been apart.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:50 pm 
Active user

Thanks for the update, so I'll need to fix it then or it'll fail the MOT. I've got the caliper disconnected from the carrier but not from the brake line or handbrake cable and the handbrake cable looks well rusted on. I tried punching it out insitu but reckon it'll need to come entirely off so I can smack it a lot harder. I'm a bit nervous about the handbrake cable, and replacing it turning into another job.

I did find on a Renault forum someone had fixed it by just drilling a new hole right behind the old one and leaving the fused remains of the old spring in place, thoughts on this? The Laguna brake caliper looks identical to the Saab.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:11 am 
Active user

Car Models: 9-3 Airflow
If you happen to have a mig welder, you may be able to build up the remaing stub a little & remove with a pair of grips.
It's worked for me a couple of times. Being an aluminium alloy caliper, the weld won't stick to the body. The only issue is getting an earth.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:16 pm 
Active user

Well, funnily enough I've just bought myself a MIG welder, unfortunately I haven't taught myself how to use it yet. Just been out for an hour, completely failed to get the handbrake cable off the caliper, rusted solid. This is going so well.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:40 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 2007 9³ Tid vert 2000 9³ noob vert
Remember that one......
the handbrake alloy "welds" to the caliper, i had to cut the caliper in the end,
i was renewing any way.
Probably plenty of lube before hand might of helped,
but mine was stuck solid.
I hope you have more luck than me.

Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:03 pm 
Active user

Eventually had to cut the caliper, no way that was cable was coming off , rusted on solid. I got an aftermarket caller for reasonable money. It's not fitted yet but I put the slider pins in, mega tight compared to the old one. The rubber is really gripping. In the old caliper I could move them back and forth with very light figure pressure. Should I be concerned?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:29 am 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 9-3 Aero
New calipers are cheap on 9-3s, but in future you can easily remove handbrake cable by drifting out with punch from other side of its bracket. Only habit and a bit of corrosion holding it in.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 5:30 pm 
Active user

Just a thanks for all the responses I got on this, I've now got a fresh MOT. The car failed initially but not on the brakes. Major exhaust gas leak from the front part of the exhaust before the flexible pipe. I saw the pipe, is was rotten.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 4:22 pm 
T5 Cartographer

Car Models: '59 2.8 XWD '08 Diesel SW
stratfordaero wrote:
New calipers are cheap on 9-3s, but in future you can easily remove handbrake cable by drifting out with punch from other side of its bracket. Only habit and a bit of corrosion holding it in.

Easily?! I've had to cut them out too in the past, having tried absolutely everything else, for hours. I feel the OP's pain even if you don't :)