UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:02 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 pm 
Saab Nut

It's supposedly for life but I want to check the oil. It was rebuilt by Abbott 4 yrs ago and they insisted on using only genuine Saab and would not use Amsoil so I want 1L of the genuine stuff to hand. Is this something I get from any GM dealer?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:02 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Merc A200d AMG 7sp DCT
In all my 9000's ive always used RedLine MTL.
2 Bottles is all you need from a full drain.

Makes the 9000 gearbox really slick.
Opie oils do it, and you can get UKS discount.

08 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Elite

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:05 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Aero
I use Motul Gear 300 75w90 in mine.

If you have a Quaife ATB LSD don't get fooled into getting special LSD fluid, or LSD friction additives. The Quaife is not a clutch/plate type diff and doesn't need any of the friction modifiers.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:21 pm 
Saab Nut

Thanks for the input. I am aware that folks have their favourite. Fact is that Abott insisted on using the Saab stuff when they rebuilt my box with an lsd and anything else would void the guarantee. Something about compatibility with the synchro material. As a result I have 4 litres of expensive Amsoil sitting in my garage unused. The Saab/GM stuff has been perfectly fine for the last 4 yrs so I am happy to continue. It is just that crawling under the car today dealing with the undertray I noticed a bead of oil tracking round the casing. I strongly suspect it is dripping from the power steering but difficult to see exactly. Hence the need to check it and i need a litre handy just in case. I have a Vauxhall dealer just down the road so I thought I would pop in. I believe it is GM part no. 93165290 that is the "genuine Saab" stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 am 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
ommony wrote:
I use Motul Gear 300 75w90 in mine.

If you have a Quaife ATB LSD don't get fooled into getting special LSD fluid, or LSD friction additives. The Quaife is not a clutch/plate type diff and doesn't need any of the friction modifiers.

I have also put this in my 9-5 Aero 18 months (and 27,000 miles) ago. The big plus with it is that it is guaranteed safe to use with yellow metals (bronze) which some oils with chlorinated compounds are not. The oil is also formulated from proper fully synthetic base stocks. Its not cheap, but you don't need a lot of it.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:31 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

We keep the genuine stuff in stock. I drained, flushed and filled the gearbox in my CS a couple of weeks ago using that oil because I didn't know what was in it. It certainly shifts nicely.
You won't need to flush, obviously, since you know what's there.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:13 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
Been running Amsoil fully synthetic in my 9000 for a few years now with no issues - 177,000 miles

1987 9000 16V S Turbo

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 11:44 am 
Saab Nut

Just walked down to my local GM dealer. They have 93165290 in stock at £13.02/L incl. vat so that is what I have bought. I could have sourced elswhere but I would only have saved pennies and I can now crack on this w/e.
Really influenced by:
1.To a certain extent the major suppliers design their oils for a specific manufacturer. An element of being box specific. So being really safe with the GM product
2. When I had my box rebuilt by Abbott they refused to use the Amsoil I supplied and insisted on GM. The cost was miniscule in terms of the overall box rebuild cost so I can't believe Abbott would do it for a few quid extra margin.
3. As Bill has pointed out, it's what is in already so no need to flush.
I am sure other manufacturers products are fine but , frankly, I don't see much point.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 4:07 pm 
UKS Addict

Totally understand where you're coming from, but if you think that current GM gear oil is specific in any particular way to the 9000 gearbox, I think you may be giving GM too much credit, haha. Besides, As McVities said, the main thing is to ensure that whatever oil you use is safe for use with 'yellow metals'. So yeah, the GM stuff will be absolutely fine, but there are plenty of other oils available that are as good if not better with many proven miles on the 9000. My philosphy has always just been to do the research and get the very best quality oils/fluids that I can find. :)

Genuine GM/Saab stuff is always a good bet, though. And, as you say, saves you having to flush the gearbox (although a flush is nice anyways, in my opinion, since it's pretty rare to be changing gearbox oil so you might as well while you're in there.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:48 pm 
Saab Nut

Drained the oil and filled with 1.8L GM oil. Did not use the level plug, its difficult to get at with the battery carrier in position, just added a tad over 1.8. !.8 came out so no leaks. The oil was red but darker and more opaque than the new. A small amount of filings on the magnetic plug embedded in some black oily sludge. Clearly breakdown products. More worrying was a piece of wire c.7mm long. No idea where it is from, looks like pawl spring stuff. Anyway it is driving and changing fine. Based on what I have seen after 3.5yrs and 26k mls I will be changing the oil every 4 yrs , if not sooner.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:47 pm 
Saab Nut

ommony wrote:
My philosphy has always just been to do the research and get the very best quality oils/fluids that I can find. :)

Tbf when I was contemplating the rebuild 4 yrs ago I did loads of research and plumped for the Amsoil which is why I now have a supply in the garage. However all views were subjective such as " the box is much slicker etc etc " It is entirely possible that the "slicker" change was just down to new oil. We can all agree that other oils are proven from use but what swung me was Ed Abbott being adamant about GM oil. I am sure I would be ok with the others mentioned but didn't see the point, especially as I am sending him another box for rebuild.
Anyway Ommony, when is your car coming off sorn? Your Aero has been an inspiration to many of us and now Summer is here there is no excuse.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 8:45 am 
UKS Addict

I'll buy a couple of litres of your Amsoil stuff off you Roger - that's what is in mine and I suspect I have a leak, or like you its PAS fluid, either way I'll use it at some point.
By the way, Opie told me the whole 'yellow metal' thing has not been relevant for about 20 years now but people still stick by it, it was to do with additives used in the 70's and 80's that were dropped eventually. At least according to them anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 4:24 pm 
Saab Nut

I have a plan Mark-and it is cunning. 4L of Amsoil in exchange for those oil pipes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:31 pm 
UKS Addict

razani67 wrote:
Anyway Ommony, when is your car coming off sorn? Your Aero has been an inspiration to many of us and now Summer is here there is no excuse.
Hopefully soon, but then again, I've said that many times before. My problem is that I consistently seem to either have no money, or no time. I have been doing some basic maintenance work and regularly start the car, so it's all pretty much good to go. But I will need some welding and new tyres for the MOT, plus tax and insurance. Just can't afford it at the moment. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:15 am 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: Seat Leon
Nelliem wrote:
By the way, Opie told me the whole 'yellow metal' thing has not been relevant for about 20 years now but people still stick by it, it was to do with additives used in the 70's and 80's that were dropped eventually. At least according to them anyway.

This is true, well in Europe anyway. The additive that ate the yellow metals was dropped by all reputable oil brands back in the 1960's. Now API GL4 and API GL5 use the same ep additive, it is just that the API GL5 has more of it. In some cases GL5 can be too slippy for some synchros leading to a poor shift between gears and this can also lead to wear. When the oil is drained and metal is present it is often assumed that oil has eaten the yellow metal, when in fact it has not it is just wear from poor shifting.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Guy

01209 202944