UKS Addict

Car Model: SAAB 9-5 Aero - MY2000
Simon's funeral is set for Friday 18th September at 12:40 to be held at:

Nab Wood Crematorium
Bingley Road
Shipley
West Yorkshire
BD18 4BG

The funeral is open to all who would like to attend and once again Linda said how much the support and well wishing from the SAAB community has helped them.

While the family will make a formal procession to the Crematorium, Linda has asked if we could assemble a few SAABs to follow on behind. I think we can oblige :wink:

I'll know a little more about when and where we should meet up to get in a little nearer the time. I think all the SAABers who attend the funeral would no doubt like to be in the SAAB part of the procession, so I think it's probably more pertinent to see how many we have on the day and glean from Linda what seems a suitable number. Since we'll all be driving onto the Crematorium, I reckon it should be okay if we all just pile in behind. I'll give the folks at the Crematorium a bell to ascertain parking arrangements, but do be aware that it is off a busy main road where parking is not permitted. We may need to simply find some parking on one of the side roads and walk across - I'll find out.

There is a wake on the Thursday evening from 7 o'clock in the evening at their house - again, all are invited. I wonder how we can deal with the logistics of handing the address out. I don't think it's a good idea to show it here on a public forum and if I offer to hand out by PM my mailbox is going to collapse. Any ideas? Perhaps we should start a list and I can simply PM those on the list a day or two beforehand? Let's do that.

It's very possible that their house will become quite full, so as discussed below we might slide out for a beer at Simon's old local if that's the right thing to do on the evening.

We will also be raising a glass to the fellow and marking his passing at the monthly West Yorkshire SAAB Enthusiasts gathering at the end of the month - think of this as a kind of late wake for his SAAB friends. For details, see: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=46746

One last thing, David Morgan over on SAAB Central posted this very fitting picture:

Last edited by Orca on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Right, before i set the wheels in motion for time off etc, is it asking too much for you wyse chaps to change the date of your monthly meet? Ie could it not be on the night of the 17th? Then who ever is coming down from north or indeed up from the south could meet up with you all for a curry and then go to bonzo's funeral before heading home. Just a thought , what do you reckon?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:14 pm 
Active user

Personally I like this idea .. I'll fly over and can participate in your monthly night out ..

Simon will be with us ..

And the following day ... be there to honour his having driven off without us.......

David.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:46 pm 
UKS Addict

To be perfectly honest, I think we'll all be there on the Thursday night before the funeral anyway. We'll keep our monthly meeting to the normal day at the end of the month - folks need to plan their shift patterns and others who don't read this forum know to turn up on the last Tuesday.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people visiting on the Thursday, so we SAABers can always make some space and pop down to his old local if that's the right thing to do on the night ... and bob on the road for a curry before turning in.

It certainly sounds like there'll be a number of folks travelling some distance. I'll be there on the Thursday - who else from our local bunch can make it that evening?

Last edited by Orca on Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:50 pm 
Saab Nut

Aye lad count me in.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 pm 
UKS Addict

Orca wrote:
To be perfectly honest, I think we'll all be there on the Thursday night before the funeral anyway. We'll keep our monthly meeting to the normal day at the end of the month - folks need to plan their shift patterns and others who don't read this forum know to turn up on the last Tuesday so we'll have the wake as an extra gathering.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people visiting on the Thursday, so we can always make some space and pop down to his old local if that's the right thing to do on the night.

It certainly sounds like there'll be a number of folks travelling some distance. I'll be there on the Thursday - who else from our local bunch can make it that evening?

I agree Paul, this way our monthly meet will occur after the funeral and instead of being worried/sad/nervous about attending a good freinds funeral the next day and spending the time trying to work out who will be where when, we can relax and enjoy a pint and a curry in Simons memory, as I'm sure he would have wanted us to.

I will try and attend the wake, more details later would be appreciated. I will definitely attend the funeral in the C900 and would of course be honoured to form part of a procession for Bonzos last earthly journey if that is what Linda would like.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:12 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

I'll be there of course both on 17th and 18th. Happy to either attend in the blue thing, maybe provide a lift for one or two or be lifted myself. Whatever fits.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:49 pm 
Site Admin

Car Model: Most of them!
There will be 2 or 3 coming down from the Aberdeen area in a c900 of some sort, for the Thursday evening do and to say cheerio to Simon. Lee will confirm the number when he knows, which will leave a space or two if anybody needs picking up on the way down.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:20 pm 
UKS Addict

If at all possible, I would like to go to this, but would have to rely on cadging a lift from some one. If you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay, could I recommend ETAP at bradford £32 for an en-suite room. i've stayed in several of their hotels, and have always found them to be clean and reasonable, if somewhat sparse, but well worth remembering about.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:22 pm 
UKS Addict

no no no Kenneth, fingers crossed mrs kinkersaab will be able to secure a deal with the Hilton in Bradford or Leeds...... :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:27 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3 Turbo X / 9-3 Convertible
There will be some coming across from Lancashire too....I have a couple of spare seats going in the oil burner....Steve is going to send a mail round the LSOC boys and see who wants to join us.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:28 pm 
Coffee Addict

Car Model: MY01 Gaylander
I would also like to attend Simons funeral if its ok.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:11 am 
UKS Addict

Grumpy1 wrote:
If at all possible, I would like to go to this, but would have to rely on cadging a lift from some one. If you are looking for somewhere cheap to stay, could I recommend ETAP at bradford £32 for an en-suite room. i've stayed in several of their hotels, and have always found them to be clean and reasonable, if somewhat sparse, but well worth remembering about.

The ETAP hotel is on the A650 which is between Bradford and Shipley - very accessible for Shipley:
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-636 ... ndex.shtml

There's also an IBIS actually in Shipley:
http://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel-315 ... ndex.shtml

... and a little more upmarket is The Bankfield Hotel, the other side of Shipley:
http://www.ramadajarvis.co.uk/hotels/br ... 4wod7SIAKw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:17 pm 
UKS Addict

I've updated the post at the top regarding the wake - it is open for all who would like to attend. I don't want to be showing a private address on a public forum, so please add yourselves to this list if you're coming and I can get a PM to you a day, or so, beforehand so you know where to go that evening.

1. Orca & Mrs Orca - Paul & Debo
... 1000. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:46 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900 T16s X2
I don't think i can make the wake unfortunately, but am trying to sort out making it for the funeral.
On that note, if anyone from Luton northwards needs picked up on the way, i'm happy to do that for a share of the petrol (will be taking the uneconomical c900 as it seems fitting though. Or happy to be transported by someone else on their way up?

G

Ex NG 9-5, c900 vert, 9K track car, 93 9K Aero

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:37 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

I have been trying to wriggle out of things at work but have been unable to do so, much to my regret.

However, if someone is starting a collection for the charity selected by Simon's family, I will donate the sum I would have spent on petrol to get from home to Shipley and back - not the same thing as attending by any means, but a tribute nonetheless, I would hope.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:33 pm 
UKS Addict

Orca wrote:
I've updated the post at the top regarding the wake - it is open for all who would like to attend. I don't want to be showing a private address on a public forum, so please add yourselves to this list if you're coming and I can get a PM to you a day, or so, beforehand so you know where to go that evening.

2. BigBadAl
... 1000. :wink:

Mods, any chance this could be a sticky until the funeral please?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:04 pm 
Put a SOC in it!

Car Model: One or two...
Work is a mare at the mo so not sure I will be able to get there on friday, but will be doing my utmost.

96V4s

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:46 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

2. BigBadAl
3. Rolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Nick and I will be traveling down on the thurs afternoon for the wake and staying in Leeds and then going to the funeral on the friday. Will be taking either Nicks green c900 or my c900 vert....weather depending........

2. BigBadAl
3. Rolf
4. kinkersaab
5. Tfatc