UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:17 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Middle lane hogging
PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:43 am 
Arkwright.

Car Model: 99GL, Fiat 500 & Volvo V70
Speeding can be a factor, but its usually not the only factor.

Self righteousness is for the narrow-minded.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 am 
Light Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 2004 95 2.3t Auto
Speeding is often a minor factor caused by them not thinking about what they are doing. If they were able to think about the road/traffic/weather conditions etc then they'd be at an appropriate speed.
I don't class 'just speeding' as inappropriate as I'm sure we all know how many roads out of town can be driven safely above the limit. Just as we know roads that can't be driven safely at a speed below the limit but above what is appropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:04 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900 T16S
This is one thing I hate about driving in the UK, it's not just the middle lane hogging but the complete lack of lane discipline found on the UKs motorways.
I've lost count the number of times whilst driving on an almost deserted motorway in the middle of the night people sitting in the middle and outside lanes, I rarely see anyone using the inside lane !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 am 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Webby wrote:
This is one thing I hate about driving in the UK, it's not just the middle lane hogging but the complete lack of lane discipline found on the UKs motorways.
I've lost count the number of times whilst driving on an almost deserted motorway in the middle of the night people sitting in the middle and outside lanes, I rarely see anyone using the inside lane !

I use that to my advantage though. Come across slow moving traffic on a motorway and the quickest moving lane is nearly always L1. Sit there and cruise past all the lemmings who think L3 is the place to be.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:24 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: C900 T16S
9000Parts wrote:
Webby wrote:

I use that to my advantage though. Come across slow moving traffic on a motorway and the quickest moving lane is nearly always L1. Sit there and cruise past all the lemmings who think L3 is the place to be.

I do that as well, although it's not quite legal !

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:29 am 
Arkwright.

Webby wrote:
9000Parts wrote:
Webby wrote:

If you are already in the inside lane you are doing nothing wrong.

If however you have changed lanes to do the undertake then your in the wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:54 am 
Talking Turkey

Car Model: One of the first RHD 9-5s
Webby wrote:
9000Parts wrote:
Webby wrote:

The law is certainly open to interpretation on that but so long as you dont deliberately move left to pass then its unlikely anything will come of it. You would like to hope that is the Police saw this happen they would pull the lane hog and have a word with them rather than pursue somebody who is maintaining good lane discipline.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:58 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95 Aero Turbo4
There's two ways of looking at passing on the left.

If like 9000Parts you just glide past and keep in L1 as the road in front is clear, then there is no good reason for the law to pursue you.

On the other hand if there is steady moving traffic in the three lanes but middle lane driver is doing a reasonable pace, you sneak in L1 to pass and then retun to L2 once the maneovre has been executed then that is a completely different matter, executed mostly by A-class or A3 Drivers.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:43 pm 
Saab Nut

All this and other problems makes one look forward to autonomous vehicles, computers don't have egos so if it thinks it is a good idea to slow down in a particular situation or stop and give way then it will, too many humans see it as a slight if they have to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:03 pm 
Arkwright.

f-86sabrejet wrote:
All this and other problems makes one look forward to autonomous vehicles, computers don't have egos so if it thinks it is a good idea to slow down in a particular situation or stop and give way then it will, too many humans see it as a slight if they have to do so.

^^^ What he said.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:29 pm 
Saab Nut

Car Model: 93 convertible Aero MMI
I was surprised and I suppose horrified how many drivers went from the 3rd lane - leaving the god knows how long train - to the 1st lane to straight back to the 3rd lane just to jump 3 or 4 cars and squeeze back in on the M4 last weekend. I obviously lead a sheltered life down here in Kent with the M20, I don’t recall ever seeing it done anyway. Anyway, while on the subject of the M4. I recall in the 70’s going to Wales large warning triangles showing the ‘dear’ signs. Didn’t see them going to Bath, are they still on the M4?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:21 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

I didn't know Deer could run that fast ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:20 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
Webby wrote:

There are parts of the network where I wouldn't use lane 1 simply because the surface is in such poor condition. There are areas on the M4 like that, I like my teeth where they are thanks. If the road is in good condition there really is no excuse.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:53 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 95 Aero Turbo4
During my driving training at work - I was taught that the safest lane is Lane 1 of a motorway, since if you suddenly came across stationary traffic and could not stop in time you could use the hard shoulder rather than ram the car in front... how that works if there's a car in the hard shoulder because a) driver NEEDS to make a call or b) precious needs a pee I daren't imagine or if you are on a Smart motorway (like the M3 with no shoulder between 2 and 4a) with no refuge for considerable distances.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:30 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Saab NG 9-5 Aero
There are any number of anomalies on our motorways, from my observations.
Lane 1 is the traffic lane all the rest are overtaking lanes. Yes that is the rule but if there is significant HGV traffic Lane 1 is restricted to around 55. Anyone wanting to drive safely at nearer 70 must either stay in lane 2 or constantly change speed and lane. Much safer to stay in lane 2 until there is a long gap between HGVs, as long as you are actually going faster than they are.

The speed limit is 70 but actually any speed is acceptable, subject to not holding up other traffic. This means that a driver in lane 2 can be doing 56 and passing all the HGVs in lane 1 perfectly legally but making him/her a nuisance and forcing faster traffic into lane 3.

If lane 1 is the traffic lane we shouldn't need more than two lanes, a traffic lane and an overtaking lane, we have four, five and six lane sections thus it is acknowledged that all except lane 3, 4, 5 or 6 are actually traffic lanes.

Variable speed limits don't always work, some times it would be better to leave well alone.

The speed limit is 70, don't get upset if someone else wants to observe the limit, accept that they are expected to do so and leave them room, they will get out of the way when they consider it safe to do so.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:37 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: Saab 9-3 1.8t Vector Sport
My daughter has just finished at Lancaster Uni so I’ve spent many a happy hour over the last 3 years going up and down the M6 on a Sunday afternoon or evening, usually when it’s relatively quiet. My observations from this are numerous. Notables include:

If you join from the M61 northbound, just stay in the inside lane. Everyone else is so desperate to be in the outside two lanes that the inside is generally empty and moving must faster.

If you give people four lanes to play with, there is even more scope to be in completely the wrong lane. People will exploit the possibilities of this to the full.

Those centre lane only dudes are very much present. You’ll be sat in the inside lane doing 70ish (sometimes more ish than 70) with the cruise control on and someone will come steaming past you, which is fair enough. Then a couple of miles up the road they’ll be stuck at 56 behind a lorry overtaking another lorry. Without adjusting your speed you move into the third lane, go past them, and move back into the inside lane. A mile or so later, when the lorries finish their dance, once again they come steaming past. The same car can overtake you 3-4 times without you every varying your speed.

Now and then you come across someone doing 65 in the middle lane of a largely deserted M6. You indicate, move out to the third lane, go past, indicate again, and move back into the inside lane and carry on. All without adjusting speed or turning the cruise off. They then accelerate past you before returning to doing 65, forcing you to either over or undertake again, or slow down. I’ve taken to dropping a cog and giving it death for 20-30 seconds or so to deal with these.

A recent arrival at the party is the self-appointed enforcer of speed limits. This chap is quite happy to sit in the 3rd lane matching his speed perfectly to the traffic in the 2nd lane for mile after mile after mile. He could quite easily drop into the 2nd lane because there’s room for him, but he takes one for the team and sits there keeping the speed to 70, saving all you lunatics from yourselves. I have no issue with people driving at or below the speed limit but that outside lane is an overtaking lane so, whilst in it, you really should **** or get off the pot.

My daughter got her first car last weekend (she passed her test at 17 but putting her on the insurance for either of our cars was prohibitive, and not really necessary when she was at uni). Yesterday, she took her elderly parents (aged 47) out for some sea air. At one point we were on the M58 in the inside lane doing 70mph. A bloke in a Focus came past us in the 3rd lane doing about 70.5mph. There was barely another car in sight yet he felt he needed a full lane of clearance for the slowest overtake in history.
“Why is he in that lane?” asks Kate
“Because he’s a ****ing idiot” says I
“Oh” says Kate.

I’d like to think that teaching people to drive on motorways before their test will help but I’m not 100% convinced.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:03 pm 
Light Pressure Turbo

Teaching people to think might help, without that they'll never be able to drive.

I see all the same sorts of morons on the M18 and in town, one of the many reasons I normally use my bike daily. I don't have to be stuck behind those idiots.