UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:07 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR NEW TOPIC TITLES
For Workshop questions, please include year, model and a brief description of the issue in the thread title (in order to assist others to assist you),
This forum is not to be used to advertise items for sale or for items wanted, please use the classifieds for such posts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:42 pm 

Car Model: 99
Fitted a new engine into the 99. While reconnecting everything, the gear lever pushed the gear rod in a bit and it now seems to be stuck in reverse - with the car on axle stands, both wheels go backwards. But no matter what we do, we can't quite get the pins to line up to reconnect the lever-rod, it's almost like the lever needs to be moved a bit more to the left of the 1/2 position for the whole to line up, which makes no sense when it's appearing to be going backwards...
The other odd thing is that although the engine appears to be driving the wheels, the reverse is not possible. You'd expect to be able to turn the wheels and make the engine turn (i.e. bump-starting) but it appears to be completely locked up and can't be budged. The rod on the gearbox doesn't seem to be movable now.
Anyone have any thoughts before we pull everything back out again? I don't really fancy pulling a gearbox apart as it's not something I've ever done before...

The box is on a 77 2.0 engine which we're fitting to replace my broken 1.85- if the box seems to be duff, is it compatible with the one off the 1.85 or are they different? They look pretty identical but I don't know if that's quite enough...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:05 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Don't quite understand quite what you are saying but regardless off what gear is selected (forwards or reverse) you should be able to turn the engine and gearbox over in either direction. In higher gears (4th) it should be easier to turn the engine using the road wheels. In 1st (or reverse) it will be quite difficult.

I suggest you forget about the gear linkage (disconnect it) and try all the gears by selecting each in turn and checking the gearbox turns in both directions in each gear. Assuming the clutch is all connected up and bled jam the pedal down so you are not turning the engine as well. If it jams up there must be a problem in the 'box.

Just to clarify, is this a post '75 gearbox in a pre '75 car? If so I'm sure the gearbox is either wider or narrower across the inner drive joints. Either way the driveshafts will either bottom out or fall out of the inner drive couplings under certain conditions unless you have done something to allow for this.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:12 pm 

Thanks Pete- it's rather hard to explain, but we can't select any gear as the selector rod now won't budge (it will neither rotate nor move in/out) the engine turns the wheels but vice-versa is impossible, turning the wheels won't budge.

It is indeed a post-75 engine/box in a pre-75 car. Interesting you say the widths are difference as it all seemed to go together okay, but that's something to double check...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:35 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Okay, so at the moment is the gear linkage totally detached from the gearbox? If not, what I'm wondering is if while the selector rod was detached it has got tangled up in the reverse lock and won't move freely. So what I suggest is getting it totally disconnected and then seeing if you can select gears at the gearbox. Doesn't explain why it will turn one way and not the other though.
If this is what you are already trying to do then it does sound like there might be a problem in the 'box. However as I suggested before you really need to operate the clutch as the gearbox needs to be 'unloaded' for the gears to slide in and out.
As far as the width across the drivers is concerned I would pull the gaitors on the drive cups back and see how far the tripods are buried in the drivers. You might find it's not a problem but I've got a feeling that under extreme conditions (ie hard cornering and bumpy road) that one of the driveshafts pops out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:20 pm 

Well we think we fixed it.

Pulled the engine back out and removed the side panel from the gearbox.
It was indeed in reverse, but without the selector in the detent. That was still sat between the 3/4 part. No idea how it got like that, but slid reverse out manually, checked it all moved ok, refitted engine and connected linkage.
Can now select all the gears!

Next problem is an electric water pump as the jackshaft and pump gears both missing teeth...