UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:09 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES

For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you) eg. 1988 C900 - Will not start.

THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED FOR PLACING ''FOR SALE'' OR ''WANTED'' ADVERTS, PLEASE USE THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR SUCH POSTS.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:47 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 1972 99L 2 door
I'm currently restoring the underside of my 72' Saab 99 2 door and have peeled / chipped / wire brushed off all of the underseal. Not too bad a job and not too bad a condition underneath considering the car's age and that it probably hasn't been stored in a garage for much of its life.

I do have some rust holes to make good with fresh steel and one of them is a hole that has appeared at the top of the passenger side rear spring 'turret'.

The rust here has developed in the seam between the 'turret' (or whatever its called) and the inner wheel arch which, on the other side is inside the boot space.

The repair will need the soundproofing material removing from the inside of the boot to be able to cut out and weld fresh steel in which is no problem but, what I can't seem to find is - what is the soundproofing material?

It looks and feels like the self adhesive bitumen material that the likes of dynamat sell but, it has a grey leatherette textured vinyl face to it to match the boot floor vinyl carpet.

Has anyone found a source for this stuff or anything close? I don't really want to put smooth black pads back in and paint them but, they do look a bit rough and one side will have a square missing once I've finished.

Attachments:
spring turret rust hole.jpg
spring turret rust hole.jpg [ 194.17 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
spring turret rust hole2.jpg
spring turret rust hole2.jpg [ 128.52 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]
spring turret rust hole3.jpg
spring turret rust hole3.jpg [ 143.28 KiB | Viewed 204 times ]