UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:34 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 93 convertible aero v6, bmw z3
Ian78 wrote:
Nobody mentioned the Saab 9-2x.

x men days of future past last scene

I would love one!!

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:12 am 
UKSaabs Trader

There was a 9-2X at the SOC Saabfest last year. Looks vaguely interesting but I don't think it was much more than a Subaru with a Saab badge and some new front and rear panels. I'm fairly sure the interior is still a bit poor-looking. I wouldn't go out of my way to own one.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:39 am 
UKS Addict

BillJ wrote:
There was a 9-2X at the SOC Saabfest last year. Looks vaguely interesting but I don't think it was much more than a Subaru with a Saab badge and some new front and rear panels. I'm fairly sure the interior is still a bit poor-looking. I wouldn't go out of my way to own one.

Sure it received a lot of fine tuning in chassis and steering departments,,calling it just a Saab badged Subaru is as disingenuous as calling a gm900/9-3 a Saab badged cavalier or vectra, or a c30 t5 Volvo a Volvo badged focus St. Saab had a strong customer base in USA, a simple sheet metal change would never have been enough.

Obviously, I bow to superior saabiste knowledge if I am talking rubbish, but am sure I read contemporary reports stating above?

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:44 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Merc A200d AMG 7sp DCT
gbn wrote:
BillJ wrote:

Sure it received a lot of fine tuning in chassis and steering departments,,calling it just a Saab badged Subaru is as disingenuous as calling a gm900/9-3 a Saab badged cavalier or vectra, or a c30 t5 Volvo a Volvo badged focus St. Saab had a strong customer base in USA, a simple sheet metal change would never have been enough.

Obviously, I bow to superior saabiste knowledge if I am talking rubbish, but am sure I read contemporary reports stating above?

It was just a Subaru, with a Saab badge stuck on.
Built on the Subaru production lines along with all their other cars.
I had the use of one for a few weeks out in the states many years ago, and i dont think Saab had any input into the car at all.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:54 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: '03 9-5 2.3 Vector Auto Estate
From what I have read on Wiki etc Saab 'retuned' the suspension to make it softer, slightly improved the interior plastics and dash and schanged the wheels but that's about all.

'03 Saab 9-5 Vector 2.3t Auto Noob Stg 1
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0t SE Convertible
'81 Triumph TR7 DHC

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:07 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: XC70 & S60 D5 163s, both
The standard Subaru Wagon needs/needed little or no chassis tuning IMHO - I remember it fondly as having one of the best resolved ride/handling compromises of its time

Woah, hold on, Ezzard's back!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
Saab 9-7x.

indiana jones and the kingdom of the crystal skull plot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:28 am 
UKS Addict

It was an undignified death for the brand, right enough :|

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:43 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

gbn wrote:
BillJ wrote:

calling it just a Saab badged Subaru is as disingenuous as calling a gm900/9-3 a Saab badged cavalier or vectra

I don't think that's the same thing at all. Calling the 900/9-3 a Cavlier or Vectra, while there is a germ of truth based on the shared platforms, is a bit of a stretch due to the fact that Saab built a very different car from the Vauxhall cousins including, cruciallly, the main engine offerings. While I might banter about it from time to time with people I feel would take the joke, it really isn't the case. The 9-3 I sourced for my dad recently impressed me greatly and certainly isn't a Vauxhall.

gbn wrote:
Saab had a strong customer base in USA, a simple sheet metal change would never have been enough.

And as it turns out, perhaps it wasn't.

[Edit] Having gone Googling, I'll give you that Saab also changed the exhaust to substitute a more boring (refined?), quiet note for the original Subaru burble. Suspension mods appear to have been minimal. Remember that any car re-badging exerciose is always accompanied by loads of marketing effort to convince people that the new car is unique.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:21 pm 
UKS Addict

BillJ wrote:
gbn wrote:
BillJ wrote:

calling it just a Saab badged Subaru is as disingenuous as calling a gm900/9-3 a Saab badged cavalier or vectra

I don't think that's the same thing at all. Calling the 900/9-3 a Cavlier or Vectra, while there is a germ of truth based on the shared platforms, is a bit of a stretch due to the fact that Saab built a very different car from the Vauxhall cousins including, cruciallly, the main engine offerings. While I might banter about it from time to time with people I feel would take the joke, it really isn't the case. The 9-3 I sourced for my dad recently impressed me greatly and certainly isn't a Vauxhall.

gbn wrote:
Saab had a strong customer base in USA, a simple sheet metal change would never have been enough.

And as it turns out, perhaps it wasn't.

[Edit] Having gone Googling, I'll give you that Saab also changed the exhaust to substitute a more boring (refined?), quiet note for the original Subaru burble. Suspension mods appear to have been minimal. Remember that any car re-badging exerciose is always accompanied by loads of marketing effort to convince people that the new car is unique.

The power of Google certainly suggests that suspension and steering were changed to make things more saabish, I guess only Saab know the extent to which they went. Certainly not just rebadged Subaru.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/sa ... -9-2x-aero

Either way, I would love one.

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:57 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
I would be interested in one but the seats seem pure Subaru and they didn't even change the steering wheel or dash to make them particularly Saabish. It's the bits that you touch that matter the most quite often.

It's a vast improvement over the Subaru in terms of exterior visuals though. I would have one based on the fact that the Subaru is interesting to me anyway and the 9-2x is a better looking one! I would not go into it thinking that it'd be as Saabish as either of my 9-3's though. I wouldn't replace either of my 9-3's with one purely for a change though, only if one was terminally broken and a 9-2x came up cheaply at the right time.

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:21 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 1993 9000 2.0 cse
that 9-7x needs some bigger wheels and they could be chromier too
they must weight a ton with mahoosive tyres on

it could be anything without the saab grill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:36 pm 
UKS Addict

scanditurbo wrote:
that 9-7x needs some bigger wheels and they could be chromier too
they must weight a ton with mahoosive tyres on

it could be anything without the saab grill

Spinners, perhaps?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:50 pm 
UKS Addict

TwyRob wrote:
I would be interested in one but the seats seem pure Subaru and they didn't even change the steering wheel or dash to make them particularly Saabish. It's the bits that you touch that matter the most quite often.

It's a vast improvement over the Subaru in terms of exterior visuals though. I would have one based on the fact that the Subaru is interesting to me anyway and the 9-2x is a better looking one! I would not go into it thinking that it'd be as Saabish as either of my 9-3's though. I wouldn't replace either of my 9-3's with one purely for a change though, only if one was terminally broken and a 9-2x came up cheaply at the right time.

It's interesting that the 9-3 is saabish to look at but not a wonderful handler, which was one of the reasons I fell for Saab with v4, 99 and c900, yet saaburu loses Saab visual traits but regains separate driving experience!!!

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:55 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
gbn wrote:
[It's interesting that the 9-3 is saabish to look at but not a wonderful handler,

What year?
Mine handles great and only has Eibachs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 4:56 pm 
UKS Addict

gbn wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

It's interesting that the 9-3 is saabish to look at but not a wonderful handler, which was one of the reasons I fell for Saab with v4, 99 and c900, yet saaburu loses Saab visual traits but regains separate driving experience!!!
I disagree about the 9-3ss handling! The rear wheel steer and ESP as well as the suspension set up makes for a nicely handling car IMO. A bit crashy with standard shock absorbers on Aero springs but it holds the road exceptionally well. With B6 shocks on Aero springs I find it very good. I have not been able to provoke it to handle poorly yet and I don't hang around! (Saabfest was proof of this)

The OG9-3 vert on the other hand is not a great handling car. Mine has a subframe brace, strut brace, lowering springs and different shock absorbers, all of which help. However, it still wobbles around a bit too much.

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:06 pm 
UKS Addict

TwyRob wrote:
gbn wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

I disagree about the 9-3ss handling! The rear wheel steer and ESP as well as the suspension set up makes for a nicely handling car IMO. A bit crashy with standard shock absorbers on Aero springs but it holds the road exceptionally well. With B6 shocks on Aero springs I find it very good. I have not been able to provoke it to handle poorly yet and I don't hang around! (Saabfest was proof of this)

The OG9-3 vert on the other hand is not a great handling car. Mine has a subframe brace, strut brace, lowering springs and different shock absorbers, all of which help. However, it still wobbles around a bit too much.

I found my v6 convertible a decent handler, quick to turn and stable, but not a class leading handler, and not as involving as the older cars, but there may be an element of rose tinted glasses there. Having owned an impreza type ra, admittedly a special impreza, I would wager 92x runs rings around any contempary Saab.

Peace, Gbn x

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:03 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

gbn wrote:
Having owned an impreza type ra, admittedly a special impreza, I would wager 92x runs rings around any contempary Saab.

I would be amazed if it didn't. However, that is because it is a Subaru, not because Saab added anything to it. A standard Subaru would probably run rings around any contemporary Saab too.
I'm with you on the "direct" handling. I've never driven a 96 but the two Saabs I have had most fun driving around a circuit were my 90 and Nick's 99T. Neither had power steering and they drove a bit like go-karts. The world's heaviest go-kart, in the case of the 99T, which really had my arms aching by the end of the day. GirlySaabFan's MX-5 would run rings around both of them, though, handling-wise. You can't compare apples to oranges.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
UKS Addict

gbn wrote:
TwyRob wrote:
gbn wrote:

I found my v6 convertible a decent handler, quick to turn and stable, but not a class leading handler, and not as involving as the older cars, but there may be an element of rose tinted glasses there. Having owned an impreza type ra, admittedly a special impreza, I would wager 92x runs rings around any contempary Saab.
The Subaru/Saabaru is 4wd though, which changes handling somewhat!

I'm happy with my Saab handling, like my 9000 before it the 9-3ss tends towards understeer if anything and is brilliant in snow. It can also be thrown into bends with confidence, much like my 9000 but with less comedy lean. If a contemporary Audi, VW or BMW is the benchmark than I'm glad I have the Saab. I just don't get on with those usual suspects. The 9-3ss is surprisingly fast cross country as well as comfortable.

Saab handling novice driver

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:38 pm 
UKS Addict

BillJ wrote:
gbn wrote:
Having owned an impreza type ra, admittedly a special impreza, I would wager 92x runs rings around any contempary Saab.

I would be amazed if it didn't. However, that is because it is a Subaru, not because Saab added anything to it. A standard Subaru would probably run rings around any contemporary Saab too.
I'm with you on the "direct" handling. I've never driven a 96 but the two Saabs I have had most fun driving around a circuit were my 90 and Nick's 99T. Neither had power steering and they drove a bit like go-karts. The world's heaviest go-kart, in the case of the 99T, which really had my arms aching by the end of the day. GirlySaabFan's MX-5 would run rings around both of them, though, handling-wise. You can't compare apples to oranges.

Agreed on all counts. Another poster had mentioned 4wd changes handling, that it does, but it changes, obviously, grip much more. And they are two hugely different things. The attraction of impreza always was to me that it gripped AND handled in a way say, a 4wd Audi never did. Extremely communicative chassis in most Subaru where the modern way seems to be big wheels, big tyres, solid suspension, I'm gripping, I'm gripping, still gripping, ooops, iv let go, sorry, forgot to warn you...!!!

Nowhere did I suggest the saaburu handled so well because of Saab input, they were starting with a class leading platform, whereas GM Saab engineers were always trying to polish a Richard III, albeit they did it wonderfully well!

Peace, Gbn x

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next