UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon May 27, 2019 1:00 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:46 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
My '03 9-5 has standard headlights, no fancy HID's. I drive with dipped lights switched on at all times and have been driving around today without a problem.
Went to go out tonight and the headlights flashed on when starting and then went out. Tried the flash and only one lit so swapped the orange relay with one of the spares. Then both main beam worked but still no dipped beam. Swapped the relay with the second spare and same result. At this point I gave up as the wind was threatening to remove the bonnet but it seemed unlikely that both dipped beam bulbs (Nightbreakers) would fail at the same time. Can anyone think of any other obvious simple reason for both failing at the same time?

'03 Saab 9-5 2.3t Vector Estate Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Vert
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:57 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Fuse would be the next logical place to look.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:10 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: '04 9-5 Aero est., '97 9K Aero
I had a pair of Nightbreakers fail on consecutive days on the (og) 9-3 after what I thought was a pathetic lifespan. I’ve read of similar disappointments.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:22 pm 
UKS Addict

9000Parts wrote:
Fuse would be the next logical place to look.

Should have thought of that, just always been the orange relay up to now.
However, there are separate fuses for the dipped light each side, would seem odd for both to fail. Will look at the fuses and bulbs tomorrow assuming the gales have died down and time permits. I can see a long drive early morning in SWMBO's 207 :( .

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:15 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
9-5 has a dipped beam relay...

Don't rule out the column stalk.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:23 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Oh! you swapped the relay...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:33 am 
UKS Addict

Checked this morning. All fuses intact. High beam is working and latching. I have no dip beam and only the LH sidelight working. I even reflowed the solder connections on a couple of the relays last night in case but made no difference when fitted this morning.

Also pulled the headlight switch and re-seated the connector but it is Saab locking type so not likely to come loose. Still no go.

Have to go out today, will have to resume tomorrow with checking the bulbs but cannot believe all 3 (2 dip and 1 side) have failed together.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:38 am 
UKS Addict

Having had a quick look at WIS it seems the dipped beam is controlled by the DICE (if I have understood correctly). I changed that when I bought the car 5 years ago as the instrument lighting was having a disco effect. IIRC the headlights were working OK so if I can find the old one I could try substitution of that.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:52 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1999 9-5 2l SE ESTATE
I had a 1999 9-5 Estate that ate headlight bulbs and regularly had 2 blow within about 30 mins of each other (dipped beam which I used all the time when driving). Sidelight bulbs didn't do much better and I thought the alternator may have been giving a voltage spike or there was a short somewhere in the front lighting circuit.

Everything looked fine on my multimeter though and there was nothing obvious short wise or with earths (trust me I checked).

After about 2 years of 3-4 monthly bulb changes it righted itself.

PM if you want to try switches or relays (or even DICE) as I have lots of bits from a couple of cars I've split.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:01 pm 
UKS Addict

OMG!!! I don't know whether to be relieved or concerned. Do you get power surges in the headlight circuit? BOTH Nightbreakers and the RH sidelight were blown. While I cannot be sure about the sidelight (although pretty sure it was OK), both dipped beams were fine until I started the car that afternoon. Picked up a couple of cheap bulbs in Lidl and normal service appears to be resumed - for the moment.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 1999 9-5 2l SE ESTATE
Big issues with breakers or fuses suggests a dead short somewhere. It could be a chafed wire(s) or a corroded connector (made worse by wet/damp) or even something floating around terminals grounding the supply.

I'd do a thorough visual inspection and double check all the points mentioned.

I really don't think a voltage spike is likely (I was clutching at straws with mine) & almost certainly wouldn't pop breakers and fuses as well as bulbs....

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:24 pm 
UKS Addict

No problems with the breakers or fuses that I could see and none were blown. Nothing looked out of order or corroded/chafed, just that both dip beam bulbs went out in unison. One looked as if it had had a more violent blow (blackened the glass internally), the other was cleaner but both blew at the same time.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:55 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Did you buy the Osram from a reputable company? There are a lot of fakes about.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:36 pm 
UKS Addict

sgould wrote:
Did you buy the Osram from a reputable company? There are a lot of fakes about.

Can't remember exactly but I think it was ECP in one of their offers. I am aware of clones and tend to use larger companies who, hopefully, do not get involved in copies. Even with copies I would be amazed at both failing at exactly the same time as happened.

I will be interested to see how the Lidl bulbs perform, they are claimed to be +100% 'compared to statutory requirement', whatever that is, but at £4.99 a pair as I was there I could not resist to check if my system was OK.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:40 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Are your headlamps tightly secured? Is your car lowered or have hard suspension? These headlights do not like strong vibration.

It's fairly common for people to fit brighter headlights in older cars to try and overcome faded reflectors and misted lenses. Many of these cars have loose and rusty fixings around the front wings, bumper and headlight.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:02 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 2.2 vector estate
Had both mine fail together with nightbreakers, luckily I wasn’t too far from home! Swapped for another pair and all was well again.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:15 pm 
UKS Addict

sgould wrote:
Are your headlamps tightly secured? Is your car lowered or have hard suspension? These headlights do not like strong vibration.

It's fairly common for people to fit brighter headlights in older cars to try and overcome faded reflectors and misted lenses. Many of these cars have loose and rusty fixings around the front wings, bumper and headlight.

Not sure what happen to my response to this but the headlights are secure (replaced the bumper a year ago and checked since) and the car has standard suspension. While by no means concours the car does not have loose and rusty fixings around the front.

Odd thing I have noticed is that the cut off pattern is not so sharp with the Lidl bulbs as with the Nightbreakers. I thought the pattern was set by the reflectors more than anything as the bulbs sit in a metal tube.

Was looking at GT Ultra 120's as Powerbulbs is doing a 2 for 1 off so you get 4 for £18.99. Anyone used these?

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:46 pm 
UKS Addict

I have just bought the GT Ultra's from Powerbulbs as they have a 25% discount code at the moment so got 4 H7's for about £14 posted. Will see how they compare to Lidl.

'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:06 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
TWSaab wrote:

Odd thing I have noticed is that the cut off pattern is not so sharp with the Lidl bulbs as with the Nightbreakers. I thought the pattern was set by the reflectors more than anything as the bulbs sit in a metal tube.

Was looking at GT Ultra 120's as Powerbulbs is doing a 2 for 1 off so you get 4 for £18.99. Anyone used these?

The Lidl bulbs must not have the filament in the exact same location as they should be, therefore the light is coming from a different spot. Tiny changes with this can have an effect.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5