UKSaabs

THE site for UK Saab people!
It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Abbott Racing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:40 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Car Model: 9-5 p/white 9-5 s/grey
In my near 20 years of Saab ownership I have used many suppliers, main dealers, not always, but sometimes left after a service feeling a little short changed, like for instance "have they changed the oil" , "did they adjust the handbrake ?" , "have they actually serviced it at all ? ", well once in 2001 I marked the service items, put the car in for a service at my local main dealer, got the phone call about 4hrs later to pick it up, paid my £650 for a FULL service. Got the car home and found to my annoyance that the only thing changed was the oil and filter, plugs still had the black marker pen on, same as the air and cabin filters. It was that that pushed me into repairing and maintaining my own cars, never looked back, eventually in 2014, after recovering from two serious injuries, i started up my own little known Saab repair business in Tadley, Hampshire, reasonably successful, paid the bills, put food on the table for the kids and paid for some nice holidays away, until my injured back reared its ugly head and 2017 i had to call it a day, this was a hard time for my kids, as my wife and i split in quite a bad way, those that KNOW me will know what steps i took to protect my children, meaning my marriage was certainly over.

In the past as i said, i have obviously done my own repairs and built from the ground up a couple of og93 cars, one is still knocking around in Berkshire, well since my back has detiorated i can no longer really do much work on my own vehicles, bits and pieces but with great difficulty. I always wanted a brand new SAAB, one that was mine from the dealer, never going to happen now :( , so when i saw the 9-5 that was on sale with 30k on the clock i couldn't resist the opportunity view it or miss out on it if it was the one, so i paid the guy three weeks before i had even seen it, on the premise that if i didn't want it then he would refund me the money back, my good friend Rob Whitby (twyrob) performed an epic journey to take me to go and view, when we got there the 9-5 was gleaming, unmarked interior, unworn seats, engine bay was as fresh as the day it left the factory, no leaks, no mess, it had been garaged all its life with only about 2500 miles per year in dry conditions, no rust, sills in mint condition, a serious timewarp car that smelled like factory inside, i've worked on new cars and this was the same. it drove like a new car, no road noise, nothing. I took it home with me. this brings me on to Abbott Racing, I wanted a new Aero saloon, as said that ain't gonna happen, so i asked Abbott to build me a new aero saloon, bodykit, engine mods, handling mods, it won't ever be an aero and im not insinuating that it ever will be, its my car, my money, my way, so the knockers out there can do one ;)

Getting back to Abbott, I had heard in the past that they were expensive, really ? you get what you pay for, there professionalism, honesty, experience ( no one has more) and integrity have left me a bit gobsmacked to be honest, I put down a list of things i would like checked over, to future proof in some ways, things like sills, did i miss something, worn this, worn that, i may have overlooked when in my childlike excitement at roadtesting it, yes i admit i was peeing my pants, you know what i half expected to get a phone call " Ade, you know the arches and sills? well they've had it mate " , did i get that call, no i did not, i got an email telling me they were fine, as i said in an earlier post on another thread, my faith totally restored in the motor trade. I will forever, unless i can do it, put all of my cars into manningtree, knowing full well that Giles and his team of experts, yes, they are true experts, will only do what needs doing, they won't rob me, laugh at me, they will treat with the respect a customer deserves. so, anyway, this is not an advert, its my findings on the best Saab business in the country doing an honest job and damn good job too. you do get what you pay for, Abbott Racing only do it once, because its done properly. Just my two pence worth for anyone thats bothered to read to the end. credit where credit is due.

thank you

Ade Wilkins

Post subject: Re: Abbott Racing
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:01 am 
Site Admin

Car Model: Most of them!
Always nice to hear of good service.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:29 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

TFatC wrote:
Always nice to hear of good service.

it is, anywhere in the world we always here of the horror stories, it's good to hear of decent service, Saabits, for example, fulfill their orders to the letter, always on time and always well packed, again, my findings, it doesn't hurt to relay them once in a while, should help others make an informed decision before they part with their hard earned cash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:44 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9³ Aero 250bhp Maptun, Eibach
Sorry to hear about your split and the back problems.
What year is the car?
Do you have any pictures of it?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:53 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Ian78 wrote:
Sorry to hear about your split and the back problems.
What year is the car?
Do you have any pictures of it?

the split was a blessing in disguise, the back is worse than my face and thats saying something :D

the car is 2004/54 registered... 10/09/2004

here is a sneak preview

Attachments:
bumper3.jpg
bumper3.jpg [ 78.61 KiB | Viewed 375 times ]

Last edited by calam1ty on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:55 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

and one more...

Attachments:
IMG_0569.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG [ 124.17 KiB | Viewed 373 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:56 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

last one for now...

Attachments:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 78.96 KiB | Viewed 372 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:09 am 
UKS Addict

Tidy :)
Will look forward to more pictures.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:13 am 
Full Pressure Turbo

Ian78 wrote:

thank you Ian :) i will put up a thread when its done, i won't do a build thread because I didn't build it, but i did build this one....

from the ground up, every nut and bolt...

Attachments:
lj51xxv.jpg
lj51xxv.jpg [ 263.22 KiB | Viewed 362 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:46 am 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
calam1ty wrote:
Ian78 wrote:

thank you Ian :) i will put up a thread when its done, i won't do a build thread because I didn't build it, but i did build this one....

And very well built it is too. ;)

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:53 pm 
UKS Addict

That blue is just great.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:44 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

TwyRob wrote:
calam1ty wrote:
Ian78 wrote:

cheers mate :) hopefully she is still embarrassing the odd beemer ? ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:45 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Ian78 wrote:
That blue is just great.

Azure Pearl i was led to believe, but i think its more metallic than pearl, its wrapped...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:01 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: 9-3ss Aero 2.0T; OG9-3 vert
calam1ty wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

Had a little but of fun with a Ferrari yesterday on the A33. Until I got a phone call and slowed down to pull over and call back. Probably lack of courage on their part TBH, or it may have been broken.

He thought I'd seen the police and slammed on and tucked in! :D

I swear that cobra has helped the bottom end power a bit, could just be a placebo effect though.

Perhaps you could show Abbott Racing your handiwork and get a position in the "Mad Projects" department? :D

2003(53) 9-3 Aero 2.0T
2002(51) 9-3 Vert auto 2.3 Stg5
2013(63) VW T5

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:11 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

TwyRob wrote:
calam1ty wrote:
TwyRob wrote:

Had a little but of fun with a Ferrari yesterday on the A33. Until I got a phone call and slowed down to pull over and call back. Probably lack of courage on their part TBH, or it may have been broken.

He thought I'd seen the police and slammed on and tucked in! :D

I swear that cobra has helped the bottom end power a bit, could just be a placebo effect though.

Perhaps you could show Abbott Racing your handiwork and get a position in the "Mad Projects" department? :D

As if they need it lol, car still pulling well in third ? that'll be Karl then.... cobra should give you a few more ponies to play with

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:46 pm 
UKS Addict

Car Model: Three wheeler
Great to see u back in the driving seat Ade, give us a shout if I can help :D oh nice looking motor btw...

Sure I can put something together once it’s complete for you, always had a great relationship with Abbott & Giles what a guy 8)

www.noobtune.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:02 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

eddmaster wrote:
Great to see u back in the driving seat Ade, give us a shout if I can help :D oh nice looking motor btw...

Sure I can put something together once it’s complete for you, always had a great relationship with Abbott & Giles what a guy 8)

Thank you Ade, would be good to get together and see whats what, I owe you that to be fair. Giles, he has done nothing but good toward me, i had only ever worked on peoples cars that had Abbott parts fitted, hence my decision to let Abbott take control of this, what ever needs fixing then fix it was my request and Giles has come good on everything, honesty is a key issue in my life, Giles has been honest and thorough throughout this build, yes he is a top bloke :) knows his Saabs, obviously, but he doesn't demean you or come across as aloof, his mannerism and attitude is totally what the Saab community needs, tells you how it is, cannot credit the bloke enough. And while we are on the subject of BTW, BTW E4 is an absolute credit to you, viewtopic.php?f=63&t=176088 , the hard work and enthusiasm is what the Saab world needs, in big doses, the engineering, the graft, the toil, all worth it, E4 is quite possibly the best 9-5 in the country, well done mate, the knockers and critics should take a back seat and take a damn good look at what can be achieved with a SAAB, yes, a SAAB, it doesn't pee out oil, it ain't a rusty old shed, its a SAAB, like it says on the logbook, made in trollhattan, give me a GM Saab any day, they kept me in the seat of a car that i love for nearly 20years, they kept thousands of people employed in this country for a long while, maybe its time to put the matter to bed ? maybe its time to enjoy what we have ? maybe its time for unity ? maybe the modified scene could merge totally with the old school owners ? maybe we could, could, let go of the fact that GM destroyed SAAB, its done, its over, its happened, its yesterdays news for god sake, we should be one and help one another out, not beat ourselves to death with what could have been. ENOUGH. ;)

Last edited by calam1ty on Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:26 pm 
UKSaabs Trader

Car Model: 9-3 9000 Aero 96 V4 Yamaha FJR
Sounds mint Ade, very jealous, looks great in white 8) I am pretty sure this will be a candidate for Dinitrol Corroheat which is a clear protective coating which I use on brand new cars, show cars etc. I have used it on my 96 as it is rust free underneath. If it is really nice underneath you don,t want to cover it in black underbody spray, better to show people how nice it is, especially for those that want to re sell. The other advantage is that you don t hide anything and you can keep an eye on any known rust areas. Morgan use it on some of their new models. It,s also used on road gritters, all over the main body as well and mobile plane steps. It was designed as an engine detailer so is completely heat resistant, not cheap but it goes a long way...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:02 pm 
Full Pressure Turbo

Zagato wrote:
Sounds mint Ade, very jealous, looks great in white 8) I am pretty sure this will be a candidate for Dinitrol Corroheat which is a clear protective coating which I use on brand new cars, show cars etc. I have used it on my 96 as it is rust free underneath. If it is really nice underneath you don,t want to cover it in black underbody spray, better to show people how nice it is, especially for those that want to re sell. The other advantage is that you don t hide anything and you can keep an eye on any known rust areas. Morgan use it on some of their new models. It,s also used on road gritters, all over the main body as well and mobile plane steps. It was designed as an engine detailer so is completely heat resistant, not cheap but it goes a long way...

then i reckon we will go with that then, its entirely up to you what we use on it, your recommendation is good enough for me :) i do want to keep it as fresh as I possibly can, you will see why once you see the car, Abbott have brought an old car bang up to date and i want to keep it that way, its coming down to you as soon as i can get it there... :)