UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:12 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the post subject/thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

For Tech II issues or help requests please state the following in your title ''Tech 2 help required - state issue and your location ''.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum, note compliant threads will be moved back when the mod/admin team next visit the Pit Lane. if your thread has been sat in the Pit Lane for 24hrs+ after editing, pm Tech II to request release)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:54 pm 

Car Models: Saab 9-3
Hi all - my first post and apologies that it is to ask for help. I have had this car for six years with no problems except an alternator failure - it now has 90K miles (1.8 base model)

Background.

The car battery was not strong enough to start the car after it had been sat unused for three weeks because of Covid.

Recharged the battery for 24 hours and then got the Steering lock malfunction message. The car wont start - key wont turn at all from the lock position.

Researched on here and the wider net.

Tried removing and replacing fuses 1 and 2, Tried disconnecting and reconnecting battery. locking and unlocking the car to reset - numerous times and all to no avail.

Removed and then replaced the same Key ignition module - made no difference.

Removed it again - took it apart and cleaned the contacts. Same error message but two changes - firstly the driving lights came on when the battery was reconnected and the Steering message was followed by key not recognised.

I had noticed over the weeks prior to covid that occasionally the key would sometimes and occasionally stick in the start position and not spring back to on, and so wondered if that somehow had damaged the key ignition module.

So got a used key ignition module unit from ebay. Fitted that and still get the same Steering malfunction display but now the lights are no longer turning on and the key not recognised message is not happening.

The battery is showing 12.8 V at the moment so recognising that is down on ideal. I have tried the battery from our BMW Mini which is good on that but I got the same message. Also tried connecting the Mini battery and the Saab battery in parallel but still the same steering malfunction message.

So I hoping for some advice on where to go next please - invest in a new battery or accept that likely the steering lock is malfunctioned?? Are there any other things that I can do to try to test or resolve what is faulty and fix. Thanks in advance for any replies.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 8:34 am 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 2008 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; 1971 VW Beetle 1300; 2013 VW Shuttle (T5) WAV
This needs the code read by a TECH II diagnostic machine. Some of us have these, although Lockdown makes things more difficult. There is a chance that resetting the error on a Tech II might help but if not it will narrow down exactly what the fault is and the Workshop Information System (WIS) will give instructions on how to resolve the reported fault. Most Tech II users have that installed on a laptop with the Electronic Parts Catalogue (EPC) and The security software, GlobalTIS or TIS2000.

WIS and EPC can be downloaded, I forget where from though.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
1971 (K) VW Beetle 1300
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:32 am 
Active user

Car Models: 9-3 Aero 2.0T 2007
sorry, i've no experience of a Tech II. But when you say: "Steering lock malfunction message" does it say just that and you then have to get a TECH II machine to read the exact alphanumeric error code - rather than use an OBD type reader). That is very poor. I hope I don't get the same error ( note to self, keep an eye on battery ).
So is the solution to get your car trailered to a Tech II location.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:01 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

hinged_bap wrote:
sorry, i've no experience of a Tech II. But when you say: "Steering lock malfunction message" does it say just that and you then have to get a TECH II machine to read the exact alphanumeric error code - rather than use an OBD type reader). That is very poor. I hope I don't get the same error ( note to self, keep an eye on battery ).

OBD readers can get the fault codes, but Tech II will provide a more detailed diagnosis.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 6:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: 2008 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; 1971 VW Beetle 1300; 2013 VW Shuttle (T5) WAV
Mr Burrrrt wrote:
hinged_bap wrote:

OBD readers can get the fault codes, but Tech II will provide a more detailed diagnosis.
Yes, this. The Tech II will provide information that the user can then use to find the correct repair or test procedure to further narrow it down if needed.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
1971 (K) VW Beetle 1300
2013(63) VW T5

Last edited by TwyRob on Tue May 05, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:36 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Models: E2 & The Old Tart
TwyRob wrote:
WIS and EPC can be downloaded, I forget where from though.

Could try the links shown here:
http://saabworld.net/showthread.php?t=33310

There's this, too...
https://saabwisonline.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 6:35 am 
Active user

Car Models: Saab 9-3 Aero
Just a quick one on the battery.
If it’s still under warranty might be able to get it changed for free. The older owner of mine got a new battery 3 years ago from ECP. The warranty was about to expire so I went and changed it for free. I just told them it was playing up. Changed it without a quibble.

Interesting you say 3 weeks your car was parked up. Last year I parked mine up for the same time and a similar thing happened. Ended up jump starting from a transit van, RAC jump pack wouldn’t work!!!
Once it got going had ABS fault, TCS etc. Went for a 30 min drive and was ok after but it certainly didn’t like it.
This time I have driven twice a week just to make sure.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:38 pm 

Car Models: Saab 9-3
Thank you for everyone's input.

I am thinking I need to find someone who has the correct Tech11 gear to read/cancel the codes and then go from there.

I cant jump start the car, because the key will not turn from the off position whilst it still has the steering lock malfunction error message. So it seems I cant get the car to a garage unless it is trailered.

I am in Northumberland, to the north of Newcastle. Does anyone know someone who may have Tech11 close to me that I can get in contact with?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:17 pm 
Arkwright.

Car Models: 1984 99GL, 1992 C900 XS, Jaguar XF Sportbrake, FIAT 500 TwinAir
Dave123 wrote:
I am in Northumberland, to the north of Newcastle. Does anyone know someone who may have Tech11 close to me that I can get in contact with?

Checkout the thread at the top of the page.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=126762

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:01 am 

Car Models: 9-3 1.8t Convertible
I have a 9-3 2005 1.8t vector convertible and have experienced the SCL malfunction several times, always after the car has been unused for a lengthy period. We go to Spain twice a year for at least two months at a time and every time I return and 'un-SORN' my SAAB I get the SCL fault. I have tried leaving the car with the battery disconnected, with the battery connected and on constant charge, but the SCL message is always there to greet me on my return. As long as my SAAB is driven regularly the SCL behaves normally. I have a GM USB interface unit bought off eBay which works on my SAAB and OPCOM software on my laptop which can interrogate all the various control units on my car. The DTC I get when the SCL fault arises is B1000-36 and clearing this fault in both the immobiliser and CIM units solves the problem and allows me to start my car.

To carry out the above procedure it is necessary to switch ON the ignition and SAAB make this difficult by preventing the key being turned when the SCL fault occurs. To overcome this problem, I remove the passenger side panel from the centre console to get access to the underside of the ISM. I made up a tool from stiff steel wire shaped so that I can insert it in the slot where the spring and pin locking the key is located so it can be pushed back and allow the key to turn to the ON position. A good torch is needed to see the pin/spring location but with practice I usually get my ignition ON in around five minutes. Having a spare ISM to look at before trying this procedure helps.

I'm beginning to suspect that this SCL problem occurs if SAAB 9-3 cars are not driven reasonably regularly (i.e. generate wheel sensor signals). Perhaps, the car's logic decides to disable the car if it has not been driven for several weeks. A friend has a 2008 9-3 convertible and experienced the 'SCL Malfunction' message twice during the COVID19 lockdown period when his car was unused for several weeks at a time. Before that he never had this problem.