UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:34 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm
Posts: 3150
Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
Ian78 wrote:
Nobody mentioned the Saab 9-2x.

Image
x men days of future past last scene

I would love one!!

_________________
Buy the ticket take the ride...

Peace, Gbn x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 am 
Offline
UKSaabs Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:53 pm
Posts: 16313
Location: Devon
There was a 9-2X at the SOC Saabfest last year. Looks vaguely interesting but I don't think it was much more than a Subaru with a Saab badge and some new front and rear panels. I'm fairly sure the interior is still a bit poor-looking. I wouldn't go out of my way to own one.

_________________
www.SAABits.com - helping to keep Saabs on the road
10% Discount for UKS members: enter code UKS2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:39 am 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm
Posts: 3150
Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
BillJ wrote:
There was a 9-2X at the SOC Saabfest last year. Looks vaguely interesting but I don't think it was much more than a Subaru with a Saab badge and some new front and rear panels. I'm fairly sure the interior is still a bit poor-looking. I wouldn't go out of my way to own one.

Sure it received a lot of fine tuning in chassis and steering departments,,calling it just a Saab badged Subaru is as disingenuous as calling a gm900/9-3 a Saab badged cavalier or vectra, or a c30 t5 Volvo a Volvo badged focus St. Saab had a strong customer base in USA, a simple sheet metal change would never have been enough.

Obviously, I bow to superior saabiste knowledge if I am talking rubbish, but am sure I read contemporary reports stating above?

_________________
Buy the ticket take the ride...

Peace, Gbn x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:44 am 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:02 pm
Posts: 7128
Location: Reading, Saabshire
Car Model: Merc A200d AMG 7sp DCT
gbn wrote:
BillJ wrote:
There was a 9-2X at the SOC Saabfest last year. Looks vaguely interesting but I don't think it was much more than a Subaru with a Saab badge and some new front and rear panels. I'm fairly sure the interior is still a bit poor-looking. I wouldn't go out of my way to own one.

Sure it received a lot of fine tuning in chassis and steering departments,,calling it just a Saab badged Subaru is as disingenuous as calling a gm900/9-3 a Saab badged cavalier or vectra, or a c30 t5 Volvo a Volvo badged focus St. Saab had a strong customer base in USA, a simple sheet metal change would never have been enough.

Obviously, I bow to superior saabiste knowledge if I am talking rubbish, but am sure I read contemporary reports stating above?


It was just a Subaru, with a Saab badge stuck on.
Built on the Subaru production lines along with all their other cars.
I had the use of one for a few weeks out in the states many years ago, and i dont think Saab had any input into the car at all.

_________________
16 Merc A200d 2.2d DCT AMG, BRABUS D2
92 9000 CSE 2.0T TD04, Wasaabi II
08 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 Elite.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 am 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:41 am
Posts: 2732
Location: Royal Tunbridge Wells
Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
From what I have read on Wiki etc Saab 'retuned' the suspension to make it softer, slightly improved the interior plastics and dash and schanged the wheels but that's about all.

_________________
Alan

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:07 am 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:05 pm
Posts: 6043
Location: Near Bicester Oxon
Car Model: XC70 & S60 D5 163s, both
The standard Subaru Wagon needs/needed little or no chassis tuning IMHO - I remember it fondly as having one of the best resolved ride/handling compromises of its time

_________________
That bloke on the left. Yes him. No, I can't see him either.

Woah, hold on, Ezzard's back!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 am 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:45 pm
Posts: 4426
Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
Saab 9-7x.

Image
indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull plot

_________________
Trivago Girl is hot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:28 am 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:05 pm
Posts: 6043
Location: Near Bicester Oxon
Car Model: XC70 & S60 D5 163s, both
It was an undignified death for the brand, right enough :|

_________________
That bloke on the left. Yes him. No, I can't see him either.

Woah, hold on, Ezzard's back!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:43 pm 
Offline
UKSaabs Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:53 pm
Posts: 16313
Location: Devon
gbn wrote:
BillJ wrote:
There was a 9-2X at the SOC Saabfest last year. Looks vaguely interesting but I don't think it was much more than a Subaru with a Saab badge and some new front and rear panels. I'm fairly sure the interior is still a bit poor-looking. I wouldn't go out of my way to own one.

calling it just a Saab badged Subaru is as disingenuous as calling a gm900/9-3 a Saab badged cavalier or vectra

I don't think that's the same thing at all. Calling the 900/9-3 a Cavlier or Vectra, while there is a germ of truth based on the shared platforms, is a bit of a stretch due to the fact that Saab built a very different car from the Vauxhall cousins including, cruciallly, the main engine offerings. While I might banter about it from time to time with people I feel would take the joke, it really isn't the case. The 9-3 I sourced for my dad recently impressed me greatly and certainly isn't a Vauxhall.

gbn wrote:
Saab had a strong customer base in USA, a simple sheet metal change would never have been enough.

And as it turns out, perhaps it wasn't.

[Edit] Having gone Googling, I'll give you that Saab also changed the exhaust to substitute a more boring (refined?), quiet note for the original Subaru burble. Suspension mods appear to have been minimal. Remember that any car re-badging exerciose is always accompanied by loads of marketing effort to convince people that the new car is unique.

_________________
www.SAABits.com - helping to keep Saabs on the road
10% Discount for UKS members: enter code UKS2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm
Posts: 3150
Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
BillJ wrote:
gbn wrote:
BillJ wrote:
There was a 9-2X at the SOC Saabfest last year. Looks vaguely interesting but I don't think it was much more than a Subaru with a Saab badge and some new front and rear panels. I'm fairly sure the interior is still a bit poor-looking. I wouldn't go out of my way to own one.

calling it just a Saab badged Subaru is as disingenuous as calling a gm900/9-3 a Saab badged cavalier or vectra

I don't think that's the same thing at all. Calling the 900/9-3 a Cavlier or Vectra, while there is a germ of truth based on the shared platforms, is a bit of a stretch due to the fact that Saab built a very different car from the Vauxhall cousins including, cruciallly, the main engine offerings. While I might banter about it from time to time with people I feel would take the joke, it really isn't the case. The 9-3 I sourced for my dad recently impressed me greatly and certainly isn't a Vauxhall.

gbn wrote:
Saab had a strong customer base in USA, a simple sheet metal change would never have been enough.

And as it turns out, perhaps it wasn't.

[Edit] Having gone Googling, I'll give you that Saab also changed the exhaust to substitute a more boring (refined?), quiet note for the original Subaru burble. Suspension mods appear to have been minimal. Remember that any car re-badging exerciose is always accompanied by loads of marketing effort to convince people that the new car is unique.

The power of Google certainly suggests that suspension and steering were changed to make things more saabish, I guess only Saab know the extent to which they went. Certainly not just rebadged Subaru.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/sa ... -9-2x-aero

Either way, I would love one.

_________________
Buy the ticket take the ride...

Peace, Gbn x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:57 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm
Posts: 3667
Location: South Oxfordshire
Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
I would be interested in one but the seats seem pure Subaru and they didn't even change the steering wheel or dash to make them particularly Saabish. It's the bits that you touch that matter the most quite often.

It's a vast improvement over the Subaru in terms of exterior visuals though. I would have one based on the fact that the Subaru is interesting to me anyway and the 9-2x is a better looking one! I would not go into it thinking that it'd be as Saabish as either of my 9-3's though. I wouldn't replace either of my 9-3's with one purely for a change though, only if one was terminally broken and a 9-2x came up cheaply at the right time.

_________________
9-3ss SOC Registrar @BHOSaab

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:21 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 am
Posts: 4545
Location: suffolk
Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
that 9-7x needs some bigger wheels and they could be chromier too
they must weight a ton with mahoosive tyres on

it could be anything without the saab grill

_________________
never underestimate the predictability of stupidity


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:36 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:05 pm
Posts: 6043
Location: Near Bicester Oxon
Car Model: XC70 & S60 D5 163s, both
scanditurbo wrote:
that 9-7x needs some bigger wheels and they could be chromier too
they must weight a ton with mahoosive tyres on

it could be anything without the saab grill

Spinners, perhaps?

_________________
That bloke on the left. Yes him. No, I can't see him either.

Woah, hold on, Ezzard's back!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:50 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm
Posts: 3150
Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
TwyRob wrote:
I would be interested in one but the seats seem pure Subaru and they didn't even change the steering wheel or dash to make them particularly Saabish. It's the bits that you touch that matter the most quite often.

It's a vast improvement over the Subaru in terms of exterior visuals though. I would have one based on the fact that the Subaru is interesting to me anyway and the 9-2x is a better looking one! I would not go into it thinking that it'd be as Saabish as either of my 9-3's though. I wouldn't replace either of my 9-3's with one purely for a change though, only if one was terminally broken and a 9-2x came up cheaply at the right time.

It's interesting that the 9-3 is saabish to look at but not a wonderful handler, which was one of the reasons I fell for Saab with v4, 99 and c900, yet saaburu loses Saab visual traits but regains separate driving experience!!!

_________________
Buy the ticket take the ride...

Peace, Gbn x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:55 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 08, 2015 6:45 pm
Posts: 4426
Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
gbn wrote:
[It's interesting that the 9-3 is saabish to look at but not a wonderful handler,


What year?
Mine handles great and only has Eibachs.

_________________
Trivago Girl is hot.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:56 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm
Posts: 3667
Location: South Oxfordshire
Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
gbn wrote:
TwyRob wrote:
I would be interested in one but the seats seem pure Subaru and they didn't even change the steering wheel or dash to make them particularly Saabish. It's the bits that you touch that matter the most quite often.

It's a vast improvement over the Subaru in terms of exterior visuals though. I would have one based on the fact that the Subaru is interesting to me anyway and the 9-2x is a better looking one! I would not go into it thinking that it'd be as Saabish as either of my 9-3's though. I wouldn't replace either of my 9-3's with one purely for a change though, only if one was terminally broken and a 9-2x came up cheaply at the right time.

It's interesting that the 9-3 is saabish to look at but not a wonderful handler, which was one of the reasons I fell for Saab with v4, 99 and c900, yet saaburu loses Saab visual traits but regains separate driving experience!!!
I disagree about the 9-3ss handling! The rear wheel steer and ESP as well as the suspension set up makes for a nicely handling car IMO. A bit crashy with standard shock absorbers on Aero springs but it holds the road exceptionally well. With B6 shocks on Aero springs I find it very good. I have not been able to provoke it to handle poorly yet and I don't hang around! (Saabfest was proof of this)

The OG9-3 vert on the other hand is not a great handling car. Mine has a subframe brace, strut brace, lowering springs and different shock absorbers, all of which help. However, it still wobbles around a bit too much.

_________________
9-3ss SOC Registrar @BHOSaab

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:06 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm
Posts: 3150
Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
TwyRob wrote:
gbn wrote:
TwyRob wrote:
I would be interested in one but the seats seem pure Subaru and they didn't even change the steering wheel or dash to make them particularly Saabish. It's the bits that you touch that matter the most quite often.

It's a vast improvement over the Subaru in terms of exterior visuals though. I would have one based on the fact that the Subaru is interesting to me anyway and the 9-2x is a better looking one! I would not go into it thinking that it'd be as Saabish as either of my 9-3's though. I wouldn't replace either of my 9-3's with one purely for a change though, only if one was terminally broken and a 9-2x came up cheaply at the right time.

It's interesting that the 9-3 is saabish to look at but not a wonderful handler, which was one of the reasons I fell for Saab with v4, 99 and c900, yet saaburu loses Saab visual traits but regains separate driving experience!!!
I disagree about the 9-3ss handling! The rear wheel steer and ESP as well as the suspension set up makes for a nicely handling car IMO. A bit crashy with standard shock absorbers on Aero springs but it holds the road exceptionally well. With B6 shocks on Aero springs I find it very good. I have not been able to provoke it to handle poorly yet and I don't hang around! (Saabfest was proof of this)

The OG9-3 vert on the other hand is not a great handling car. Mine has a subframe brace, strut brace, lowering springs and different shock absorbers, all of which help. However, it still wobbles around a bit too much.

I found my v6 convertible a decent handler, quick to turn and stable, but not a class leading handler, and not as involving as the older cars, but there may be an element of rose tinted glasses there. Having owned an impreza type ra, admittedly a special impreza, I would wager 92x runs rings around any contempary Saab.

_________________
Buy the ticket take the ride...

Peace, Gbn x


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:03 pm 
Offline
UKSaabs Trader
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 12, 2004 9:53 pm
Posts: 16313
Location: Devon
gbn wrote:
Having owned an impreza type ra, admittedly a special impreza, I would wager 92x runs rings around any contempary Saab.

I would be amazed if it didn't. However, that is because it is a Subaru, not because Saab added anything to it. A standard Subaru would probably run rings around any contemporary Saab too.
I'm with you on the "direct" handling. I've never driven a 96 but the two Saabs I have had most fun driving around a circuit were my 90 and Nick's 99T. Neither had power steering and they drove a bit like go-karts. The world's heaviest go-kart, in the case of the 99T, which really had my arms aching by the end of the day. GirlySaabFan's MX-5 would run rings around both of them, though, handling-wise. You can't compare apples to oranges.

_________________
www.SAABits.com - helping to keep Saabs on the road
10% Discount for UKS members: enter code UKS2017


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:26 pm
Posts: 3667
Location: South Oxfordshire
Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
gbn wrote:
TwyRob wrote:
gbn wrote:
It's interesting that the 9-3 is saabish to look at but not a wonderful handler, which was one of the reasons I fell for Saab with v4, 99 and c900, yet saaburu loses Saab visual traits but regains separate driving experience!!!
I disagree about the 9-3ss handling! The rear wheel steer and ESP as well as the suspension set up makes for a nicely handling car IMO. A bit crashy with standard shock absorbers on Aero springs but it holds the road exceptionally well. With B6 shocks on Aero springs I find it very good. I have not been able to provoke it to handle poorly yet and I don't hang around! (Saabfest was proof of this)

The OG9-3 vert on the other hand is not a great handling car. Mine has a subframe brace, strut brace, lowering springs and different shock absorbers, all of which help. However, it still wobbles around a bit too much.

I found my v6 convertible a decent handler, quick to turn and stable, but not a class leading handler, and not as involving as the older cars, but there may be an element of rose tinted glasses there. Having owned an impreza type ra, admittedly a special impreza, I would wager 92x runs rings around any contempary Saab.
The Subaru/Saabaru is 4wd though, which changes handling somewhat!

I'm happy with my Saab handling, like my 9000 before it the 9-3ss tends towards understeer if anything and is brilliant in snow. It can also be thrown into bends with confidence, much like my 9000 but with less comedy lean. If a contemporary Audi, VW or BMW is the benchmark than I'm glad I have the Saab. I just don't get on with those usual suspects. The 9-3ss is surprisingly fast cross country as well as comfortable.

Saab handling novice driver

_________________
9-3ss SOC Registrar @BHOSaab

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:38 pm 
Offline
UKS Addict

Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:20 pm
Posts: 3150
Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
BillJ wrote:
gbn wrote:
Having owned an impreza type ra, admittedly a special impreza, I would wager 92x runs rings around any contempary Saab.

I would be amazed if it didn't. However, that is because it is a Subaru, not because Saab added anything to it. A standard Subaru would probably run rings around any contemporary Saab too.
I'm with you on the "direct" handling. I've never driven a 96 but the two Saabs I have had most fun driving around a circuit were my 90 and Nick's 99T. Neither had power steering and they drove a bit like go-karts. The world's heaviest go-kart, in the case of the 99T, which really had my arms aching by the end of the day. GirlySaabFan's MX-5 would run rings around both of them, though, handling-wise. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Agreed on all counts. Another poster had mentioned 4wd changes handling, that it does, but it changes, obviously, grip much more. And they are two hugely different things. The attraction of impreza always was to me that it gripped AND handled in a way say, a 4wd Audi never did. Extremely communicative chassis in most Subaru where the modern way seems to be big wheels, big tyres, solid suspension, I'm gripping, I'm gripping, still gripping, ooops, iv let go, sorry, forgot to warn you...!!!

Nowhere did I suggest the saaburu handled so well because of Saab input, they were starting with a class leading platform, whereas GM Saab engineers were always trying to polish a Richard III, albeit they did it wonderfully well!

_________________
Buy the ticket take the ride...

Peace, Gbn x


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gaznod, McVities, owdgit, rob112, Squidula and 12 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

follow UKSaabs on Twitter



UKSaabs silhouette logo images by Mark Green www.greenphotos.com
"subsilver2" slightly bodged by UKSaabs for our own use.

:: Disclaimer ::
Comments posted here are the views of their individual authors and are not necessarily shared by the owners of this Web site.
Authors assume all responsibility for comments posted here.

UKSaabs The biggest and best privately owned UK based independent Saab forum for all SAAB enthusiasts.
Whilst we encourage our users to support our advertisers the site wishes to remain independent and therefore does not endorse any particular advertiser(s)
UKSaabs is not affiliated with Saab Cars UK or Saab Automobile AB