UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:33 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:07 pm 
Luger Lout

Car Models: Estella. 2007 Manual 9-5 LPT
I just appened to be on the Eastern side of one of the great English rivers today. Sitting in a car park, having a brew and sending a leak repair job off.

Chap pulls up next to me, he has a surf board strapped to his roof.. 8)

Hmm. This might be worth watching I thought.

He got out and got the board off and disappeared onto the river.

Brew was finished and job was duly sent off, I got out to see what was appening!

He was padding his board down/across the river to the other side. COOL!!

Another chap also watched this, he told me that the "surfer" couldn't get to work (no trains) so, he just paddled across the river.

We both thought that there might be more to the tale. Car park in question is quite a long way from anywhere on the "other side" Be fair, the other side is quite a long way from the car park! The nearest bridge is probably more than 10 miles away...

It reminded me of something else odd.

Years ago when I worked in London, there was a big burst water pipe on the North Circular. M1 was shut.. Bloke was doing his ironing on the hard shoulder..
Has any body else got odd railstrike tales?

I realise heaps of people will have suffered because of the strike. I wanted to try to cheer things up a bit.

Smile! Done Lots!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:16 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-5 SE
I don't want to sound too smug, but I drive to work anyway, and I didn't notice anything even slightly different, at all what so ever.
The usual selection of technically incompetent drivers, brain donors, inconsiderate types, and people who revel in driving as slowly as possible, causing tailbacks and frayed nerves.
Seriously, 20mph in a 60 limit, driving up the centre of the road so nobody could overtake. They were flashed at and tooted at, they're either completely oblivious to the world around them, or just total scumbags.

So yeah, just another Tuesday.

On the other hand, no suicidal and/or misbehaving cyclists today, so that was an unexpected bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:26 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: Some C900s
Drove to work in the c900 , 35 miles east down the m4 to Windsor, exactly the same as normal, even saw a couple of trains at Datchet train station. All the shops open, all well. Odd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:28 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
When I commuted by car into London, I reckoned that the roads had less traffic during a train or tube strike. Most train commuters worked from home, or stayed up in town, and a proportion of drivers expected jams and stayed home too.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:43 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
Traveling to Sheffield on Monday was fairly normal. No real difference in the traffic.
Tuesday was a different story. Everybody in the Manchester area seemed to all be on the M60. Queues started well before they normally do, it was a proper pain. Weirdly, once off the motorway everything was normal.

Work have a big do in London tonight. I am not going because I am a bit too new. Work have booked rail tickets and hotels for everyone tonight. Thankfully everyone from the office who is going is on the train and on their way. However, return tickets are for tomorrow.
Work have done two things, which I thought was over and above:
1. Booked a coach for anyone who needs to go back on Thursday.
2. Offered a second night in the hotel to anyone who wants to stay and go back on Friday on the train.
I am seriously impressed and rather wished I had gone for an extra day in London. I think my colleagues are working in the London office but having a meal out together on Thursday. Very civilised.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:00 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-5 SE
Agreed!

I usually reckon our lot doing well if we have loo roll in all the toilets!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 7:16 am 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 9-5 2.3t
And on the flip side, it took me just 3.5 hours to drive to Liverpool and due to no trains, had to come back by coach, just over 11 hours...
A long journey for a gig.
But the music was good
Paul