UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:47 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Advert titles must follow the format: Year - Model - Location - Price. eg. "1999 9-3 SE, Glasgow, £800"

**All posts in this section require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for this to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

In an effort to reduce the size of the big orange box, full listing of rules for this section have been stickied HERE. If we notice a marked drop off in compliance with the rules the orange box will be restored.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:46 pm 
Active user

Car Models: Magical 9-5
A change in my work situation which brings with it a company car allowance forces sale of my 9-5 estate. I park on the street and don't have space for both, nor the time to keep an older car in good shape with the new work commitments and young children.

It's a tidy 2005 (55) car with several modifications including Stage 1 and related bits and bobs.

In the interests of full disclosure, the car does have a non-critical but very annoying fault that I believe I have got to the bottom of but just don't have the patience or time to fix, which if I'm being honest is a contributing factor to the decision to sell. If I had a driveway etc I'd keep it and keep plugging away but hey ho.

Essentially, when the car gets hot, the ECU thinks it's knocking and restricts power. I believe this to be the case because it has OpenSID and I can watch KnkD rise as it happens. It still goes well, it is not in limp, but it drives like a 2.0 Arc, as if some of those Trollhatten horses have been sent to sleep. This is not a problem for day to day usage, in which conditions the car is perfectly well behaved and a lovely place to be, but is quite taxing when trying to blast by Doris on a B road or drag a car full of family and luggage up a Yorkshire Dale. I firmly believe the issue is a deteriorating master engine wiring loom, particularly the earth connection to the DIC, but I haven't managed to source the right replacement and frankly family and work are eating all my time.

Here's the ad:

SAAB 9-5 Aero HOT (250), rare manual estate in Saab 297 'Smoked Biege' colour with off white interior (lovingly known as 'bleurgh-biege in Saab circles).

4 former owners, 2005 facelift car with the sought after shark-tooth front bumper and Saab 'Hammerhead' 3 spoke sports 17" wheels.

ULEZ compliant!

Comprehensive service history file an inch thick including the original paper log book with numerous stamps from the PDI at Fulham Saab in October '05 onwards, a stack of MOTs plus many other receipts and invoices from parts and works performed.

Has had all the essential 9-5 points addresed: sump drop, breather kit, polybushed front subframe and rear trailing arm bushes replaced, DIC last year and all this is documented in the history with mileage and dates. It is probably due another sump check, however I can say both me and the previous owner have only used Saab DX2 oil from Neos and have changed the oil religiously at 6k intervals, and the history contains these invoices for the parts.

Recently had an oil service and changed plugs for PFR6H-10, which helped but did not completely cure the KnkD issue; other relevant recent works include a new alternator, battery, rear ARB refurbed and poly bushed, new blower motor, aircon regas. Also has 4 nearly new Michelin PS4 tyres, full 4 wheel geo set-up and fresh front and rear brakes. MOT is due in September.

Usual Saab 9-5 equipment including self-levelling xenon headlights with washers, cruise control, dual-zone climate control, 3 stage heated front seats, electric drivers' seat, electric adjustable and heated wing mirrors, full electric windows, funky cup holder (working), front/rear fog lamps, night panel, SID, tool kit, space saver spare wheel, locking wheel nuts (with key).

This car has been modified. It has a 3" front exhaust section (make unknown but suspect Maptun), D088 intercooler and stainless charge air pipe, boost control solenoid bypass and is remapped to Stage 1 which I estimated for insurance purposes to be around 275 bhp, buthas not been Dyno'd - and includes OpenSID. This has not obviously affected the real world fuel efficiency which comes in at 28-31 mpg in mixed driving conditions.

In addition, it has a tow bar, aftermarket rear park distance sensors (which are temperamental), colour coded door handles (DIY, and showing age a bit), bluetooth phone prep and a cherry wood finish dash fascia replaces the humdrum aluminium effect factory unit, which nicely complements the interior.

The very poor factory 7-speaker audio system has been upgraded with quality Hertz loudspeakers in the front (3 in the dash and 2 in the front doors, nothing changed in the rear), which makes a huge improvement to the system. These are driven from the oringial front-loading CD/radio/cassette head unit.

Everything works as it should, except for crud in the rear wash/wipe (they all do that) and the foregoing false knock issue.

I've been using it over the last 2 months to do the London - Newcastle trip for work on a fortnightly basis, which is the change I alluded to above. It will sit at 'very generous' motoroway speeds for mile after mile no problem at all, devours A roads and shrugs off 5 hour journeys like nothing has happened. I have every confidence in the reliability of the car, the issue is more about consistency of the power delivery on demand and the confidence to deploy it at will. I am confident that a replacement loom will solve the issue (£50 in parts), but as I say I just haven't the time or facilities.

The car comes with a number of spares and extras: the original ECU with the factory standard engine map, a spare DIC and spare crank position sensor (because with a B235R engined-car, you would, wouldn't you?), the Haynes manual, a litre of oil for top-ups.

2 keys, all the original books, 4 owners, 156k miles, 275 bhp and a problem to solve. HPI clear, V5 present in my name and no finance or log book loans or any other silly stuff like that.

I'm asking £1995 with faults declared in other listings but I am of course happy to talk it over and discuss offers. It's too good to scrap but needs some love so won't be for everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:26 pm 

Car Models: 9-3 Convertible
Hi I’m interested in your car, not sure how to contact you directly on here? Or could you provide a link to if its advertised elsewhere so I can pick-up your contact details, or drop me an email jonathandbriggs@hotmail.com