UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:07 am 
Active user

Car Model: Saab 9.5 build end 2004
Denso screen problems after battery disconnect?

Does anybody know anything about this?

I have been talking to a Saab Shop and they claim that the Denso has a software fault. When you disconnect the Battery it happens, and the screen with the clock is no longer available. Now I have disconnected the battery several times over the years and I never had this happen. I did however disconnect the Battery this time for a small electrical repair, after that the Denso had the problem.

Is anybody aware of this? And if so what is the solution?

Saab 9.5 2005 model

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:22 am 
Active user

OK I discovered more. Via the Saab Club NL I found the following info. It is, apparently, a known problem and seems to be a software fault.

If you disconnect the Battery it happens. You can no longer set the clock and there is a stripe through the GPS symbol. However the Navigation still works so there seems to be a GPS signal.

It is a software bug in all Denso units from 2005 till 2010. US Cadillac’s apparently have it too and apparently the Corvette C6 has it too. According to the poster is GM working on it.

If I find out more, I post.

Still, I be interested to hear if anybody has the problem or has a solution or other information.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:09 pm 
Active user

OK found more

https://www.spirent.com/blogs/positioning/2018/january/gps-rollover-week

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:45 pm 
Active user

Found more, following cars have the same problem:

Corvettes, Cadiillac STS's, Tahoes, and Suburbans are all affected.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:56 am 
Active user

Car Model: 2009 9-5 Aero 260 HOT
Anyone managed to fix this yet?

I found this, which was published 14 June but I've not had a chance to try it yet.

https://desk.zoho.com/portal/infotainme ... ite-signal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:15 am 
Active user

Good link GoodOldBakes, thanks. And no, mine is still not showing the time and did not hear of a solution as of now. I have/follow threads in several forums and up to now no solution found.

I will try it later when I am back home to see if it works. Will report back.

Anybody tried this already?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:04 pm 
Active user

GoodOldBakes wrote:

I found this, which was published 14 June but I've not had a chance to try it yet.

Just checked in my 9.5 and I get stuck at “Settings> Display>”.

I have no such thing. I have my start screen, Menu > with 5 options to choose from. None of them is Settings. I have: Enter Destination – Stored Locations – RDS/TMC – Navigation Setup – Route Points.

Anybody been successful?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:03 pm 
Active user

ChangeAgent wrote:
GoodOldBakes wrote:

Just checked in my 9.5 and I get stuck at “Settings> Display>”.

I have no such thing. I have my start screen, Menu > with 5 options to choose from. None of them is Settings. I have: Enter Destination – Stored Locations – RDS/TMC – Navigation Setup – Route Points.

Anybody been successful?

Didn't work for me either - same reason as you. Must be for a US model or something.

That blog that you put the link up for seems to make sense as all of a sudden, since the turn of the year, this issue is being repeated all over with regularity. Surprised there's not more on here reporting it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:33 pm 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
Rather a lot of us ditched the Denso head unit when it died. 2013 in my case...

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:39 pm 
Active user

sgould wrote:
Rather a lot of us ditched the Denso head unit when it died. 2013 in my case...

I kinda like it in the same way that people like steam punk... :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:56 am 
Active user

Car Model: 9-5 Aero MY06 Saloon
Has your Denso firmware ever been updated? What year maps are you using? (2008+ would mean your firmware has at some point been updated).

I just got a MY06 9-5 Aero with the Denso SatNav and I did not encounter this problem when I removed and conditioned the car battery. But, I had already updated the firmware when I installed 2015 maps as it was on the original 2006 maps and about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot. Reading that Blog you linked to suggests that new firmware releases often reset the countdown to that GPS "feature". It will depend on the degree of laziness of the manufacturer and I have no idea what's in Denso's firmware, but my experience suggests the GPS rollover week problem has at least been reset by the firmware update.

NB its still possible that they have never sorted/postponed this with firmware updates and we are all on different countdowns based on the date/version of our units original firmware.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:02 am 
Active user

bernardc wrote:
Has your Denso firmware ever been updated? What year maps are you using? (2008+ would mean your firmware has at some point been updated).

I am on the original DVD and never had an update.

bernardc wrote:
I just got a MY06 9-5 Aero with the Denso SatNav and I did not encounter this problem when I removed and conditioned the car battery. But, I had already updated the firmware when I installed 2015 maps as it was on the original 2006 maps and about as much use as a chocolate tea-pot. Reading that Blog you linked to suggests that new firmware releases often reset the countdown to that GPS "feature". It will depend on the degree of laziness of the manufacturer and I have no idea what's in Denso's firmware, but my experience suggests the GPS rollover week problem has at least been reset by the firmware update.

That is an interesting thought.

bernardc wrote:
NB its still possible that they have never sorted/postponed this with firmware updates and we are all on different countdowns based on the date/version of our units original firmware.

And this one too. It would not explain why the Corvette (and other brands) have the same problems, unless they are in the same situation, but it could be uniquely Saab (I mean it was a unique Company was it it not?).

Now the big question for those of us who have the challenge here: Are all of us, who have the problem, on the old software?

Could those of you who follow this thread please report your situation regarding your DVD software situation as in updated or not and if you have the clock problem? Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 3:23 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 9-5 Aero Anniversary
Yes; mine has done it recently after I replaced the old battery with a new one. The car has had the battery disconnected many times previously. I no longer have the clock showing.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:08 am 
Active user

I have the updated software. I checked previously before I bought my updated nav disc. The serial number of the original disc in my system meant that it carried the update and had, in turn, updated the system. Can't remember the serial numbers involved but there's quite a few forum threads on updated nav discs which say which it is.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:02 am 
Active user

Stuart wrote:
Yes; mine has done it recently after I replaced the old battery with a new one. The car has had the battery disconnected many times previously. I no longer have the clock showing.

Sorry to hear.
Can you let us know if it updates itself like I read some folk claim (other forum). Or should you find a solution.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:48 am 
Active user

GoodOldBakes wrote:
I have the updated software. I checked previously before I bought my updated nav disc. The serial number of the original disc in my system meant that it carried the update and had, in turn, updated the system. Can't remember the serial numbers involved but there's quite a few forum threads on updated nav discs which say which it is.

Are you saying you got a new DVD (not the original with the car) and updated the software with it? Or was the update already on your DVD that came with the car?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:52 am 
UKS Encyclopædia G-M

Car Model: 9-5 Aero est. 9-3 Carlsson
My car, built in Nov 2006, came with a DVD that included the updated firmware. It also had instructions on how to load it. But it was already on when I bought the car at a year old.

Once the later disc has been inserted and the firmware updated, that remains in the unit after the disc has been removed. After that you can use a later map update, even if it comes without the firmware.

Everything will be OK in the end. If it's not OK, it's not the end...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:13 am 
Active user

sgould wrote:
My car, built in Nov 2006, came with a DVD that included the updated firmware. It also had instructions on how to load it. But it was already on when I bought the car at a year old.

Once the later disc has been inserted and the firmware updated, that remains in the unit after the disc has been removed. After that you can use a later map update, even if it comes without the firmware.

Thanks for the info!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:44 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Whilst I accept that GM really should be working on a fix for this problem, and implementing it free of charge, GPS technology has advanced considerably since these cars were produced. Now, nine years later there are much better navigation systems available and other technologies are incorporated into the same head unit.

Obviously there are issues with replacing the head unit but, if you need navigation and the other benefits of using it you can either use a stand alone nav unit, a phone/tablet or upgrade. Something tells me that the software fix isn't imminent, it has been some months and the problem was know well before that, a GPS rollover occurred in 1999. It could be argued that the fix should have been implemented as soon as 13 bit dates were introduced.

Personally, I would be replacing the head unit for something with DAB, Bluetooth etc. but the choice is yours.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:50 pm 
Active user

ChangeAgent wrote:
Are you saying you got a new DVD (not the original with the car) and updated the software with it? Or was the update already on your DVD that came with the car?

The original disc which came with it already had the update. It's a 2009 car so the unit may even have been updated before it left the factory?

I'm not going to get too hung up about it, it's only the clock. As long as the radio and sat nav work as they should, I'm ok. I've just ordered one of those cheap mini analogue clocks from eBay for under a fiver, so I'll stick that on the little square on the opposite side to the cigar lighter.