UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:58 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:21 am 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Linear Sport Estate Auto
I noticed a fairly significant oil leak a week or so ago so took the car to Robert Holden’s on Thursday.

The leak turned out to be a loose banjo on the gearbox oil cooler so was fairly easy (and fairly cheaply :D ) fixed.

Whilst looking around underneath we also noticed the front crankshaft oil seal was weeping. As the belt is due for replacement on the annual service in July I decided that RH could do the seal, belt and pulley then, the pulley has oil showing on it’s front face so may be compromised by the oil leak.

Which brings me to the point of this post.

Looking online for a pulley I find the available in a price range starting around £35 (that one with a five year warranty?) up to a staggering £173!

I obviously want to buy one that isn’t going to fall apart five miles down the road but don’t want to pay silly money if I don’t have to. I have seen this situation now with all sorts of parts and it really does leave us all in a total quandary.

How the heck do we choose? :(

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:27 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
Why not just clean up the pulley and refit?

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Hi bpetersb. I got your PM and will send a quote later this weekend but I think in your position I would re-use the original pulley. I wouldn't think a bit of oil on the face would compromise the rubber that much and being original, it will be of known quality.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Choosing parts is difficult and becoming harder. I’m taking the view that recommendations on various forums are a good guide, but risk is also worth taking into consideration, as is the cost of labour in replacing.

I would be reasonably happy to fit a cheap part, if it isn’t safety related and easy to change.

On the other hand, I would look to something more proven if it’s a pain to change, or safety related. There would be positives in using Orio parts obtained and fitted under the “parts for life” assertion in these instances.

But, unfortunately, some of the Orio pricing is so unworldly that even “parts for life” is uneconomic. The last time I looked, the price of a set of six Bosch coils for the 2.8 V6 from Orio was around £800! The same coils from a trusted supplier can be had for under £300. And DIY in about 2 hrs max.

So parts can be obtained from premium manufacturers at reasonable prices, but it takes a bit of research. Speed of supply is also important if the part can only be checked and assessed once the car is in pieces. A week from Sweden is not always acceptable.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:51 am 
Saab Nut

Mike9000Aero wrote:
Why not just clean up the pulley and refit?

That would be great but I was under the impression that these pulleys fail anyway with sometimes horrible consequences. Knowing my luck that would be half way to Greece in September or on the way back in December!

I would be very happy to be corrected if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:17 am 
UKS Addict

Hi Peter
I am on 217,000 miles at present - 05 Aero. Thought I had a weep from the oil seal - took the pulley off and all good and have left alone for now. I am not aware it is a common problem?

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 2:57 pm 
Saab Nut

I thought I started this thread in the Coffee Bar, not sure how it got to Workshop. Next time I won’t put the model and year in the title.

The point I was trying to make was how do we, as owners/drivers of older cars know what to choose when we need a part? Where pattern parts are available how do we decide if they are any good? A wrong choice could in effect write-off a car when you are looking at some of the market values we are dealing with.

My 9-5 is coming up to 14 years old, I still rely on it to get me around all year and to Greece and back at least once possibly twice a year, so reliability and confidence are very important to me. Having said that I don’t wish to pay two or three times the price for a genuine part if the same item is available for much less.

AAAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:31 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
I guess it depends, really ... e.g. ball joints I go for TRW which are OEM. Generally speaking, really cheap parts are cheap for a reason - and normally best avoided. I generally tend to go for a good OE equivalent supplier - Pagid brakes, for instance.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:57 pm 
UKS Addict

At least with Saab parts I believe there is a two year warranty. Bit like Dan really - will use good quality parts for ball joints, track rod ends etc. Some parts are only available from Saab so if that is the case I will bite the bullet. At least if you keep it in good order you know the history.

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:55 pm 
Active user

Car Model: THREE 9-5 Aero manual estates!
The quality of parts can vary a lot. My Mondeo had a very cheap Chinese made wishbone fitted before I got it. It failed in less than a year. When I replaced it (bargain priced one from FAI with 2 year warranty) there was a big difference in weight between them.

When buying online you don't have the ability to hold the different parts in your hand and compare them so I usually end up googling the makes and seeing what comments have been made on forums. Here's how I selected a water pump for my Mondeo from CowPats4Less:
Circoli £34.66
Airtex £37.50
Google "Circoli water pump forum" and you'll see plenty reports of Circoli water pumps failing. Of course, there's reports of Airtex ones failing too but I found a lot less so I went with Airtex as it was less than £3 more.

Other times, I'll pay a lot more for better quality parts depending on:
1) How likely it is for the part to fail again
2) How difficult it is to replace the part if it fails again
3) How it affects performance

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:53 pm 
Saab Nut

Jiffy wrote:
The quality of parts can vary a lot. My Mondeo had a very cheap Chinese made wishbone fitted before I got it. It failed in less than a year. When I replaced it (bargain priced one from FAI with 2 year warranty) there was a big difference in weight between them.

When buying online you don't have the ability to hold the different parts in your hand and compare them so I usually end up googling the makes and seeing what comments have been made on forums. Here's how I selected a water pump for my Mondeo from CowPats4Less:
Circoli £34.66
Airtex £37.50
Google "Circoli water pump forum" and you'll see plenty reports of Circoli water pumps failing. Of course, there's reports of Airtex ones failing too but I found a lot less so I went with Airtex as it was less than £3 more.

Other times, I'll pay a lot more for better quality parts depending on:
1) How likely it is for the part to fail again
2) How difficult it is to replace the part if it fails again
3) How it affects performance

But my point is how do you know the extra money is giving you better quality?

One of the pulleys I saw advertised was OEM at around £90, the manufacturing cost is probably just a few pounds so the £35 one ‘could’ be just as good but with fewer middlemen and a lower markup.
On the other hand the £70ish one could be carp with the seller pricing it just under the OEM to give it credibility.

It’s a total lottery!

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 8:40 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9k, 9-5 Aero & a Jaaag
other than going from experience, as above - all you can really do is search for comments from others about a given manufacturer, unless you're able to remove the original part and inspect it before ordering its' replacement. A few years ago I specifically bought an aux belt tensioner from SKF - rather than "INA" which looked good otherwise. The box arrived and inside was an INA tensioner ... the box said "contains parts manufactured or sourced by SKF". The part I took off (most likely the original) was INA :wall: