UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:13 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:00 am 
Hello,

Very nerdy question.

On my last few cars (BMW's) I have gutted the factory fitted radio and fitted a DIY PCB with a higher quality amplifier, DAB and Bluetooth and refitted the original unit so the look, feel and functionality of the factory radio is retained but dragging it in to the 21st century with firmware that looks pretty stock, but obviously has extra functions for DAB, BT etc.

I still have the board gerber drawn, so with a bit of fiddling I wouldn't mind having one rolled for the Saab to avoid the shame of a shonky looking aftermarket radio.

However, all I have designed has used an intograted display which is pretty trivial to work with, I assume the Saab uses CANBUS as the protocol to the dash display.

Before cracking out the LA does anybody have any details on the display protocol?

Any advice most welcome :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:08 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 96 V4 & 9-3 Turbo-X
Yes

The WIS (saab dealer service manuals) has a better description than i can give, its available online or if you pm me I'll put it on googledrive for you to download.

In brief its 0/5V on a signal wire or wires to give binary messages which include an identifier for the message (eg engine rpm) and the information itself. Cant remember the frequencies for the 2 systems, but there is a high speed bus for powertrain, p-bus, and a low speed bus for infotainment, i-bus. The 03 to 06 9-3 also had an optical bus for the radio, amp and navigation, o-bus, not much you can do with that one though.

There is a guy in Sweden whos done a lot of work on the system and created the eSID system which provides a lot more options for the display. I dont know if he would help you or not.

I'm very interested in this as a project. I'm contemplating something similar myself, but using an android tablet to read the CANBUS and provide radio-like outputs, but with googlemaps.