UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:35 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:38 pm 
T5 Cartographer

Car Models: '59 2.8 XWD '08 Diesel SW
saabhead wrote:
Too true and most of it is down to people coming over to the UK with no driving licence/insurance because they don't give a :cen: about the UK and it's laws.

Less of the xenophobic anti-immigration stereotyping please

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:42 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: GSXR1000 K2,CBTwo Fifty,OG Aero vert gone
Jules_ht wrote:
saabhead wrote:
Too true and most of it is down to people coming over to the UK with no driving licence/insurance because they don't give a :cen: about the UK and it's laws.

Less of the xenophobic anti-immigration stereotyping please

Thank you Jules.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 1:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9-5 2.3T Wagon, 2.0t vert,+Noob
If there's one thing we have an ample supply of on the shelves, it's stupid drivers. No imports required.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:27 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: '94 9000 CSE
Quote:
Not Cornwall, perhaps? Driving is a joy in winter there. Not in summer.

No, Dorset.
Different county, same seasonal driving experiences though.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 7:44 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Models: 9-5 9-3SSx2 Sonett T16S 9000
santeras wrote:
Quote:
Not Cornwall, perhaps? Driving is a joy in winter there. Not in summer.

No, Dorset.
Different county, same seasonal driving experiences though.

Ah, yes. We have just moved from Ferndown. I don't miss the miles of queuing traffic in the summer and a road system which was totally inadequate twenty years ago when I moved there, let alone now.
The locals are pig ignorant too, from my experience. I can't remember the last time I used my horn in Chorley. It became an almost daily occurrence in Dorset.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:02 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: '94 9000 CSE
Quote:
The locals are pig ignorant too, from my experience.

Only some of them, which could be said for anyplace, anywhere. It didn't help that you lived next to the main artery through the county.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Whilst not wanting to sound xenophobic, one must remember that few visitors will know the little courtesies expected of fellow UK drivers. For example it is generally accepted that a vehicle descending a hill gives way to one ascending. There are many such little things that make driving acceptably comfortable but to expect a visitor to know them all is plainly unrealistic. Just think about some of the things you do while driving and you will soon realise that people are not being ill mannered, they are simply unaware of what constitutes good manners.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:13 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 1991 900 T16S Convertible & 2007 9-5 Aero
GeoffR wrote:
For example it is generally accepted that a vehicle descending a hill gives way to one ascending.

That's not just a UK thing. I used to spend a lot of time in the Indian Himalaya and the local drivers would constantly complain about the people from the plains not following this rule and causing huge gridlocks on tiny roads - much like the emmets & grockles do in the tiny lanes of the South-West. This problem gets worse every year as it seems that as car sizes grow, drivers think the required distance from the hedge has to increase proportionately. The rule is "If your wing mirror's not in the hedge, you're not even trying!" :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:57 am 
UKS Addict

beinghuman wrote:
The rule is "If your wing mirror's not in the hedge, you're not even trying!" :)

It's why I have to T-cut the nearsides of my cars so often Lots of brambles and sloes around here - great for gin- and jam-making, but not so much for paintwork.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:20 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-5 Griffin 3.0 V6
GeoffR wrote:
For example it is generally accepted that a vehicle descending a hill gives way to one ascending.

It's the law in Switzerland :) I wonder how many visitors know…

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:23 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-5 Griffin 3.0 V6
munchcorp wrote:
GeoffR wrote:
The problem I encounter most often is drivers who don't know how to use a slip road, they don't accelerate and then have to slow down further to join the traffic on the motorway, expecting others to make room for them. If there are to be changes to the driving test joining a motorway correctly should be included, as indeed should driving on a motorway.

I have seen so many slip road incidents recently and nearly been part of an accident. From my experience the volume of traffic on the motorway has led to many. There is no space for people to enter the motorway and no space for those in lane 1 to move to lane 2. I have regularly seen lorries stand on the brakes as someone has forced their way on well below motorway speed. I have also nearly been involved when another driver decided to leave the slip road over the chevrons without looking where I was.

I think part of the problem is that cars, even lorries, don't keep sufficient distance from the vehicle in front of them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:09 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: GSXR1000 K2,CBTwo Fifty,OG Aero vert gone
saman wrote:
munchcorp wrote:
GeoffR wrote:
The problem I encounter most often is drivers who don't know how to use a slip road, they don't accelerate and then have to slow down further to join the traffic on the motorway, expecting others to make room for them. If there are to be changes to the driving test joining a motorway correctly should be included, as indeed should driving on a motorway.

I have seen so many slip road incidents recently and nearly been part of an accident. From my experience the volume of traffic on the motorway has led to many. There is no space for people to enter the motorway and no space for those in lane 1 to move to lane 2. I have regularly seen lorries stand on the brakes as someone has forced their way on well below motorway speed. I have also nearly been involved when another driver decided to leave the slip road over the chevrons without looking where I was.

I think part of the problem is that cars, even lorries, don't keep sufficient distance from the vehicle in front of them.

I agree with you all on this one.

There should be a Motorway driving element in the test.

Joining a Motorway is problematic when it is busy. Whilst every effort should be made by those on the Motorway to accommodate joiners in the end those joining have to give way even if it means stopping to wait to join. Of course this would not be as great a problem if everyone abided by the Highway Code as saman suggests and Motorway drivers anticipated the junction and eased back even more. Unfortunately there is an element of "he is not getting in front of me syndrome" as sadly some drivers see those accelerating to join Motorways as an act of aggression.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate Noob Stg 1, Suzuki S Cross, '81 TR7 DHC
I thought they had now added a motorway element to the Driving Test?

I agree with the 'not getting out in front of me' syndrome. If I see a car coming down the slip road who is likely to join in about the space I will be at I ease off to allow it. Why some have to try and race and block off you I really don't know.

'03 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 9-3 2.0t SE Vert Auto
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:17 pm 
UKS Addict

The other side of the sliproad problem is when you are trying to use one to join a slow lane that is, to all intents and purposes, a continuous wall of HGVS all appearing to be attempting to save fuel by slipstreaming (q.v.) resulting in having to slow to wait for a gap and risking a shunt from behind.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:52 pm 
T5 Cartographer

Car Models: '59 2.8 XWD '08 Diesel SW
The easiest way to join a motorway is to be going ever so marginally faster than the traffic already on it. Then realistically all you have to do is pick a gap (and there always is one, no driver is that close that the isn't room) and make sure you don't rear end anyone.

Hitting the motorway at 40 because some idiot in front of you doesn't know what is going on and dawdled down the ramp is just awkward for everyone.

I don't sit behind such drivers unless I'm towing, and will happily zoom past letting them cause their own chaos for themselves, and everyone both behind them and on the motorway, and never think of them again.

When I am towing I normally see them in advance, in their grandad mobiles, and stay well back so I've got some chance of hitting the bottom of the slip road somewhere near 60. In many years of towing a caravan, I've never ever not once had trouble joining a motorway other then when the prat in front doesn't know what his right foot is for.

So it's idiots getting to the bottom of the ramp at anything below 55 that I'm putting in room 101.