UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:16 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:56 pm 

Car Models: 9-3 Aero Sportwagon 2.8T
Hello all

Just to advise that I have applied the Maptun stage 1 remap... and to tell you:

(1) how easy it was to do (watching a YouTube video or two gave me a lot of confidence);
(2) that I also changed/upgraded the air filter at the same time to the Maptun 9-3 sport B207 filter (again, comforted by YouTube tuition); and
(3) (if I may) to praise the UK distributors of Maptun, Neo Brothers of Waltham Cross and Nicholas there in particular for not only answering all my queries and giving me very useful practical advice but also for the immediate despatch of the package to me: I went from bog standard to Maptuned in under 24 hours!

I can report that there are no apparent issues. Performance is very smooth with excellent acceleration from 40 mph through to motorway speeds. I will be interested to see whether my fuel economy changes very much now that there is a chance to do more long runs.

Fred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:26 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 9-3 2.8 V6 Saloon and Vert!
Nice work.
I’ve got a Maptun on mine.
The stage 1 feels even better if you knock the cat out of the front exhaust.
Pain to get the exhaust on and off , but it you’ve got a day handy...

They do prefer super unleaded, but will easily adapt to 95 (marginally less grunt)
So much better than standard that runs out of puff too early

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:27 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Models: 9-3 V6 Sportwagon Hirsch
Can anyone comment on Hirsch vs Maptun stage 1?
I've recently purchased a 2008 2.8t which had the Hirsch from new. I was going to go down the Maptun route but obviously it saved me some money so didn't bother. I'm very tempted to purchase a spare ECU and get both tho!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
Hirsch will be a bit less powerful. Their tune could be applied to a new car before sale, so it has to comply with emissions regulations. It also has to keep heat low enough for the tune to be applied in the tropics. And it had to survive the Saab three year guarantee.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:41 pm 
UKS Addict

gtaft1981 wrote:
Can anyone comment on Hirsch vs Maptun stage 1?
I've recently purchased a 2008 2.8t which had the Hirsch from new. I was going to go down the Maptun route but obviously it saved me some money so didn't bother. I'm very tempted to purchase a spare ECU and get both tho!

Yes I can...
I had a Hirsch map and decided to change to Maptun.
Bhp is similar but there is at least 10% more torque with Maptun.
You’re not going to wet yourself with excitement over the difference, but it pulls harder for longer.

Would I do it now? Back when these cars were £5k+ probably, but I’d probably not upgrade to Maptun now if you’re already got a Hirsch map, ends up being 25%+ of the car...

As mentioned earlier, knock the front cat out, it will be beneficial on the Hirsch too. You can feel it and the turbo needle goes deeper into the red

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 am 

paolo wrote:
Nice work.

They do prefer super unleaded, but will easily adapt to 95 (marginally less grunt)

Thanks for that!

I'm minded to save up my pennies and go with a Maptun exhaust mid downpipe. I would be worrying about getting through the emissions test otherwise.

I had a new error code (cleared with the Maptuner) of P0299 [turbo underboost] but I think that may be caused by my heavy foot driving with kickdown. Certainly no recurrence and still plenty of poke to be had.

Fred

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 pm 
UKS Addict

fred the red wrote:
paolo wrote:
Nice work.

Thanks for that!

I'm minded to save up my pennies and go with a Maptun exhaust mid downpipe. I would be worrying about getting through the emissions test otherwise.

I had a new error code (cleared with the Maptuner) of P0299 [turbo underboost] but I think that may be caused by my heavy foot driving with kickdown. Certainly no recurrence and still plenty of poke to be had.

Fred

I would not bother with the Maptun pipe. You’ve correctly described it as the mid downpipe. The real bottle neck on any car is the actual downpipe this is what you want to change out.
The 3 inch plus pipes are mainly decat anyway as the cat here is only the pre cat. I’ve run without one for a good 5 years. Just use a spacer for the front lambda sensor or you’ll get a check engine light.

Re your underboost code, is swap out the boost control valve, less than £30 and 5 mins to change.
When they go wrong over time, you either get under boost or wild over boost.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 am 

Thanks for your suggestions Paolo and I will report back in due course when any further work gets done.

Fred