UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:14 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

For full on restorations and major projects only.

Please start your project threads in ''Your Cars''. If you feel your project falls within the criteria of a Major Restoration or Project please contact a member of the Admin/Mod team. If deemed suitable it will then be moved from ''Your Cars'' to this forum. This forum is now closed to direct entries, anyone can post on threads that are already present and those moved into this forum, but they cannot start a new thread.

Post subject: My 1974 Saab EMS
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:42 am 
Active user

Car Model: SAAB 99 EMS
Hello All.

Some years ago, I started a project, which has languished, wrapped up beneath a tarpaulin, for some six years!

Locally to me, just south of Norwich, in 2004, I found a 1974 Saab 99 EMS. This immediately replaced any ideas of a 1978 turbo. I sold that project. It was just too far gone for me. I even had a spare turbo, which really was worse and which I broke down. I wish I knew then what I know now! Anyway, the EMS wasn't running (probably due to the injectors). I towed it home and set it aside. It required an MoT it was not going to pass. Even though it was in generally good shape but did require some welding.

The vinyl roof covering had leaked along the seems and caused the roof to corrode at both corners of the windscreen. Oddly, the off-side was more corroded than the near side. The front wing (inner and outer) was bad. The n/s rear corner has required some welding close to the fuel-filler pipe (which has been removed, along with the tank). The previous owner, a small garage, had repaired patches with filler and resin, and painted the lower section, below the swage-line in a Toyota metallic blue, making it two-tone, but of course, masking a lot of fiddly little repairs.

Unable to afford a genuine piece of equipment, I built my own car-chassis rotisserie, on which the car has stood ever since! To take advantage of the sunny weather (and now the COVID-19 lock-down), I decided it is time to get going again. Hurray!

Finally, over the last ten days or so, since before our PM issued his instructions and fell ill, I have brave enough to tackle some difficult corners for of MIG-welding. I still need to get the right tools for dressing the welds in tight corners, a mini-belt-sander of such like. The floor still requires some attention. Where the roof leaked, the floor has suffered. The jacking points are bad.

You may gather, form my comments, that I have mixed feelings about the vinyl roof. I'd posted some info about my car, in the past. I asked the question then; "vinyl or no!". the response was overwhelmingly, "Vinyl!" I'm still not so sure, given what it did. Also, I do think the manufacture's original promotional image of the early SAAB EMS, which a painted roof, looks so classy. And, as you read you'll really hate this remark, the two-tone effect, with the green-glass of the EMS, looked quite good. Hence, If I must have vinyl, I might go two-tone as well – it's become part of the story of the car. It how I found it.

Anyway, I'll find some photographs and post them up to the forum. Also, I am no expert. I'll have many, many questions to ask. I've little money but lots of time. I've most of the home-workshop tools I could ever want. Professional tools would be great, of course. One day, perhaps. I wish my project to be a bit of fun.

SAAB 900 GLs Auto & 99 GL 5sp (1983, Cherry Red), SAAB 99 EMS (1974, Sterling Silver).

Post subject: Re: My 1974 Saab EMS
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:04 am 
Active user

My car, in the sunshine, on it's rotisserie… 

SAAB 900 GLs Auto & 99 GL 5sp (1983, Cherry Red), SAAB 99 EMS (1974, Sterling Silver).

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:47 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab 99 Turbo
Good morning James, I’m looking forward to this one! No pics coming through and I’m not the one to ask as I struggle myself with that.

Where are you based? It sounds like your EMS was found not far from my place nr Saxmundham. Also in Suffolk you’ll find Ollie Cox who is restoring his EMS...

Peter

Black 99GL 2 door
Black 99GL 4 door

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:17 pm 
Active user

Images…? :wall:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jXvs7eJ34giANCJz6

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:02 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 99 EMS 1976
Hi James,

It’s Olly Cox here. I think we may have met before at a car show but I can’t remember which one. My Dad has the 76 EMS in Silver which you would of seen at the show. I’m glad you’ve got back on the car and it’ll be good to see it progress. I have bought a 1977 EMS which is currently undergoing restoration. There was some welding required which I have now completed and it is almost ready for a respray. We are based near Woodbridge in Suffolk.

Speak soon.

61 9-3 Griffin Aero TTID4 Saloon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:04 pm 
Active user

99EMS1976 wrote:
Hi James,

It’s Olly Cox here. I think we may have met before at a car show but I can’t remember which one. My Dad has the 76 EMS in Silver which you would of seen at the show. I’m glad you’ve got back on the car and it’ll be good to see it progress. I have bought a 1977 EMS which is currently undergoing restoration. There was some welding required which I have now completed and it is almost ready for a respray. We are based near Woodbridge in Suffolk.

Speak soon.

Hi Olly, yes, I wonder. Perhaps you were at a car show in Bury St. Edmunds? I do remember seeing another early EMS.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:58 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 99 EMS 1976
Yes it would of been the Cars On The Green show, that’s it. Yeah my Dads is a 1976 model so a couple of years newer than yours.

61 9-3 Griffin Aero TTID4 Saloon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:23 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1974 Silver 2dr 99 EMS
Hi James,

I saw a picture of yours on it's spit on Twitter or Instagram recently.

Fantastic to hear of another EMS showing it's face.
I had a 74 EMS until recently and it now resides in Scotland with another 99 enthusiast, I'm sure Ian will comment on this thread at some point.

Please keep us updated with progress as and when possible. Anything 99 interests me, but especially when it's EMS related.

This was mine:

Attachment:
45342205_714114695625192_5088157234840469504_n.jpg
45342205_714114695625192_5088157234840469504_n.jpg [ 87.02 KiB | Viewed 1062 times ]

Will

1981 99 Turbo 2dr
1983 99 2dr parts
1983 99 2dr parts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:43 am 
Active user

madwelshman wrote:
Hi James,

I saw a picture of yours on it's spit on Twitter or Instagram recently.

Fantastic to hear of another EMS showing it's face.
I had a 74 EMS until recently and it now resides in Scotland with another 99 enthusiast, I'm sure Ian will comment on this thread at some point.

Please keep us updated with progress as and when possible. Anything 99 interests me, but especially when it's EMS related.

This was mine:

Attachment:
45342205_714114695625192_5088157234840469504_n.jpg

Will

Hi Will, yes, great to talk with you on twitter. The car looks lovely. Thought a spotted a post form the person who bought it, too. Mine is very similar, except it is in many parts, right now! As soon as the metal work is done, I can start to piece it back together. Can't wait – looking for more sunshine. It's much easier to get the work done!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:53 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 99 T16 project
Really looking forward to more updates on this!
I bought Will's 1974 EMS from him, and I'm relatively new to this vintage of 99s so will be following with great interest.
Ian

1970 2dr 99
1962 96

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:47 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL C900 Jag XF & FIAT500
Looking forward to progress reports on this one.

By far my favourite incarnation of the 99 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 9:49 pm 
Active user

Hello all, a quick update…

Suspension components, rear axle, wishbones, etc., are all descaled and painted, as are most of the brake components zinc-plated or painted.

All the rust-holes have been patched, except one, a large hole on the wing. This I need to do carefully as it will show through the paintwork.

Almost all of the rust-holes were in the floor, a consequence of the original vinyl-roof covering disintegrating. It holed the roof panel in four places where the stitching meets the front and rear screens. The carpet must have got quite wet at some point.

Purchasing some old Motor-magazines reviewing the SAAB EMS, I see people were not so complimentary, and the B&W photos looks rather dull. I've decided the car looks much more elegant without the UK-spec. vinyl, so I'll not be replacing it.

The rest of the car, typical of many 99s / 90s (except the 3-door turbo era of 1978), was relatively rust-free. Only surface rust elsewhere which has been easy to treat with a touch of Jenolite. Even inside, where the paint is thinner, is relatively okay.

Someone on eBay bought a pair of head-rest inserts of the right colour, which I wanted. I have two more, but without the correct dark-brown fabric. I don't want to recover the seats, if I can avoid it, so… any suggestions where to get matching fabric?

Next warm-spell, I'll try to rejuvenate the paintwork with a quick respray. I had difficulty finding a paint supplier with the SK1 "sterling silver" code on their data-base. Eventually, I found "Nick's Paints" near Lowestoft had the code SK01, a very good match.

Slowly, I'm going through the shed, rediscovering all the lost pieces I set aside when I first disassembled the car. I've lost an interior door latch! In fact, I melted it, with a mis-placed welding spark. Has any got another of these, please?

Lastly, it would be really nice to be to place photos onto the forum, once again. Any chances of this, please, administrators? It very hard to explain questions, lost and broken pieces, without an image to explain the location.

It's been good lock-down project so far, a pity it has taken a lock-down to get on with it!

Stay safe, stay well.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 6:50 am 
Arkwright.

Nice to get an update, looking forward to the pictures.

Details on posting images here. https://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25623

If you want the site to host them you will more than likely have to resize them.

As for the parts wanted, please post your items wanted within the classifieds, you will get better response.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:48 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1992 900i, 1984 T16S “Snufkin”
Espin99 wrote:
If you want the site to host them you will more than likely have to resize them.

I take a pic with the iPhone then email it to myself as a small or medium size pic so I can attach the pic to whatever I am posting. Blinking faff not being able to use normal size pics, but hey ho, it works :D

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 9:50 am 
Arkwright.

Dr Rock wrote:
Espin99 wrote:

I take a pic with the iPhone then email it to myself as a small or medium size pic so I can attach the pic to whatever I am posting. Blinking faff not being able to use normal size pics, but hey ho, it works :D

Limiting image sizes saves on the hosting costs, many forget site hosting is not free but posting on it is :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:30 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 99L, 9000cse, 9-5s and a Panda
Dr Rock wrote:
Espin99 wrote:

I have an app called (unimaginatively) Reduce Photo Size on my (android) phone. It's free, errm, basic and does what it's supposed to. I only use it to resize photos to upload the UKS from my phone.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:09 am 
Arkwright.

DeeDub8 wrote:
Dr Rock wrote:
Espin99 wrote:

I have an app called (unimaginatively) Reduce Photo Size on my (android) phone. It's free, errm, basic and does what it's supposed to. I only use it to resize photos to upload the UKS from my phone.

Well worth sharing that app on the thread that I linked above in ''Forum Rules, Announcements, FAQ, Forum Admin Questions & Suggestions''.

Rather than take over this thread, no need to respond on this thread :wink:

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 12:13 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Hi James, great progress you've made, nice one.

Just a quick note regarding the paint, SK01 will stand out like a sore thumb if you're planning on trying to blend bits in, rather than a full respray of areas. I know from personal experience, so please be aware of this.
With or without the vinyl roof is personal choice, personally I prefer with and it's original to the cars spec. But, the main thing is, another EMS has been saved and received some love, so from that point of view, good on you.
I can't help with the head rest insert material I'm afraid, I didn't have any spare of that when i had mine, only the later red.
As for the interior door latch, I 'may' have one, but until the restrictions on travelling are lifted here in Wales, I'm unable to get to my lockup to check I'm afraid.

Will

1981 99 Turbo 2dr
1983 99 2dr parts
1983 99 2dr parts

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 10:48 am 
Active user

madwelshman wrote:
Hi James, great progress you've made, nice one.

Just a quick note regarding the paint, SK01 will stand out like a sore thumb if you're planning on trying to blend bits in, rather than a full respray of areas. I know from personal experience, so please be aware of this.
With or without the vinyl roof is personal choice, personally I prefer with and it's original to the cars spec. But, the main thing is, another EMS has been saved and received some love, so from that point of view, good on you.
I can't help with the head rest insert material I'm afraid, I didn't have any spare of that when i had mine, only the later red.
As for the interior door latch, I 'may' have one, but until the restrictions on travelling are lifted here in Wales, I'm unable to get to my lockup to check I'm afraid.

Will

Hi Will,

Thanks for the encouragement.

SK01 has been a good match, honest – although I'll concede it is a little difficult to tell against the old paint which is so stained and yellowed. It look disgusting by comparison. I expect the car lived under oily rags in a garage in Suffolk from 1990 to 2004.

I'm no expert at painting but I'll try to redo the lot. Where I have cleaned it up, it looks great, even with an unpolished 'gun-finish'.

Someone has resisted the headrests but may be asking a lot for them. With the resto. underway, I have other priorities – like finishing it!

Still think the car looks most elegant with a silver roof, at least the earliest ones. The slightly later 118bhp EMS, with the front chin-spoiler seems to suit the vinyl roof. Besides, if I go for a paint finish, I can always add a vinyl covering a later stage. A bit more tricky the other way around.

Yes please, to a latch – or I may even try to make one (or two) out of a piece of hardwood!

James.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 8:16 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Hi James,

I'm just pleased to see yet another 99 EMS arise and get some TLC. Good on you, sounds like you've got a good plan in your head and are making great headway towards that final goal.

I found on mine, that SK01 was noticeably different and did stand out. If it seems a pretty good match for yours. A, that's good news. B, I wonder if it has had paint previously (other than the Toyota colour)?

I get what you're saying regarding the vinyl roof and we're all different and have different tastes, which is good. For me, it's I personally prefer with the vinyl and because the UK spec EMS had vinyl fitted at the dealerships anyway, so was standard to them.
Like I said previously, your car, your preference and I respect that. The front spoiler wasn't fitted as standard until the 1st 1/4 of 1976, so none of the D-Jetronic cars had them as standard.

Good luck with the head rests, I hope you manage to source some, or at least some of the material.

Re door release handle/catch, we're still under lockdown at the moment, but I will have a look down the lockup as soon as I can.

Keep up the good work. Really looking forward to seeing it when it's ready for the road and hopefully in some Saab events at a later date.

Will 8)

1981 99 Turbo 2dr
1983 99 2dr parts
1983 99 2dr parts