UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun May 09, 2021 7:15 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year of registration (not plate or model year) in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Registration Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:51 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: Saab 9-3 2.0t Vector 2006
I feel your pain..........my fuel needle starting jumping around as well...though this was only after bringing back alot of sand and cement in the back 2 weeks ago and then today when the front was up on ramps...so maybe the it's to do with it being heavily laden and not level....

Strangely, the temp needle is behaving.......

Anyhows, you are a brave man!

Keep us posted please...good luck!

M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:54 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 2006 9-3 Aero V6 Sportwagon
mikseymono wrote:
I feel your pain..........my fuel needle starting jumping around as well...though this was only after bringing back alot of sand and cement in the back 2 weeks ago and then today when the front was up on ramps...so maybe the it's to do with it being heavily laden and not level....

Strangely, the temp needle is behaving.......

Anyhows, you are a brave man!

Keep us posted please...good luck!

M

Ha, thanks! I've ordered 3 of the motors, didn't want to have to pay postage again.

At least I haven't put my new centre vent back in yet

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 12:51 pm 
Active user

Fail.

The pins aren't quite in the same place, neither are the locating thingies. Well that was a waste of £45 :(

I've been trawling through google images and can't find the current ones at all anywhere.

Having taken the old motors out again, they don't seem to be broken like last time and still move, which makes me think it might not be the motors this time.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:07 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

That is a shame.

Not sure where you are in the world but second hand ones on eBay or here https://www.bildelsbasen.se/en-se/pb/Se ... 0/12768229 look good. You will need a Tech2 to marry which can also transfer over your mileage as well.

TBH, I haven't found the motors at all....I am also mindful that on the back of mine they are not stamped with the same numbers. Strangely, all needles have been behaving well the last two weeks....the temp needle definetely has more resistance than the others when you spin the needle with finger and thumb but for the moment it works as it should! For the moment........... :D

Keep us posted on the next chapter...I am not too far behind you!

M

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:45 pm 
Active user

mikseymono wrote:
That is a shame.

Not sure where you are in the world but second hand ones on eBay or here https://www.bildelsbasen.se/en-se/pb/Se ... 0/12768229 look good. You will need a Tech2 to marry which can also transfer over your mileage as well.

TBH, I haven't found the motors at all....I am also mindful that on the back of mine they are not stamped with the same numbers. Strangely, all needles have been behaving well the last two weeks....the temp needle definetely has more resistance than the others when you spin the needle with finger and thumb but for the moment it works as it should! For the moment........... :D

Keep us posted on the next chapter...I am not too far behind you!

M

Yeah, there are plenty of used ones on ebay, but my worry is that they will just do the same thing eventually. That's why I was looking for new motors

I've put it all back in and the fuel gauge works, but the temp one still seems to be dead. I'd better get an obd reader I guess.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 7:49 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

True on the used ones........if you could plug in new stepper motors that would be easier...but no one seems to know what they are!
Why do you want an OBD reader? Do you have codes present?

M

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm 
Active user

mikseymono wrote:
True on the used ones........if you could plug in new stepper motors that would be easier...but no one seems to know what they are!
Why do you want an OBD reader? Do you have codes present?

M

No, but I have seen people have some that tell you your coolant temperature seeing as the temp gauge is still dead.

I'll keep looking, someone has to know what they are!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 10:46 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate Noob Stg 1, Suzuki S Cross, '81 TR7 DHC
You could get Torque Pro app for about £3 (or basic Torque is free) if you have an Android phone, and a Bluetooth ELM327 from ebay, shows almost all operating parameters.

'03 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 9-3 2.0t SE Vert Auto
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 6:14 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

TWSaab wrote:
You could get Torque Pro app for about £3 (or basic Torque is free) if you have an Android phone, and a Bluetooth ELM327 from ebay, shows almost all operating parameters.

This is what I used and it works very well.

I have been thinking more about this overnight. It strikes me that I have 5 needles that all move to some degree. The rev counter, speedo, turbo, fuel and temperature gauge. It is with the temperature gauge that is the problem one for me and it seems for others as well. Why is this and not the other needles? Is it because, once it has moved to temp it just sits there whilst the other needles are moving to some degree all the time? Unless the temp needle stepper motor is different........

M

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:07 pm 
Active user

TWSaab wrote:

Thanks, I think I'll do that

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:08 pm 
Active user

mikseymono wrote:
TWSaab wrote:

This is what I used and it works very well.

I have been thinking more about this overnight. It strikes me that I have 5 needles that all move to some degree. The rev counter, speedo, turbo, fuel and temperature gauge. It is with the temperature gauge that is the problem one for me and it seems for others as well. Why is this and not the other needles? Is it because, once it has moved to temp it just sits there whilst the other needles are moving to some degree all the time? Unless the temp needle stepper motor is different........

M

Yeah, you've got a very good point. The motors look the same from what I can tell, maybe they burn out from having to hold in the same position for long periods of time.

The fuel gauge worked a few times and now points directly up :(