UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:35 pm 
Active user

Car Model: 9-3 HOT Aero convertible
Hi there,
I after some gathered experiences please?
I have recently purchased an early (2000 MY) 9-3 Aero convertible, but it needs a suspension refresh.
It will be used to drive around in a ‘fairly’ leisurely fashion, most of the time, but occasionally I might like to ‘have some fun’. I drive a Renault Megane R26 F1 for my kicks, so this (the SAAB) is my alter ego car.

I’m struggling to decide whether to go full Bilstein B8 shocks and Eibach lowering springs, or try to piece together a Viggen suspension set-up. I believe that the Viggen shocks and springs do lower the car, but not by much, but the Bilstein/Eibach set-up lower by about 30mm. I have had the B&E combo on other vehicles before and have, at times found it quite harsh, what are others experiences?
As it’s a convertible, I really don’t want a super crashy ride as it will just destroy the experience, but it could certainly do with looking a little lower, that’s for sure!

I will also be fitting an Abbot Racing steering rack brace as part of the refresh so some of the shake from stiffer suspension should be kept in check.

Or the other end of the scale is just to refresh with standard OE equipment and waft and roll around.

What other suspension components should I be looking at replacing to get the best out of the work carried out? I only want to do this once, so best do it right first time, hence this post.
Thank you for your thoughts, Ross.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:48 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: og aero,Viggen,TTID wagon
Hi Ross , if you want to sharpen the car up a bit the only choice is what you stated to do the job properly B8/Eibach , if you just want to waft around then refresh the standard set up , don't bother with viggen shocks and springs , if you want to make your car handle the best it can do then the list of mods is long expensive and extensive
Keeny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:09 pm 
Active user

After posting my thoughts up on FB as well, a reasonably recently refreshed suspension set-up was offered - Koni adjustable shocks, new top mounts, Maptun springs, polybushed wishbones, Abbot Racing steering rack bracket and brace, updated rear axel, McPherson struts with new wheel bearings and other necessary bits to make it better. Looks like I’ll be having a sporty convertible 8)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:17 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: og aero,Viggen,TTID wagon
:D Enjoy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:58 pm 
Active user

keeny wrote:
:D Enjoy

Thanks, I will once I’ve collected it all, sworn a lot, got greasy/bleedy and then put away all the tools ;)
Oh and then got the geometry sorted :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:01 pm 

Car Model: 93 ttid aero convertible
How did it go .. i've just changed front springs on our aero ttid convertible

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:55 pm 
Active user

Evo3man wrote:
How did it go .. i've just changed front springs on our aero ttid convertible

Not yet done!
I’ve been collecting together all the bits prior to either handing it over to someone else to do, or attempting to have a go myself :|
I’ve also ordered a new pair of poly bushed lower control arms as the ball joints on the 2nd hand ones were FUBAR! And the drop links looked rough too, but the poly bushes on them are fine, so they will get re-used. Plus I’d like to tidy up the Koni shocks before I fit them, which means borrowing my Dads compressor and sand blasting kit and getting busy with it!
It will be a little while before she’s back on the road with all the mods and improvements. As long as it’s by May, then I’ll be happy :D
Also got a sump drop, breather kit, vacuum pipe and remap to do.......... :?
Then! I can clean her and make her shine like new again :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:08 am 
Active user

Suspension mods happening this weekend - at last!
She's now road legal and looking forward to the summer sun, as am I 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:27 am 

Car Model: 9-3 Aero HOT Conv Noobtune S1
Well, is the job now done? I'm intrigued. I have mine booked in to have some Abbott Racing Springs and Boge Dampers fitted next week. I bought them off eBay a year or so ago but just haven't got round to getting them fitted. Like you, I also have an Aero convertible. Mine is a 2002 (noobtuned Stage 1). My question though is whether to use wheel spacers. I've seen a few threads on the subject. The most extreme was 30mm rear and 16mm front from memory. I'm thinking 16mm front and rear, but wondered what yours looks like with standard wheels and the 30mm lowered suspension. Abbott is also 30mm. The first owner specified an option 'Standard Ride Height' rather than Aero (why????), so I'm looking forward to mine looking like an Aero should.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:21 pm 
Active user

markjoandalice wrote:
Well, is the job now done? I'm intrigued. I have mine booked in to have some Abbott Racing Springs and Boge Dampers fitted next week. I bought them off eBay a year or so ago but just haven't got round to getting them fitted. Like you, I also have an Aero convertible. Mine is a 2002 (noobtuned Stage 1). My question though is whether to use wheel spacers. I've seen a few threads on the subject. The most extreme was 30mm rear and 16mm front from memory. I'm thinking 16mm front and rear, but wondered what yours looks like with standard wheels and the 30mm lowered suspension. Abbott is also 30mm. The first owner specified an option 'Standard Ride Height' rather than Aero (why????), so I'm looking forward to mine looking like an Aero should.

Yes, it is done!
Well most of it :?
It took a whole day of f-ing about building the refurbished McPherson struts, getting the old ones out, undoing various seized bolts and completely rebuilding the suspension, arms and all. I’d bought new KYB top mounts, but the original 103k SAAB ones were better and smoother, so I left them alone. I have yet to try adjusting the damping from their softest setting on the KONI’s but needless to say, it is SOoooo much better. I think the original shocks were totally shot. The difference was/is night and day. I reckon it’s taken about 50+ miles for them to settle, but they now feel great.

I still need to reduce body roll though, that should be achieved this weekend with the addition of an updated rear 22mm ARB and the swapping of the rear shocks (didn’t get time the other weekend, just changed the springs)

The ride height on the MAPTUN springs has dropped around 40mm :shock:
And looks a whole lot better for it. I’ve also got some 17” rims being refurbished and the best Continental PC6’s to go on, and like you think it needs spacers more than ever now. I think I’ll be going 20mm front + 25mm rear. I’ve heard/read that this is a good combination.

I’ll do another update after this weekends work.......

More tasks needing doing before I’m satisfied with it though. As with all project cars, there’s always more to do :wink: