UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:03 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:07 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 2007 9-3 1.9 TiD
Hi,

Just picked up a sportwagon cheap due to a cooling issue.

To start the water pump and belts were done 10'000 miles ago, egr cooler replaced two weeks ago as garage diagnosed the issue as that.

Issue is still present however.

No apparent leaks (only ran the car for a minute as it started beeping warning of low coolant)

Filling the reservoir up it doesn't take much to fill but then when started the coolant level drops down below minimum and throws up the warning.

Could this be as simple as trapped air? I haven't had a chance to take a look at too much yet as I bought it with intentions just to strip the wheels and interior out anyway but it would be a bonus to get it running.

Many thanks, Kerry

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:24 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 1.9tiD Vector S Anniversry
It's not a blue anniversary wagon is it?

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:39 pm 
Active user

Dirtyleeds wrote:
It's not a blue anniversary wagon is it?

No black airflow as far as I'm aware

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 3:42 pm 
Active user

Just to add, car has no issues with power, boost and doesn't appear to overheat.

Just ran it a bit longer and topped up again, warning popped up so turned car off. Slowly opened reservoir cap to release pressure and it started to push coolant out through the pipe at the rear left of it, is this normal? Coolant was very bubbled up too. No mixing of oil etc

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 4:56 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
worth bleeding the sytem via the nipple on the front water pipe maybe?

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 3:59 pm 
Active user

cjapeterborough wrote:
worth bleeding the sytem via the nipple on the front water pipe maybe?

Thanks, will take a look at finding that.

Took it for a 40 mile drive today and all though the coolant low warning popped up the coolant doesn't actually appear to be low, it's just under half in the reservoir. Seems to drop by a 1/4 when first started and remains at the same level.

Heaters get up to temperature fine, still no leaks.

I'm guessing a simple air lock was overlooked by the last garage that took a look at it. Unless there's a pipe somewhere with a small hole im just not noticing, tempted to throw a bottle of k seal through it and see if it improves.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 5:33 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1999 9-5 2l SE ESTATE
Quickest diagnostic is to get hold of a pressure tester (rent, borrow or buy..they're not expensive).

Without that, if it's pressurised (to a low pressure) it suggested any leak is weeping rather than there being a hole. Not sure about the 9-3 but I've had coolant loss due to internal heater matrix failure (water under the carpets in the front footwell).

That's where I'd be checking, plus damp spots on radiator, hoses, unions, etc. Water pumps do fail (I know it had a new one but.....) although it's harder to see if that's letting coolant pass.

Finally, it could be a head gasket but you'll need to pressure test the system to prove it (you don't always get creamy oil or oily coolant).

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 7:29 pm 
Active user

BigHal wrote:
Quickest diagnostic is to get hold of a pressure tester (rent, borrow or buy..they're not expensive).

Without that, if it's pressurised (to a low pressure) it suggested any leak is weeping rather than there being a hole. Not sure about the 9-3 but I've had coolant loss due to internal heater matrix failure (water under the carpets in the front footwell).

That's where I'd be checking, plus damp spots on radiator, hoses, unions, etc. Water pumps do fail (I know it had a new one but.....) although it's harder to see if that's letting coolant pass.

Finally, it could be a head gasket but you'll need to pressure test the system to prove it (you don't always get creamy oil or oily coolant).

Thanks, I'll get the garage to pressure test it some point next week if I don't solve it by then.

Matrix looks all good, interior is bone dry even under the carpets.

Few pipes at the front look a bit worst for ware along with a missing bolt to attach one to the bracket so I'll take a closer look at them. Pretty much all the rest are new hoses and clips so I think this issue has been looked into previously from a few different angles.

If worst comes to worst and it ends up being the head or pump then I'll just strip the bits I want off it anyway and end up splitting for parts. Does seem a shame as it's got a FSH with saab leeds up until 2014 and then stacks of receipts for work and religious servicing that's been done to it. Although judging by the one slip I have here it did spend the first 3 years of its life as a lease through enterprise.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:16 pm 
Active user

Bit of an update.

Head gasket tester arrived today, ran the car for 45 minutes and the test fluid did not change colour at all. It did bubble slightly but didn't drop any coolant out of the overflow.

Took the car for a spin and I noticed under load the warning pops up to say coolant low however when the car drops back to idle speed the coolant reservoir level goes back up to the same point it was to start with. Still no sign of leaks, it's stopped dumping coolant out of the back of the expansion tank too.

Could this be the water pump?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 pm 
Active user

Any further advise from anyone on this?

I've replaced the expansion bottle cap, run a head tester 3 times and it's not showing any signs at all of gases entering the coolant.

It's got a brand new temp sensor and housing too.

Runs fine for about 40 miles then coolant low pops up, seems to struggle to get to temperature sometimes (Sits between 1/4 and just below 1/2) if you hammer it a bit the temp goes up but then down again when you let off to just below half.

When stopping the car I undo the expansion cap to release a load of pressure and the coolant level rises back up to pretty much the same level as before the journey.

Still no signs of leaks anywhere I can see, garage hasn't yet had time to pressure test it but is there any tips on what I could do to identify a leak easier or someone who had a similar issue?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:28 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-5 Aero 2001,1.9TID x 2
Fill it past the middle seam and see what happens it must be dropping a lot if the sensor is being triggered.
If you arent losing coolant (for sure)then there must be air in the system.
You could also have a bad thermostat especially when you say its rising and falling the way it is.
It should rise to just under half way and stay there after about 10mins driving.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 6:11 pm 
Active user

cjapeterborough wrote:
Fill it past the middle seam and see what happens it must be dropping a lot if the sensor is being triggered.
If you arent losing coolant (for sure)then there must be air in the system.
You could also have a bad thermostat especially when you say its rising and falling the way it is.
It should rise to just under half way and stay there after about 10mins driving.

Will do, it drops about half way from the cold line when the message pops up. Idling it stays the same with odd bubbling (my other saab does the same and has no issues so assume this is normal) it's when it gets revs the pressure seems to build and the level drops. When the engine cools back down the level goes back up. Pretty certain there's no leaks, put dye in and the only area it's showing is around the overflow and areas below it where the pressure has pushed it out.

Thermostat was done on 23rd April according to receipts with the car but it could be pot luck it's a faulty one.

Should the top hose going to the expansion tank always have coolant flowing? It does straight away from start up. The other car from what I could see doesn't do this.