UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:13 pm

All times are UTC



Forum rules


IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:51 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: London & Suffolk
Car Model: Saab 99 Turbo
robschoice wrote:
made £2049.99 !!


https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223345773421 ... fresh=true

I hope it pops up on UKSaabs then we can see the progress perhaps


Yes, hopefully selling for over £2K means it will be restored and not broken for parts... Anyone on here know who bought it? :corn:

_________________
Black 99T
Beige 99T
Red 99T
Black 99GL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:06 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: London & Suffolk
Car Model: Saab 99 Turbo
Whoopsie, back on Flea-Bay with a £2k price and short auction...

_________________
Black 99T
Beige 99T
Red 99T
Black 99GL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm
Posts: 12
Car Model: Saab 99T 5dr
Hello!

My name is Martin. I can confirm that I have bought this rare Saab and it should be with me next week. I looked at it and was surprised how un-rotten it is! Although I am used to British cars which rot in about 5 minutes. The rot around the tailgate, front wing and screen is no big worry to me (my last project was an MGB GT... enough said!).

I plan to fully restore this car to a high standard (I'm 26, in the classic car trade, and work for a friend who restores Aston Martin DB5's and 6's, jag E-types etc), and it will be completely factory spec. I'm very new to the Saab scene but I'm sure this forum will come in useful. And my research does confirm this is a genuine car. I've always been an enthusiast of the 'other' Swedish car company, but this seems far more exciting!

I will be documenting this on my Instagram account (the same as my Username, marty-arb), and will be venturing onto Youtube. Fingers crossed it arrives safe! Next week is going to take forever..

edit: Not the same as my username! It's marty_arb ... forgot the underscore


Last edited by marty-arb on Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 pm 
Offline
Shotgun
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 pm
Posts: 12370
Location: 'Ull
Car Model: 95 Aero Auto Est Stg 1 Noobed
Welcome to UKS :D

Nice first venture into Saab ownership. 8)

Please also document your restoration here... viewforum.php?f=35 (Your Cars), as there will be many here that will follow the Topic with much interest, and also provide you with advice when needed :wink:

_________________
Min bil läcker inte,

den bara markerar sitt territorium


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm
Posts: 12
Car Model: Saab 99T 5dr
Shalien wrote:
Welcome to UKS :D

Nice first venture into Saab ownership. 8)

Please also document your restoration here... viewforum.php?f=35 (Your Cars), as there will be many here that will follow the Topic with much interest, and also provide you with advice when needed :wink:


Thank you! I'll keep it up to date. My original post disappeared after I tried to edit it (put the wrong Instagram name in), but hopefully it will be back soon.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:46 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 120
Location: Cardiff
Car Model: 9-5 Aero, 900T, 99T x 2
Welcome as well, and just followed on Instagram.

I also have a 99T 5dr awaiting restoration (a black one), so as others have said just ask away with questions & also plenty of pictures!

_________________
2004 9-5 Aero
1992 900 T16 5dr
1979 99 Turbo 5dr
1978 99 Turbo 3dr


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:27 pm 
Offline
Light Pressure Turbo

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:52 am
Posts: 345
Location: Cleveland North East
Car Model: 99T
well done that man. the start of a very special journey ;-)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:28 pm 
Offline
Full Pressure Turbo

Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:10 am
Posts: 656
Location: West Berks
Car Model: XC70.....
marty-arb wrote:
Hello!

My name is Martin. I can confirm that I have bought this rare Saab and it should be with me next week. I looked at it and was surprised how un-rotten it is! Although I am used to British cars which rot in about 5 minutes. The rot around the tailgate, front wing and screen is no big worry to me (my last project was an MGB GT... enough said!).

I plan to fully restore this car to a high standard (I'm 26, in the classic car trade, and work for a friend who restores Aston Martin DB5's and 6's, jag E-types etc), and it will be completely factory spec. I'm very new to the Saab scene but I'm sure this forum will come in useful. And my research does confirm this is a genuine car. I've always been an enthusiast of the 'other' Swedish car company, but this seems far more exciting!

I will be documenting this on my Instagram account (the same as my Username, marty-arb), and will be venturing onto Youtube. Fingers crossed it arrives safe! Next week is going to take forever..

edit: Not the same as my username! It's marty_arb ... forgot the underscore


Thanks for buying this. I was exceptionally tempted by it. If I had the space I would have clicked buy it now.

_________________
2004 XC70, 1965 VW Split Screen crew cab, 1955 Standard 10.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:11 am 
Offline
Arkwright.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Posts: 43147
Location: NETTLEHAM, LINCOLNSHIRE
Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Nice one, looking forward to progress reports.

_________________
When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:13 am 
Offline
Arkwright.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Posts: 43147
Location: NETTLEHAM, LINCOLNSHIRE
Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Shalien wrote:
Welcome to UKS :D

Nice first venture into Saab ownership. 8)

Please also document your restoration here... viewforum.php?f=35 (Your Cars), as there will be many here that will follow the Topic with much interest, and also provide you with advice when needed :wink:



This is more suited to Restorations & Major Projects than Your Cars.

viewforum.php?f=63

_________________
When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 am 
Offline
Active user
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:18 pm
Posts: 147
Location: Bury St Edmunds
Car Model: 1985 900 T16s Abbott T7
Following your journey Martin, great to see you bought it.

_________________
1985 900 T16s Abbott T7
2012 BMW 325d Coupe


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm
Posts: 12
Car Model: Saab 99T 5dr
Thanks all! I'm very excited to do it. I sold a Morris 8 at the weekend in order to fund my next project. So I went to ring up about a Volvo Amazon Monday morning, but it had sold. Had a browse in the Saab section and found this. Rang up about it, hopped in the car and made the 3.5 hour trip to Essex, and then bought it. Never in a million years expected to ever own something this rare and interesting! I've always loved the pre-GM Saabs.

I went to view a decent sized workshop to rent this morning and have gone for it, so it'll be a lot easier to work on in there than the double garage I used to sort out the MG. I'm also equipping it with a ramp so everything can be done properly. Should be starting the strip down next month!

aldoha wrote:
Welcome as well, and just followed on Instagram.

I also have a 99T 5dr awaiting restoration (a black one), so as others have said just ask away with questions & also plenty of pictures!


Wow! A black one is rare. I understand they only made about 5? Thank you very much for that. The big hurdle with this one is that a lot of the exterior trim and all the badges are off the car in boxes, so pictures of an original one will help later on in the restoration. Small potatoes though! Need to get busy with the welder and a sander first. :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:26 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:45 pm
Posts: 120
Location: Cardiff
Car Model: 9-5 Aero, 900T, 99T x 2
Great to hear that I can help. There will be a few trim differences depending it yours is a 78 or 79 year car - but not a problem there as the one other black 5dr we know of is a 78, whereas mine is the 79! Also, there was the red 5dr that used to live in Ireland which the previous owner on here has plenty of pictures of.

Here’s mine (needing done) & Mike’s (already done!)
Attachment:
2553AB51-F916-40EB-9E54-F19F08558778.jpeg
2553AB51-F916-40EB-9E54-F19F08558778.jpeg [ 86.08 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]


Notice that Mike’s 78 (bottom pic) has a thinner chrome window trim for example.


Attachments:
03EF0C2D-9361-411C-A2B0-74DC04DB2855.jpeg
03EF0C2D-9361-411C-A2B0-74DC04DB2855.jpeg [ 193.85 KiB | Viewed 380 times ]

_________________
2004 9-5 Aero
1992 900 T16 5dr
1979 99 Turbo 5dr
1978 99 Turbo 3dr
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:26 pm 
Offline
Saab Nut

Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:23 pm
Posts: 1995
Location: London & Suffolk
Car Model: Saab 99 Turbo
Nice one! I went to see this car and met Paul the seller. He seemed genuinely gutted to have lost his battle with the council regarding his car collection and storage and really didn’t want this car to be broken for spares... I look forward to seeing it come back to life. Peter

_________________
Black 99T
Beige 99T
Red 99T
Black 99GL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:01 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:38 pm
Posts: 12
Car Model: Saab 99T 5dr
aldoha wrote:
Great to hear that I can help. There will be a few trim differences depending it yours is a 78 or 79 year car - but not a problem there as the one other black 5dr we know of is a 78, whereas mine is the 79! Also, there was the red 5dr that used to live in Ireland which the previous owner on here has plenty of pictures of.

Here’s mine (needing done) & Mike’s (already done!)
Attachment:
2553AB51-F916-40EB-9E54-F19F08558778.jpeg


Notice that Mike’s 78 (bottom pic) has a thinner chrome window trim for example.


That's fabulous, thank you! These black ones seem common as muck now. Mine is apparently a 79, but has the slim window trim. However the doors are clearly not the originals, bit weird that the older style may be fitted though? However, I'm not massively worried about that. Would I be right in thinking that a lot of the door and window seals would be the same as a 900?

I'll stop myself from asking any more questions on this thread now until the car arrives. 8)

flying-dutchman wrote:
Nice one! I went to see this car and met Paul the seller. He seemed genuinely gutted to have lost his battle with the council regarding his car collection and storage and really didn’t want this car to be broken for spares... I look forward to seeing it come back to life. Peter


Thank you! Yeah he seems very pleased it's going to someone who's going to restore it. He's even making the trip to Dorset to deliver it himself which is nice.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:34 pm 
Offline
Light Pressure Turbo

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:52 am
Posts: 345
Location: Cleveland North East
Car Model: 99T
The side plastic trim has to be unique to that model

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-99-Exte ... rk:26:pf:0

perhaps of use ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:51 am 
Offline
Arkwright.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Posts: 43147
Location: NETTLEHAM, LINCOLNSHIRE
Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
robschoice wrote:
The side plastic trim has to be unique to that model

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Saab-99-Exte ... rk:26:pf:0

perhaps of use ?


That's the upper protective strip which was an optional extra on 99's & C900's and probably other models as well.

_________________
When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:27 am 
Offline
Arkwright.
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:33 pm
Posts: 43147
Location: NETTLEHAM, LINCOLNSHIRE
Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
As shown here on a C900.


Attachments:
IMG_20190214_0003.jpg
IMG_20190214_0003.jpg [ 1.4 MiB | Viewed 323 times ]

_________________
When you think you know it all, it's a sure sign you don't.
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: 99T five Door
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:16 pm 
Offline
Active user

Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 8:45 pm
Posts: 37
Car Model: 99 EMS Turbo
I wasn't expecting to see 2 out of the 5 black five doors imported into the UK on this thread! I know that Martin Mayfield at JAMSAAB had to scrap another S-reg one about 15 years ago, it had been badly mangled and it wasn't saveable.

The difference between thin chrome trim and thick chrome trim around the windows is related to country of origin, not year. Thin window surrounds were from cars built in Trollhattan in Sweden, thick ones from Uusikaupunki (SAAB Valmet), Finland.

The rubber trim strip along the tops of doors, bonnet edge and rear quarter panels was a feature of all 3 or 5-door 99 turbos. The only variation here was that some had a plasti-chrome insert in them, some didn't. If you look at the official Saab poster for the 99 turbo 5 door, you will see that it had plasti-chrome insert rubbing strips, plasti-chrome wheel arch trims and thicker plasti-chrome horizontal front grille inserts, as it was based on the 5 door GLE bodyshell in Cardinal Red metallic but with 99 turbo engine and gearbox.

All 3-doors had black wheel arch trims.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the restoration!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB