UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:15 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:18 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9000 Anni, 9-5s by the score
I park in a little car-park round the corner from work. Leaving work this evening as I turned into the car-park I had a slight feeling of dread thinking the 9000 had gone awol. I really couldn't see it parked in the 3rd row in the corner. Got a few yards closer and I relaxed as I could see the roof.

When did a 9000 become a "small" car.

Every other car on the car-park was taller, some were wider and some longer. Its not a fancy car-park but the one next to the Italian that is empty during the day. I'm going to have to get a fibreglass tank whip aerial with a Saab pennant or risk misplacing the 9000 again.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:24 pm 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
You want to try and find a 9-5 Aero in a car park then! They are so low compared to everything else. I remember parking my last 9000 Aero next to a new Astra and they were a similar length and height. The Astra is not considered a large car either.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:44 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
It's a good measure of how much cars have grown. The 9000 was categorised as a large car in the USA at launch, unlike a great many other European competitors at the time. They are cavernous. Cars have grown externally to meet safety regulations with crumple zones and bonnet height rules etc. Internally a small car is still small.

2007(57) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:49 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: S
Scariest thing I ever did with one of my 9000s, was to lose the car key in a carpark. Luckily a Saab dealer posted me a new key from Sweden, but sent it to the wrong address, then sent another out. I had a spare fob so was a relatively easy fix. Never lost a key in my life apart from that one.

9-5 Aero Stage 3 Noobtune
9000 Aero Stage 3 Saabflight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:52 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95 Aero Turbo4
9000Parts wrote:
You want to try and find a 9-5 Aero in a car park then! They are so low compared to everything else. I remember parking my last 9000 Aero next to a new Astra and they were a similar length and height. The Astra is not considered a large car either.

The new Astra has shrunk compared to the old model - it was getting quite close to the Insignia in size.

What strikes me is how the Golf has grown, last Sunday I joined the traffic at 10A on M6 southbound and there had obviously been a VW meet up north, a Mk1 was in front of a Mk6, and I was in a Mk4 alongside, I was in between sizes but the difference was monumental...

Try parking an NG 9-5 in a car park, it's too long for normal spaces and you can always see the front or back poking out. For this reason we take the Golf to Sainsbury's

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:37 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
A good 17 years ago now the folks had a Mazda Bongo and they lost it in the Airport carpark.
:lol:
They did find it eventually.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:37 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
we landed a stanstead at 3am ish total ice snow everywhere car doors were frozen solid
went and got some hot water to defrost the locks rubbers

as i was walking back to the car another car slid right in the side of my car timing eh

drove it home with no windows on drivers side brrr chilly billy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:53 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 900 SE Stage 3
Cars have grown a heck of a lot in the last 15 years. I parked next to this 5 GT last year and it utterly dwarfed the 900. We were both parked roughly the same distance away from the back of the space. Even the wheels are 5" bigger in diameter and 2.5" wider.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:15 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
even with an odd bonett your car looks better than the 5 series does
i drove an x6 a while back now that was a massive car with massive wheels
21 inch i think they were massive things i bet they weighed a fair old weight x4 with added massive tyres
i dont think many new bmws are what id call good looking

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:38 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95 Aero Turbo4
Kei wrote:
Cars have grown a heck of a lot in the last 15 years. I parked next to this 5 GT last year and it utterly dwarfed the 900. We were both parked roughly the same distance away from the back of the space. Even the wheels are 5" bigger in diameter and 2.5" wider.

Which one would be most spacious inside??

There was a time 15" was considered a large wheel but I made the observation once that for an alloy wheel to look 'good' you'd need low profile tyres otherwise the wheels would look small, whereas with steelies and full hub caps it's not such a concern. Nowadays with the high bonnet lines and fat wheel arches small alloys look naff, on a NG900 the 15s look good.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:49 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: OG 9-3 SE
welshwizard wrote:

What strikes me is how the Golf has grown, last Sunday I joined the traffic at 10A on M6 southbound and there had obviously been a VW meet up north, a Mk1 was in front of a Mk6, and I was in a Mk4 alongside, I was in between sizes but the difference was monumental...

I've noticed this too

My son has a Mk1 Golf & it's significantly smaller than his girlfriend's 2013 Polo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:08 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
I suggested to a friend that a 9-5 estate would be an ideal family runabout for his wife. But he said that the problem was that she was fearful of driving big cars and was happy with her four year old Mini and didn’t want anything bigger. Then she came home and parked alongside my 9-5 estate... :)

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...