UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:16 am

All times are UTC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 pm
Posts: 10
Car Models: 9-3 Aero Sportwagon 2.8T
Hello all

Just to advise that I have applied the Maptun stage 1 remap... and to tell you:

(1) how easy it was to do (watching a YouTube video or two gave me a lot of confidence);
(2) that I also changed/upgraded the air filter at the same time to the Maptun 9-3 sport B207 filter (again, comforted by YouTube tuition); and
(3) (if I may) to praise the UK distributors of Maptun, Neo Brothers of Waltham Cross and Nicholas there in particular for not only answering all my queries and giving me very useful practical advice but also for the immediate despatch of the package to me: I went from bog standard to Maptuned in under 24 hours!

I can report that there are no apparent issues. Performance is very smooth with excellent acceleration from 40 mph through to motorway speeds. I will be interested to see whether my fuel economy changes very much now that there is a chance to do more long runs.

Fred


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:26 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 9:11 pm
Posts: 2241
Location: Down Sarf'
Car Models: 9-3 2.8 V6 Saloon and Vert!
Nice work.
I’ve got a Maptun on mine.
The stage 1 feels even better if you knock the cat out of the front exhaust.
Pain to get the exhaust on and off , but it you’ve got a day handy...

They do prefer super unleaded, but will easily adapt to 95 (marginally less grunt)
So much better than standard that runs out of puff too early

_________________
Ex:9-5DE tid,Aero stg3,Hirsch Aero, Aero,2.3 Airflow Stg1, 2.0 Stg5 & 9-3 HOT, c900 Aero, '71 99


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:27 pm 
Offline
Light Pressure Turbo

Joined: Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:05 pm
Posts: 326
Location: West Oxfordshire
Car Models: 9-3 V6 Sportwagon Hirsch
Can anyone comment on Hirsch vs Maptun stage 1?
I've recently purchased a 2008 2.8t which had the Hirsch from new. I was going to go down the Maptun route but obviously it saved me some money so didn't bother. I'm very tempted to purchase a spare ECU and get both tho!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:51 pm 
Offline
UKS Encyclopædia G-M
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 41724
Location: SW Herts
Car Models: 2007 9-5 Aero est. 300hp Hirsch. 9-3 2010 9-3 Carlsson
Hirsch will be a bit less powerful. Their tune could be applied to a new car before sale, so it has to comply with emissions regulations. It also has to keep heat low enough for the tune to be applied in the tropics. And it had to survive the Saab three year guarantee.

_________________
.
.
.
.
Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:41 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 9:11 pm
Posts: 2241
Location: Down Sarf'
Car Models: 9-3 2.8 V6 Saloon and Vert!
gtaft1981 wrote:
Can anyone comment on Hirsch vs Maptun stage 1?
I've recently purchased a 2008 2.8t which had the Hirsch from new. I was going to go down the Maptun route but obviously it saved me some money so didn't bother. I'm very tempted to purchase a spare ECU and get both tho!

Yes I can...
I had a Hirsch map and decided to change to Maptun.
Bhp is similar but there is at least 10% more torque with Maptun.
You’re not going to wet yourself with excitement over the difference, but it pulls harder for longer.

Would I do it now? Back when these cars were £5k+ probably, but I’d probably not upgrade to Maptun now if you’re already got a Hirsch map, ends up being 25%+ of the car...

As mentioned earlier, knock the front cat out, it will be beneficial on the Hirsch too. You can feel it and the turbo needle goes deeper into the red

_________________
Ex:9-5DE tid,Aero stg3,Hirsch Aero, Aero,2.3 Airflow Stg1, 2.0 Stg5 & 9-3 HOT, c900 Aero, '71 99


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 pm
Posts: 10
Car Models: 9-3 Aero Sportwagon 2.8T
paolo wrote:
Nice work.
I’ve got a Maptun on mine.
The stage 1 feels even better if you knock the cat out of the front exhaust.
Pain to get the exhaust on and off , but it you’ve got a day handy...

They do prefer super unleaded, but will easily adapt to 95 (marginally less grunt)
So much better than standard that runs out of puff too early


Thanks for that!

I'm minded to save up my pennies and go with a Maptun exhaust mid downpipe. I would be worrying about getting through the emissions test otherwise.

I had a new error code (cleared with the Maptuner) of P0299 [turbo underboost] but I think that may be caused by my heavy foot driving with kickdown. Certainly no recurrence and still plenty of poke to be had.

Fred


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:46 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 9:11 pm
Posts: 2241
Location: Down Sarf'
Car Models: 9-3 2.8 V6 Saloon and Vert!
fred the red wrote:
paolo wrote:
Nice work.
I’ve got a Maptun on mine.
The stage 1 feels even better if you knock the cat out of the front exhaust.
Pain to get the exhaust on and off , but it you’ve got a day handy...

They do prefer super unleaded, but will easily adapt to 95 (marginally less grunt)
So much better than standard that runs out of puff too early


Thanks for that!

I'm minded to save up my pennies and go with a Maptun exhaust mid downpipe. I would be worrying about getting through the emissions test otherwise.

I had a new error code (cleared with the Maptuner) of P0299 [turbo underboost] but I think that may be caused by my heavy foot driving with kickdown. Certainly no recurrence and still plenty of poke to be had.

Fred

I would not bother with the Maptun pipe. You’ve correctly described it as the mid downpipe. The real bottle neck on any car is the actual downpipe this is what you want to change out.
The 3 inch plus pipes are mainly decat anyway as the cat here is only the pre cat. I’ve run without one for a good 5 years. Just use a spacer for the front lambda sensor or you’ll get a check engine light.


Re your underboost code, is swap out the boost control valve, less than £30 and 5 mins to change.
When they go wrong over time, you either get under boost or wild over boost.

_________________
Ex:9-5DE tid,Aero stg3,Hirsch Aero, Aero,2.3 Airflow Stg1, 2.0 Stg5 & 9-3 HOT, c900 Aero, '71 99


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:26 pm
Posts: 10
Car Models: 9-3 Aero Sportwagon 2.8T
Thanks for your suggestions Paolo and I will report back in due course when any further work gets done.

Fred


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB