UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:48 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES

For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you) eg. 1988 C900 - Will not start.

THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED FOR PLACING ''FOR SALE'' OR ''WANTED'' ADVERTS, PLEASE USE THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR SUCH POSTS.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:58 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Models: 95
I was chatting to someone at a show (way back when), when I was bemoaning the fact that my nearside wiper arm would sometimes go round 360deg and then start wiping the bonnet!

I was told that someone had fitted a classic mini wiper assembly to their car - the benefits being that it was a closed system, so the wiper arm could only go back and forth.

Does anyone know of a V4 fitted with a mini wiper system, if so, I'd really like to see some pictures!

Many thanks,
Simon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:01 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 1972 96 V4, 1987 900 T16 Cabrio (LHD)
If it went 360deg it would be back where it started !
Never had this problem on mine, is it the linkage turning over on itself or a problem with the motor ?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:48 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Is your description describing the problem correctly? At a time when it is doing it, if you take the arm off, can you see the shaft rotating continuously? I'm thinking that the spline or the fitting to the shaft is slipping and changing the arm position but picking it up again until it slips once more.
I would say post this on the other forum but you'll know it's down, AGAIN!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:53 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

I think the arm is overreaching, so I could try shortening it, to reduce it's 'throw' - it's just that when I heard someone had fitted a mini assembly, it seemed like a good solution.

The V4 site is back up and running!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:09 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: SAAB 96/MGB/Classic Twingo/Niss Figaro
Derek UK wrote:

I would say post this on the other forum but you'll know it's down, AGAIN!

The SAAB V4 site is up and running again.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:17 pm 
Saab Nut

UK_Sub wrote:
I was chatting to someone at a show (way back when), when I was bemoaning the fact that my nearside wiper arm would sometimes go round 360deg and then start wiping the bonnet!

Simon

I had this problem.
This happens when the rod running from the drivers side to the nearside "flips" over on the arm, on the nearside. The wipers then sweep 180 degrees out of sync.
Hard to explain in words.

This can happen when there's too much play in the jointed connections, and/or the short arm is coming slack on the motor end, inside the car. A sure sign of the short arm coming slack is, that the sweep of the drivers side wiper seems to change all the time, and/or the wipers won't switch off. (that's fun!)

I have had all these issues in the past, and finally nailed them, after a fair bit of investigation.
I don't know anything about Mini systems fitting. I've no idea what the Mini wiper system looks like.

Andy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:00 am 
UKSaabs Trader

I've certainly had the wipers not wanting to switch off - I had to pull the fuse in the end!

I also had them coming on by themselves - which was interesting. I did buy some clips that go over the internal arms - to stop any free play - but they were a pig to fit and I haven't tried again.

As it happens - the Sonett III has a very similar setup to the mini - ie: a long thread running inside a tube, which, if I can get hold of one, might be easier to fit.

I'll have another look at the whole thing when I next take the dash off the car.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:17 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
The long spiral thread cable inside a tube was standard on a lot of BL cars. It was on my Morris Minor, and I think it was on several others of the period. The well used ones suffered from worn cogs in the arm drive that engaged with the cable. You could get a bit more life out of it by turning the cable over.

If you want new bits there are still sources. This will be good but maybe not the cheapest.

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/52 ... r-assembly

Cheaper here:

http://www.minispares.com/search/classic/wiper.aspx

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:13 pm 
Saab Nut

Simon.
The reason that you can find yourself unable to switch off the wipers is as follows.
It's a wee bit hard to describe in words, but I'll have a go.

The wiper motor has two supply power supplies. One directly through the switch on the steering column.
The second supply goes through a switch which is mounted underneath the large wheel that spins inside the wiper box. (Acccessible beneath the plate on the wiper motor). The underside of the big wheel has a small plastic high area, that contacts the switch below. This makes the wipers self park. The self park switch is a standard Lucas item fitted to many cars. (As is the wiper motor)

If the nut on the end of the wiper spindle, inside the car, comes slack, it allows the big wheel to start ,moving up and down. When this movement reaches a cetain point, the auto park switch is no longer operated by the big wheel. Then the wipers won't stop.
Another sysmptom is the wiper sweep doesn't seem to be uniform. The wiper sometimes sweeps right off the screen on the driver's side.

Simple answer is a good locking washer AND Locktite, on the spindle nut.

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:27 pm 
Saab Nut

Your linkage is worn, never had this on any of my 96's. You can fit a later motor off a 99/900 ? and get intermittent wipe. Malbrads have done this on the rally cars.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:22 pm 
Saab Nut

sgould wrote:
The long spiral thread cable inside a tube was standard on a lot of BL cars. It was on my Morris Minor, and I think it was on several others of the period. The well used ones suffered from worn cogs in the arm drive that engaged with the cable. You could get a bit more life out of it by turning the cable over.

If you want new bits there are still sources. This will be good but maybe not the cheapest.

https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/52 ... r-assembly

Cheaper here:

http://www.minispares.com/search/classic/wiper.aspx

The 96 wiper system doesn't however, use the spiral thread cable system. I know the system, my MGB has it.

The 96 system is basically an open link arm between drivers side, and passenger side.
A V shaped finger arrangement on the driver's side, the motor drives one side of the V in a back and forward motion, a link across to the driver's side where it connects to a single finger, which drives the passenger side wiper.
The link has to be connected from the top of the V, on the driver's side, to the top of the finger on the passenger side.
If the link manages to flip over, so to say, on the passenger side, then the wiper will try and wipe the bonnet, instead of the windscreen!