UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:53 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:28 pm 

Car Model: Saab 900 se turbo
Hi all,

Long time since last posting. Just back from getting my car MOT'd and it's failed on the bulkhead being split "Offside Steering component mounting prescribed area fractured to the extent that control of the vehicle is likely to be adversely affected (2.1.2 (e) (ii))"

I was aware the 93 and especially convertibles were susceptible to this, but not the 900. I asked the tester if he could show me the area where the problem is, but wouldn't.

Going forward, is the advice the same as for the 93, repair and get a steering brace? Or is there anything else to be looking for.

All the best

Patrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:41 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: MY 07 9-3 SC Vector
I don't see why he wouldn't show you? Was it an MOT place used to Saabs? My old 2001 5 door 9-3 failed on this at around 60k but I could hear creaking when turned the steering wheel but I never checked to see if the pedals moved. I got mine repaired at a Saab indy and got the PFS rack brace (which really helped with torque steer too).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:54 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
The ng900 is worse for it than the 9-3. The repair is the same though.

A rack brace will help prevent it (horse and stable door springs to mind) and will help with the handling. Not easy to fin for the 900 now though, and 9-3 ones wont fit. I also seem to remember there are two sizes for the 900 as the changed the rack part way through the run.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:05 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: og aero,Viggen,TTID wagon
https://www.abbottsaab.com/product/bulk ... 900-94-98/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:25 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
Dependent on where you are Suffolk Saab do a 9-3 repair, presumably the 900 would be basically the same.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SAAB-93-9-3- ... 1438.l2649

'03 Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Vert
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:43 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: The TG 9000 Aero, Edna Aero...
Isn't the MOT station obliged to show exactly where any failure is if you ask?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:59 pm 

Car Model: Saab 900 se turbo
Hi, thanks all for the replies.

Yes, I really don't understand why he wouldn't show me, started making excuses that had to get the next car on but would have taken all of a minute, pretty poor tbh as had finished the MOT almost 15 minutes early. Had a look last night and you can see the bulkhead moving down the bottom close to the chassis, and some movement of the pedals when at full lock. All of which is pretty alarming! I couldn't see any actual cracks and not higher up next to the suspension strut where most pictures on the internet show, but lot's of stuff in the way if it's moving then must be a problem somewhere.

I've been down and seen Saabmaster this morning, as I'm based in Torquay and he seems pretty confident that it's something he can fix.

I will be getting the clamp, always something I've seen and never thought necessary.

Will get the work done, despite it costing more than the car is ever worth, but I've had it since I was 17 (31 now) so be a shame to let it go over this.

All the best
Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:09 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
I think the 'crack' is generally the inadequate spot welds coming undone with the flexing of the bulkhead.

Funny attitude down there, can't make them favourable for any work. I use Halfords for my MOT's and they are generally helpful and show you anything. On the 9-3 this morning he actually had it up and down on the lift with both of us poking etc to find where a clonk in the suspension was coming from. They even put a touch of weld on a bracket on the TR7 a couple of years ago without wanting payment. They can see I fix my own cars and don't push for work either.

'03 Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Vert
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:22 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Who did the MOT, Patrick? Just so I know to avoid them. Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:17 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2005 9-5 Aero Wagon
patrick54896 wrote:
Hi, thanks all for the replies.

Yes, I really don't understand why he wouldn't show me, started making excuses that had to get the next car on but would have taken all of a minute, pretty poor tbh as had finished the MOT almost 15 minutes early. Had a look last night and you can see the bulkhead moving down the bottom close to the chassis, and some movement of the pedals when at full lock. All of which is pretty alarming! I couldn't see any actual cracks and not higher up next to the suspension strut where most pictures on the internet show, but lot's of stuff in the way if it's moving then must be a problem somewhere.

I've been down and seen Saabmaster this morning, as I'm based in Torquay and he seems pretty confident that it's something he can fix.

I will be getting the clamp, always something I've seen and never thought necessary.

Will get the work done, despite it costing more than the car is ever worth, but I've had it since I was 17 (31 now) so be a shame to let it go over this.

All the best
Patrick

I thought all MOT's were timed through their computer systems now so they had to keep to a prescribed pattern and the option of finishing early was not, an option, now?

1987 9000 16V S Turbo