UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:38 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:49 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 1.9TiD Vector S/W Auto
HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP please......

Front suspension on my 9-3 1.9TiD SW had failed (seals on dampers done in), and top mounts, so I got a good price at NeoBrothers on new dampers, springs (car has done 160k....) and top mounts/bearings, and had them assemble both legs prior to despatch.

Swapped them over today, along with new 'water in fuel sensor', and after double checking tightness of all nuts and bolts etc, went out for a short drive.

Turned into a VERY short drive as it sounds worse than before. I am at a loss. On smooth road surface.....perfect, nice and quiet BUT over a bump and sounds seriously wrong.

Rechecked nuts and bolts, all ok. Top mounting bolts, all tight. Bounce car and some movement up and down of damper piston with rubber mount but presume this is normal flex.

Need someone who knows more about these who can hopefully point to what is wrong.

Anyone able to help that is near Uxbridge area? Your time can be paid for, along with tea/coffee and biscuits :o)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:17 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2008 93 aero, noob'd
did you change the links for the antiroll bars?

i treat them as a consumable now. i did mine after changing springs because of the noise and silence

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:23 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-3 1.9tiD Vector S Anniversry
Drop links sound bad when they are shot. Cheap and easy to do.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:19 pm 
Active user

I didn't put new drop links on, thinking as they had only been replaced 7 months ago, and ball joints seemed to still be in good order.

N/s/f when going over bumps/drops in the road surface sends a solid worrying donk noise and the o/s/f has less solid noise but at one point sounded like the threads on a bolt moving up and down against something, which first lead me to think top strut mounts but all secure.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:24 pm 
Active user

Difficult to properly describe noises hence why could really do with someone, ideally familiar with these cars, to have a listen/look, and see what they think.

Not willing to drive the car whilst it's like this, so will try new drop links but if no change, she will just be sitting SORN.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:57 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 2008 93 aero, noob'd
the drop links don't like being disturbed. so make al sorts of noises.

a spanner check while your under there wouldn't go amiss. especially as you didn't assemble the struts yourself.

sillier things have happened

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9 3 Aero Combi 2.0T 2009
Chris Andrews formerly of AnG in Park Royal may help.

He is near Heathrow. 07802 773337

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:07 pm 

Car Model: saab 9-3 1.9 TiD
anh167 wrote:

Front suspension on my 9-3 1.9TiD SW had failed (seals on dampers done in), and top mounts, so I got a good price at NeoBrothers on new dampers, springs (car has done 160k....) and top mounts/bearings, and had them assemble both legs prior to despatch.

Swapped them over today, along with new 'water in fuel sensor', and after double checking tightness of all nuts and bolts etc, went out for a short drive.

Turned into a VERY short drive as it sounds worse than before. I am at a loss. On smooth road surface.....perfect, nice and quiet BUT over a bump and sounds seriously wrong.

Rechecked nuts and bolts, all ok. Top mounting bolts, all tight. Bounce car and some movement up and down of damper piston with rubber mount but presume this is normal flex.

Need someone who knows more about these who can hopefully point to what is wrong.

Anyone able to help that is near Uxbridge area? Your time can be paid for, along with tea/coffee and biscuits :o)

Spray some lubricant on antiroll bar rubbers , i have the same issue and every so often ill treat them with lube :D... supespension perfectly silen until i go over speed bumps then i get woosh sound, they are hard to replace (harder then on vectras) as to remove bolts whole undercarriage has to come down (possibly mess up aligment)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:43 am 
Active user

saabHOT wrote:
Chris Andrews formerly of AnG in Park Royal may help.

He is near Heathrow. 07802 773337

Thanks for that. I have already seen Chris regarding the initial faults and he diagnosed the blown o/s damper and raised concerns regarding top mounts. Springs seemed intact though as everything else was being replaced, got new springs as well.

Chris is waiting for further surgery on his back so limited on what he is able to take on at the mo, hence getting parts pre assembled at neo brothers and despatched to me for fitting. Purchased new drop links this morning, so will fit those, recheck everything else that has been disturbed, spray roll bar bushes and see what happens.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:50 am 
Active user

mnemon81 wrote:
anh167 wrote:

Spray some lubricant on antiroll bar rubbers , i have the same issue and every so often ill treat them with lube :D... supespension perfectly silen until i go over speed bumps then i get woosh sound, they are hard to replace (harder then on vectras) as to remove bolts whole undercarriage has to come down (possibly mess up aligment)

I got a couple of polyurethane bushes for the front roll bar, thinking that as I was working on all that etc but as you mention, did look a little tight for space getting to the bolts, and having to drop the subframe was more of a job than I was willing to take on at the mo.

Will try squirty squirty first

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:03 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
Check your invoice.........

Does it specify genuine Saab top mounts?
The aftermarket ones previously supplied to several 9-5 owners were utter carp. Some failing in as little as 500 miles.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:31 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
So were some 9-3 ones...

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:44 pm 
Barrelling Along

Car Model: 9-5 Aero
sgould wrote:
So were some 9-3 ones...

Given it was the same supplier, that was the inference :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:07 pm 
Active user

I took Saabine to Chris Andrews this morning, as he kindly agreed to have a poke about and put his expert knowledge to use.

He wasn't so keen on Bilstien dampers having been fitted as opposed to Sachs, but after test drives, a couple of plastic nuts fitted to help secure o/s/f arch lining, bouncing the car up and down etc etc, the problems apparently lie in 2 areas.

Heavy knocking/thudding noise is anti roll bar bushes, being replaced with polyurethane bushes. A lot of original noise may have been masked with problems relating to old dampers and top mounts, but now more apparent working against new suspension and drop links.

The clicking metallic noise turns out to be coming from the new top mounts/bearings. Could hear it clearly inside the car when driving and when Chris stood at the side and bounced the car, there was the noise. Top mounts.

These came to me pre assembled so just waiting now for Neo Brothers to come back to me with a plan of action, following my complaint earlier.

These things, as with most things in life, can happen but frustrating when time off work is now spent paying others to diagnose faulty goods, and a car I cannot safely use yet will probably have to take to Neo Brothers to have fixed.

Fingers crossed on outcome with NB.

P. S. Regarding manufacturer of top mounts/bearings. Invoice from NB just says
13188763-C Mount Strut Top 9-3 03-12
13270705-C Bearing Suspension Strut Top 9-3 03-12

Springs supplied are for standard suspension, which apparently my Vector Sportwagon has but Chris did say the car seems to be sitting a lot higher and noted that there was no rubber sleeve on the ends of the coils where they sit in the damper cup. NB say they do not supply/assemble springs with sleeves.

Thanks to all for your help so far and will keep you posted.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:09 pm 
Active user

**anti roll bar bushes ARE TO BE replaced with polyurethane type, not as it may have read, polyurethane being the cause of the noise**

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:46 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
This all makes sense. Old parts showing their age when working with new ones.

As for the top mounts, I had a good experience with the Febi Bilstein ones from ECP and other suppliers. The Neo Brothers' ones have a poor reputation, although I didn't even try them because of that so I don't have direct experience of them.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:18 pm 
Active user

Finally.....
My usual help has gone away for the Easter weekend so left to my own devices to try and put things right.

Replacement top mounts, genuine not after market jobs this time. Neo Brothers sent out replacements which arrived today so cracked on.

Gingerly stripped out the legs again, umd and rrd a bit and then decided give Chris (Andrews), a call again. He very kindly said yes to swapping over the mounts if I took them over to him. Job done.... Big thank you to Chris.

Got back home and thought, do I want to put these back on, take Saabine for a run, only to be drowned out with more noise, so anti roll bar bushes replaced as well. Wow.... that is a pain in the backside of a job isn't it.

More cursing as I do not have slim tiny hands but got there eventually.

So, roll bar polyurethane bushes done, bilstien (not everyone's choice) dampers, springs and now genuine top mounts all done, and sat there bracing myself for the next test drive.

Slowly slowly, rocking the steering helping everything settle before going out on the open road. First indications were good. And after full run....... HAPPY BUNNY

Saabine is all quiet again.

Bracing myself for the next job now..... Cambelt replacement (and water pump).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:59 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
:) :)

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...