UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 23, 2022 7:38 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES

For Workshop questions, please include registration year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you) eg. 1988 C900 - Will not start.

THIS FORUM IS NOT TO BE USED FOR PLACING ''FOR SALE'' OR ''WANTED'' ADVERTS, PLEASE USE THE CLASSIFIEDS FOR SUCH POSTS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 8:55 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 900i
Hi all,

can anyone tell me if this is correct on my throttle body, there is what i can explain as two vacuum outlets side by side and they are just coupled together as in the image.

is this correct? or should they be routed else ware?

Gaz.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:27 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 1993 T16S convertible
Attachment:
c900_vacuum_diagram.jpg
c900_vacuum_diagram.jpg [ 113.73 KiB | Viewed 295 times ]
I can't work out from your photo what weirdness is going on around your throttle body, but......
This is a picture that was posted ages ago - lifted from SaabCentral. Don't know who posted it, but thanks to whoever it was, as it's been an absolute Godsend to me, and should show you what should go where!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:03 pm 
Active user

David Wilson wrote:
Attachment:
c900_vacuum_diagram.jpg
I can't work out from your photo what weirdness is going on around your throttle body, but......
This is a picture that was posted ages ago - lifted from SaabCentral. Don't know who posted it, but thanks to whoever it was, as it's been an absolute Godsend to me, and should show you what should go where!

Hi David, thank you very much for this but sadly the image is for a 16V set up and a different type of fuel injection as to what is in my 8V car.

Still open to suggestions though.

Gaz.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:30 pm 
Active user

Car Models: 1993 T16S convertible
Aah....
I didn't think they'd be different!
(I can't find an 8V version anywhere.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:29 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

I think the vacuum connections were for an EGR system on other markets. What's been done to blank them off should be fine. Originally I think there would have been a rubber block fitted over them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:35 pm 
Active user

99 Pete wrote:
I think the vacuum connections were for an EGR system on other markets. What's been done to blank them off should be fine. Originally I think there would have been a rubber block fitted over them.

Still a little baffled over this and have googled many images as i can find of 8V engine bays and even individual throttle bodies but the only thing that i have found close to mine with the two outlets is an Australian spec throttle body??

I suppose it'll be one of those mysteries but thank you for your answer.

Gaz

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:35 pm 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 900i 1984 and 1986 (now sold)
99 Pete wrote:

The EGR system was fitted to UK cars. Not sure about other markets. I had a 900i 1984 and 1986 - both had EGR.

What you have is not standard. The EGR connection has been in effect blanked off by some tube. Its unclear what has been done at the other end at the intake manifold. The fuel pipes are also not standard. I see from another post you had a problem with a rough tick over. That may be related to the EGR, or could be caused by something else.

People who make modifications do so at their own peril. I would keep it as standard, or put it back to as stock.

The non turbo 8v cars don't normally have fuel issues if you keep them as stock. At least that is my experience over 30+ years.

I cannot see the benefit of removing the EGR connections. They are there for emission purposes. Those who want better performance, should buy a turbo model, not mess with what is known to work.

Here are some photos off my 1986 which shows how the pipes should be. Sold my 1986 last year, don't own a C900 now.

Suggest you get hold of online copies of the Saab Service manuals. Bentley is OK, but is abridged version of the manuals. You need sections 2.3 1981-93 and 2.4 1981-86.

Attachments:
IMG_0441.jpg
IMG_0441.jpg [ 63.94 KiB | Viewed 91 times ]
IMG_0474.jpg
IMG_0474.jpg [ 72.36 KiB | Viewed 91 times ]
IMG_0417.jpg
IMG_0417.jpg [ 71.6 KiB | Viewed 91 times ]

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 11:26 pm 
Active user

Hi Ricky,

thank you for the detailed reply. This makes a lot of sense and i understand it now.
The thermo vacuum switch is still on the inlet manifold and taking a better look at it, i can now see that one of the pipe unions has been snapped off, probably hence why a past owner has blanked off the throttle body connections and done away with the vacuum pipe.

The rest of the EGR set up is still on the engine, it looks like i may have to come up with a solution of bonding a vacuum pipe connection to the thermo vacuum switch on the manifold as i cannot seem to find new ones, probably no longer available unless someone has any?

A comment on another post of mine mentioned the wrong fuel lines, that was me. The plastic original over inlet manifold lines were decidedly very fragile and i was concerned of failure and fire risk, original spec are no longer available so i purchased these alternatives direct from Sabbits.

Gaz.

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 6:16 am 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 900i 1984 and 1986 (now sold)
In my experience the fuel pipes don't normally fail. They normally out live the life of the vehicle. They look fragile because they are made of some sort of plastic material. There is no need to replace them unless inadvertently damaged/broken whilst working on the engine.

I have a spare set of all the plastic fuel lines, which I don't need now, but you have probably kept the originals. I don't think I have a spare vacuum pipe. I got rid of a lot of stuff early this year while de-cluttering my loft.

You might find a pipe from someone breaking an 8v for spares, or you could put a wanted advert in the classified section of this forum.

I've lots of new and used parts.

Link to C900 service manuals:
https://www.saabnet.com/tsn/faq/manuals/C900.html