UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:16 pm 
Saab Nut

I think I have found the culprit but not sure the fix. Offside rear wheel removed and looking at the top end of the fuel filler pipe there appears to be a valve protruding to the front. I have a c.9" piece of hose dangling from a spigot in the centre of the valve. Where should it connect. The EPC is useless on this. I have c1/2" bit of hose sticking into the top of the arch which appears to be around the back of the filler. I suspect the 2 should be connected but there is not enough for me to get a jubilee on. Where does the other end connect and how do I get at it to put in a new length of hose assuming that's what I need to do.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:24 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: Saab 9000 aero
Is this the hose you are referring to?

Attachments:
D3A07B74-5ED4-4C63-AE07-906693C8AD0D.jpeg
D3A07B74-5ED4-4C63-AE07-906693C8AD0D.jpeg [ 123.34 KiB | Viewed 190 times ]

Clio dci

Talk is cheap! Torque is expensive!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:32 pm 
Saab Nut

Yes- that looks like it. It looks like the tube has to bend through 120 deg. My break seems to be near where it enters the bodyshell.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:42 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
That vent hose cracking is quite common on the 9k. Easiest to get some petrol hose and replace it but you get a bit dusty sitting under the wheel arch doing it! It normally has the type of clip that releases by squeezing the tangs with pliers as you pull the tube off, may be reusable if they have not rusted away.

'03 Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Vert
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:48 pm 
Saab Nut

That confirms what I guessed. Trouble is I only have a very short piece poking out from the bodyshell, not enough to make any join so where does that pipe go should I want to replace the whole lot.
edit; Looking more closely what I thought was a short piece of tubing poking through the body isn't at all. It's a grommet so I have lost that end of the hose altogether. I need to get at the bodyshell end-but how?

Last edited by razani67 on Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:53 pm 
Saab Nut

It may look like there is not enough pipe protruding through the body to attach hose but there will be enough plastic pipe to pull through and slide rubber pipe over the plastic pipe. Original clips are squeeze clips as said above. I have attached a pic of the plastic pipe from behind the trim as it enters the car.

Attachments:
FFE28A77-275D-4CFE-B4D9-59385C3D4E4F.jpeg
FFE28A77-275D-4CFE-B4D9-59385C3D4E4F.jpeg [ 165.6 KiB | Viewed 184 times ]

Clio dci

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:03 pm 
Saab Nut

Thanks Saabnscotland. That looks like where I have my break or it may be I did have a break in the wheelarch and somehow that plastic pipe got pulled back into the body. Can I get at it by pulling the o/s boot trim back? Where does that plasic pipe go- the charcoal canister in the wing? In which case it would have to go via the roof or sill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:11 pm 
Saab Nut

You should get at it by pulling trim panel off. It is part of the evap system. I am guess it has been pushed back a little inside the car but from memory there is some play in the pipe that you will be able push or to pull it through. I can take a look tomorrow if you want as my car is stripped out.

Clio dci

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:42 pm 
Saab Nut

This is an odd one. Pulled the trim panel back. Removing a bit of packing stuffed into the body behind the speaker gave access to the back of the filler. The plastic pipe was loose in the space but there was not enough give to push it through the grommet but clearly that is where it has to go. I will think further on how to make a join. I suppose the grommet will not accomodate pushing the hose through it rather than the pipe.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:27 pm 
Saab Nut

Done it. No idea why the plastic pipe was up in the bodyshell instead of poking through the grommet and into the wheelarch. It didn't look as though the pipe had broken but there was absoluely no give in it to push it down through the grommet.Used a piece of nylon hard plastic petrol line to push up the grommet from the wheelarch side then a piece of 5/16" petrol hose to connect with the line in the bodyshell. Made the loop to the valve in the wheelarch using cotton braided fuel pipe. It is more flexible than the thick pressure hose that obviously goes brittle and breaks. An awful job to do. Not much room to work in the bodyshell cutouts in the boot.
The broken hose in the wheelarch that I removed is stamped WP 12 BAR. Why should it be that specification, it's a vent line.