UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:42 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Advert titles must follow the format: Wanted - Model - Location. eg. "Wanted 9-3 LPT, Glasgow"

In an effort to reduce the size of the big orange box, full listing of rules for this section have been stickied HERE. If we notice a marked drop off in compliance with the rules the orange box will be restored.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:27 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 96 V4, 9-3
Somebody has written my wife's car off AGAIN. :roll: Roughly 5 years ago we bought a 9000 for £350 and within a month a girl wrote it off and we got a £1200 pay off. We bought a 9-3 vert for something like £900 and after 4 years ish ago a woman wrote it off and we got about £1300, cannot remember exactly. I bought a £350 Citroen that died after 5 months so we bought a Ford Focus for £550. Tonight a woman drove down the side of it. Insurers say it will be written off. I am hoping to get about £1000 for it. We are being provided a hire car thankfully but here we go again. We need a reliable car desperately within a week or two until the claim is settled. I can raise £1500 so if anyone knows of something decent for that let me know. Needs nearly a years MOT and I am reluctant to get an old SAAB as you are reliant on the local SAAB independents and financing their lifestyles and mark ups!

MY wife doesn't care what she drives so just putting this out if you know of anything. Yaris, Focus etc etc before dodgy trades put a mark up on it...

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 7:11 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 900 96 drop top
Pug 306 with the 1.9 engine for about £500

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 8:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: E2 & The Old Tart
Only paid a little over a grand for our C3 and it's been a a good little runabout. Avoid the 16v engines (expensive if the HG goes) and they are fairly plentiful at this budget.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:18 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 97 9000 Aero 2.3T
Zagato wrote:
Somebody has written my wife's car off AGAIN. :roll: Roughly 5 years ago we bought a 9000 for £350 and within a month a girl wrote it off and we got a £1200 pay off. We bought a 9-3 vert for something like £900 and after 4 years ish ago a woman wrote it off and we got about £1300, cannot remember exactly. I bought a £350 Citroen that died after 5 months so we bought a Ford Focus for £550. Tonight a woman drove down the side of it. Insurers say it will be written off. I am hoping to get about £1000 for it. We are being provided a hire car thankfully but here we go again. We need a reliable car desperately within a week or two until the claim is settled. I can raise £1500 so if anyone knows of something decent for that let me know. Needs nearly a years MOT and I am reluctant to get an old SAAB as you are reliant on the local SAAB independents and financing their lifestyles and mark ups!

MY wife doesn't care what she drives so just putting this out if you know of anything. Yaris, Focus etc etc before dodgy trades put a mark up on it...

Thanks.

Wasnt in Reading was it ?.
I only ask as we saw a lady earlier next to a Focus that had the whole side stoved in next to Reading Uni. She was crying and clearly really shaken up.
Looked like a hit and run as there was no other car..

In terms of a replacement, i can highly recommend a Vauxhall Astra series H. Which is what my wife has.
hers is a 1.8, in Elite trim. Which is very nice. All heated leather, lots of gadgets, high end Opera sound system. Its really reliable and economical at 37mpg average. (town driving).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:47 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
Paul Taylor wrote:
I only ask as we saw a lady earlier next to a Focus that had the whole side stoved in next to Reading Uni. She was crying and clearly really shaken up.

Was she on her own? did you stop to see if she was ok..

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 97 9000 Aero 2.3T
Ian78 wrote:
Paul Taylor wrote:

Was she on her own? did you stop to see if she was ok..

There were already a few people with her at the point when we passed.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
Ah ok, great, these days people are so busy they just drive on by.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:25 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Thanks for the offer Devon Dogg BUT.... and I cannot believe I am saying this... we are very likely to buy a 2018 Aygo for about 8K with 1500 - 3000 miles. It is for my wife, she has put up with my old bangers all her life. She suffers from arthritis badly but can manage a manual Aygo. It will be her car, I can pay for half of it and we can finance the rest for £65 a month and we will own it in no time. So cheap to run also. My daughter is 15 so will be driving soon so it is perfect for that. We both drove one this evening, really surprised by the ride, handling and power for 1.0 shopping trolley. I thought it would be a terrible gutless, crashy hard ride, i am still used to 80's -90's cars. No boot space but enough for wifey and room enough for me in the rear so son will be OK.

We will hire a car twice a year for a week for holidays for £150 each holiday which is less than running a bigger car and less hassle of ownership, especially when it gets trashed being full of mud and sand. We hired last year! I still don,t need a car :D no more messing about with old cars apart from my old SAAB :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:43 am 
UKSaabs Trader

So have slept on it... 8K on an Aygo... forget that :shock: :lol: back looking for a Yaris or similar for £1500 :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:26 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
I have a friend who bought a new Aygo when she retired (some 6 years ago so an older version). When I went in it it was like riding in a hard plastic box, which I may have mentioned to her. She changed it for a new Yaris quite quickly and has since changed that for a hybrid Yaris (about 2 years ago) and is quite happy with them. She is not a fast driver by any means (sometimes irritatingly slow for an ex police superintendent) but does often drive from RTW to Corfe where they have a cottage and finds it comfortable and economical. I have not asked about any of the hybrid technicalities or advantages as she would not have a clue what I was talking about.

'03 Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Vert
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:36 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
Driven a 2013 Aygo. Horrible.
Bought a 2011 IQ. Lovely...if sedate

2016 Smart 900 turbo
2009 Lexus GS450h

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:01 pm 
UKS Addict

My lad has a 2010 Pug 107 (Peugeot equivalent of the Aygo) It's the "Allure" model, so lots of bells and whistles.

Goes well albeit quite a harsh go-kart like ride around town. Get it on the open road though, and frankly it's a smashing little thing, I was shocked at just how well it went, even on a motorway. Being a three cylinder the engine note takes some getting used to, like a lawnmower on amphetamines! :shock:

Cheap on parts, easy to work on, goes well and good on fuel. Quite fancy one myself as a little run around. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:41 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
lovely jubbley https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-BMW-523 ... _Auction=1
aygos are fine but not 8k go wash your brain out
if idiots round here didnt like kicking wing mirrors off nice cars shed be outside here in a week or so

a mate has a 107 he likes it its reliable not exactly lookers are they

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:11 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Thanks for the comments, yes Aygo not great but new one is surprisingly good BUT too small, no boot for a family of four so have been looking at the Yaris. Budget of 9K but with 0% finance on a new one we are going to go for that. We will keep it for years and get the value out of it and it is perfect for my wife as driving is getting to be a challenge these days!! Fed up with old cars, not interested in new ones as you can tell with a Yaris :lol: keep it cheap, reliable, practical and hassle free. We can get eight years out of it easy as I did with the SAABs.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:20 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Discovered that a complete new model is coming out in the spring!! But may have to wait until September for delivery so may need a car until then so this thread is still relevant if anyone has anything SAAB included. A convertible doesn't really work for us however.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:15 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Hunt over. Bought Ford Fusion for £750 off Ford mechanic :D that will do until new Yaris delivery dates. I should be excited but how can you be with a Yaris. Could have a lot of nice SAABs for that money :cry:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 5:46 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; '71 VW Beetle
The 2020 Yaris looks OK, especially in GR-4 spec!

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
1971 (K) VW Beetle 1300
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:29 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Yeah just want a small reliable 4 door for the wife/family. A lot of money to own on a car your not interested in but all modern cars boor me, they are all kitchen appliances, I was born in the wrong era, just imagine going into a SAAB dealership and buying a 96 or 99, 900,9000 8) Anything after that is boring territory again .Toyota seems best of bunch taking away VW Polo, (won't go near VW!) and Honda Jazz, too expensive and look crap! Really not into Fiats at all, can't stand new Mini,s won,t go near nasty Citroen/Peugeot/Ford even though they have shared parts so it's a Toyota, with a good reputation as a reliable, safe tool. Keep it 10 years, works out at £1400 a year max. Happy with that... should be 5 years hassle free motoring for a change, I will put it on the lift straight away for clear coat underseal, engine bay etc etc :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 pm 

Car Model: Saab 9-5 2.0t
Zagato wrote:

Thanks.

Keep saving up your insurance payout profits and you'll soon have a nice car :)
Sorry if that was too flippant :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:21 am 

Car Model: 9-5 aero shooting break
Morning,

I have a 2002 Aero estate for sale for £1350? :)

Auto
Xenon
service history
MOT till Nov
A lot spent on it recently out of personal choice

Attachments:
$_86.jpg
$_86.jpg [ 195.25 KiB | Viewed 348 times ]