UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:58 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

When you put a new thread up in the Workshop please put your car's year and model in the thread title, along with just a brief indicator of the problem.

Car Year - Car Model: Brief description of issue. EXAMPLE- 1999 9-3. Problems starting when hot.

Please also add as much information as you can about the problem, to your post.

This will help us to help you, without having to ask basic details such as what car you have.

Threads with non-compliant titles will be moved to The Pit Lane (in which no replies can be posted, but the OP can edit the thread - upon which the thread will be released to the workshop forum)

Nb. Generic thread titles for truly generic issues that genuinely are not model or variant specific (such as "how do I change the spring in an forge wastegate actuator") are acceptable

**The first 5 posts for new users require individual moderator approval (which they will only get it if they are in line the rules of the forum). Please be patient and allow time for that to happen, and avoid duplicate postings.**

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:35 pm 
Active user

Car Model: '05 9-5 2.2Tid Vector Wagon
Hi guys.

Just wondering if anyone has any insight into a strange problem my '05 9-5 Vector has been afflicted with. The car has been stood since 2013, with a brief period of use in 2015/16. It was left to stand outside in the elements, next to a main road (dirty main road), until I rescued it from being sent to the crusher - literally just another few days and it would have been gone they told me!

But I bought it, had it flat bedded down to a local garage and have had it recommissioned at high cost and have been running it the last week and covered 140 miles so far. When I picked it up from the garage the first thing I noticed was the Navigation head unit wouldn't switch to any source other than telephone and wouldn't turn off, and SID was saying "telephone". Then I noticed that the passenger foot well courtesy light wasn't going out, then I noticed that the tailgate ajar warning won't go out and the tailgate latch goes crazy when I pull away.

Since then, I have managed to get the head unit to power up and work by disconnecting the telephone power lead from the rear of the unit, but now that it is working I immediately noticed that the driver's door speaker isn't working (the garage tells me that it all was working fine before as they were actually listening to the stereo in it the day before).

So the faults are....

* Passenger foot well courtesy light won't go out at any time other than when the whole interior light system times out - with the exception of this, this one light is permanently on.
* Driver's door speaker not working as if not connected.
* If I reconnect the telephone lead, the head unit and SID power on and become stuck on telephone (permanently live just like the foot well light and only goes off when the whole car times out), and there is nothing I can do with it, it will not stitch to any other source.
* Tailgate ajar warning on all the time the engine is running, and the latch goes crazy every time I pull away (making slow traffic situations extremely annoying), I suspect a faulty latch in some way, either a micro switch as I've had that problem with a couple of other cars before, or the latch itself, as it opens/closes, lock/unlocks no problem - just the car thinks it's always open but it isn't.
* I also now have a 'Theft system failure' warning from SID most times I start the engine. The car locks/unlocks and starts no problem, and the alarm armed light has a constant steady single flash when armed.

I was thinking that maybe the canBUS circuit is somehow unhappy at suddenly being put into regular use after years of being stood inactive. A few guys have told me that this isn't an uncommon problem, and that generally they do settle down after some time and regular use, but, after a week and 140 miles, it's all still unhappy and the problems persist.

So if anyone has any ideas, hints, tips or advice I would very much appreciate it??

ALSO, new info just added on 17/02 - I forgot to mention before, there is one more electrical problem which is the night panel. When I hit the button, all but the speedometer shuts off all perfectly as it should but, when I hit the button to come back out of night mode, it all stays shut off until I switch engine, which then resets it and all the instruments come back on again.

Thank you,
Best regards,
Mike.

Last edited by drewerz01 on Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:26 am 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 9-5 * 2 & Saab 9-3
Well this ones gonna be interesting isn't it!

With a problem like this, I would probably start by trying to work out how all of these systems are related but we mustn't overlook the possibility that you have more than 1 problem especially as the car has been sat for a long time as moisture/rodents could have got into wiring.

For starters, does it actually say "Theft system Failure" or does it say "Service Theft Alarm"?

The passenger footwell and tailgate ajar/latch going crazy could all be related to the DICE unit as I believe it controls all of these items.

The Drivers door speaker could just be a dead speaker, but I believe that the DICE unit is located under steering wheel, mounted to the right-hand side of the car. Which is probably where the wiring for door speaker also runs. So you may have an issue with wiring/corrosion there.

As for the telephone fault - I haven't got a clue I`m afraid.

Hope this is at least of some help to you.

Frank.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:03 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Does the car have a working phone kit? Or a non-working one? The usual cause of the Telephone message and a silent radio is a badly removed phone kit.

The Telephone message is triggered by the yellow mute wire from the audio being earthed. A phone kit switches this to earth when a call is in progress. It is often earthed when a phone kit is badly removed and the wires are just cut, leaving bare ends to touch metal.

If it’s happening when you have a phone kit installed, and the yellow wire isn’t chafed and earthing itself, the phone kit is faulty.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:56 pm 
Active user

Might also be worth checking the G40 & G42 ground points on either side of the dash. According to WIS G40 (Passenger side) is used by the audio system and G42 (Driver Side) is used by DICE.

Frank.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:08 pm 
Active user

captainfrank wrote:
Well this ones gonna be interesting isn't it!

With a problem like this, I would probably start by trying to work out how all of these systems are related but we mustn't overlook the possibility that you have more than 1 problem especially as the car has been sat for a long time as moisture/rodents could have got into wiring.

For starters, does it actually say "Theft system Failure" or does it say "Service Theft Alarm"?

The passenger footwell and tailgate ajar/latch going crazy could all be related to the DICE unit as I believe it controls all of these items.

The Drivers door speaker could just be a dead speaker, but I believe that the DICE unit is located under steering wheel, mounted to the right-hand side of the car. Which is probably where the wiring for door speaker also runs. So you may have an issue with wiring/corrosion there.

As for the telephone fault - I haven't got a clue I`m afraid.

Hope this is at least of some help to you.

Frank.

Hi Frank. Thanks for you reply and insight.

Yes, the car does actually give a Theft system failure warning (see image), which is easily cleared but then comes back on each time engine is started. However the car does lock/unlock, starts and runs fine, and the armed indicator light on the dash does have the slow and steady single flash as it's supposed to, which (from what I know of) would suggest no actual fault??

Also, there is something else, another minor fault, which I omitted from the first post, which is that if I hit the 'Night Panel' button, everything but the speedometer shuts off as it should with no problems, but then it all stays shut off when I hit the button again, and it all stays shut off until after I've shut the engine off and come to start up again next time.

I did actually check the DICE fuses under the bonnet (as I also did with all the other fuses - just to be sure), but they all were fine except for a little oxidization on the terminals, which I clean up a little and oiled with WD40 - but no difference. This particular DICE unit has the top cover missing though I noticed, so I must look at replacing it. But a faulty unit, certainly sounds as though it could be the cause.

The speaker, I don't actually know as I haven't removed the door panel to check. But the garage did tell me that they heard it all working, that's all I know. However, I will admit that it's entirely possible and maybe even likely, that they won't have checked each individual speaker, thus it's likely that when they heard the radio in the car, it was assumed that all speakers were working.
So I will inspect the speaker at my next opportunity, which will likely be next weekend now.

When I was inspecting the fuses, I noted that all of the cables appear clean and undamaged (that I could see), and the earth leads also appeared to be clean and undamaged. There certainly appears to be absolutely no sign of rodent activity inside the car at all, if this were the case I would have seen it, as we have been all through the car to valet it. There were no turds, no chewed carpet anywhere or anything like the typical rodent activity you might expect.

It is quite bizarre, all this, but it's starting to drive me mad a bit to be honest...

Cheers,
Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:18 pm 
Active user

sgould wrote:
Does the car have a working phone kit? Or a non-working one? The usual cause of the Telephone message and a silent radio is a badly removed phone kit.

The Telephone message is triggered by the yellow mute wire from the audio being earthed. A phone kit switches this to earth when a call is in progress. It is often earthed when a phone kit is badly removed and the wires are just cut, leaving bare ends to touch metal.

If it’s happening when you have a phone kit installed, and the yellow wire isn’t chafed and earthing itself, the phone kit is faulty.

Hi Si. I don't think it does actually have the phone system installed. There is a mic hidden up behind the rear view mirror, but no other indication of a phone system. But this Nav head unit is completely different to the older AS3 head unit I had in my old '02 Aero, which had a Nokia hands free bluetooth phone system installed, which I removed myself (correctly - as it was driving me mad).

I don't actually want a phone system in any way, I'm not at all interested in that so I wouldn't be interested in repairing it if it's faulty. But I certainly don't want it to be affecting the use of the head unit.

I have deliberately left the head unit just proud of the dash fascia panel (as it was an utter pig to get out - In fact I've never struggled so much to get a head unit out in more than twenty year of driving), as I expected to have to frequently pull it back out to check this or that if any had any questions to help me figure the problem out.

Cheers,
Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:21 pm 
Active user

captainfrank wrote:
Might also be worth checking the G40 & G42 ground points on either side of the dash. According to WIS G40 (Passenger side) is used by the audio system and G42 (Driver Side) is used by DICE.

Frank.

Hi Frank.

I apologise for being a bit dim here but, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by WIS? G40 & G42, I presume are ground points?

Cheers,
Mike.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:44 pm 
Active user

drewerz01 wrote:
captainfrank wrote:

Frank.

Hi Frank.

I apologise for being a bit dim here but, I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by WIS? G40 & G42, I presume are ground points?

Cheers,
Mike.

Workshop Information system. It's the SAAB Bible.

There are downloads all over the internet by some guy called CaptainFrank. It's a bit complicated by it's fully of usefully info.

Frank.